Anyone Used Green Leaf Herbal Tablets For Arthritis?

Guest bunnysmum

Guest bunnysmum

Hi all, my 7-year old ex-racer Bunny has been diagnosed with arthritis. He's on metacalm this week and we've bought some (glucosamin?) tabs recommended by the vet. He's also been getting a teaspoon of omega fish oils in his brekkie (which he hates...)

Anyway, my mum told me about green leaf herbal tabs which she used to give to our old Jack Russell and Springer Spaniel when they had joint trouble as they aged - she said it seemed to work for them. I just wondered if any grey owners had used it to good effect.

Also, any other dietary advice would be great - people have been suggesting sardines but I'm not sure what that would do for Bunny's wind - which can make your eyes bleed at the best of times!

Cheers all, Bunny's Mum!

I personally wouldn't spend a lot of time and money on supplements.

I'd get him on an NSAID.

I've never heard of a dog that doesn't like fish oil. Did you by any chance buy one of the varieties flavored for people?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest bunnysmum

We realised last night I'd bought a fish oil that's got a lemon flavour to it! No wonder poor Bunny didn't like it. Going to get some non-flavoured stuff this weekend and some sardines for him. He's been on an NSAID for a week now and his limping has definitely improved. He even had a bit of a run this morning.

Glad to hear Bunny is feeling better. Not sure what's in the herbal pills but if you give them with NSAIDS, make sure they don't have any blood thinning effects. Otherwise I'd give them a go.

Sardines! chow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest snakes

I don't think i have ever seen Greenleaf tablets here is the US, however it looks like nettles are the primary ingredient which I have heard can be very helpfull for arthritis.

Guest RichardUK

Well - haven't used Green Leaf - but we've had great success with Potters SEATONE brand green lipped mussel extract. Tried other brands but best success with one. Definitely improves pain from Arthritis. Brian was really crippled by it - with Seatone he was able to walk.

I know NSAIDS work, but they also cause a lot of nasty side effects. Any drug that has so many nasty side-effects associated with it would be my last resort. In my opinion they are fine given short term but I would exhaust safer alternatives before resorting to them long term . Anything you give, whether from conventional medicine or alternative you should look at all the ingredients and research what side-effects they have if any. Something you might consider is curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex by Meriva which has been shown to be effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Another product I've used on my bulldog in the past which I found to be very effective was Connectin for Dogs by Inclover. http://inclover.com/connectin_dogs.html#granular I used the powder formula and after about 3 or 4 months of use the limp he had, which was quite severe, disappeared entirely and didn't return until just last year, which was about 6 years after I stopped giving it to him. I'm just not sure what is available to you where your at.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20657536

Panminerva Med. 2010 Jun;52(2 Suppl 1):55-62.

Product-evaluation registry of Meriva®, a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, for the complementary management of osteoarthritis.

Belcaro G, Cesarone MR, Dugall M, Pellegrini L, Ledda A, Grossi MG, Togni S, Appendino G.

Source

Irvine3 Labs, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Chieti-Pescara University, Pescara, Italy.

Abstract

AIM:

A proprietary complex of curcumin with soy phosphatidylcholine (Meriva®, Indena SpA) was evaluated in a registry study to define its efficacy in 50 patients with osteoarthritis (OA) at dosages corresponding to 200 mg curcumin per diem.

METHODS:

OA signs/symptoms were evaluated by the WOMAC scores. Mobility was studied by walking performance (treadmill), and inflammatory status was assessed by measurements of C-reactive protein (CRP).

RESULTS:

After three months of treatment, the global WOMAC score decreased by 58% (P<0.05), walking distance in the treadmill test was prolonged from 76 m to 332 m (P<0.05), and CRP levels decreased from 168 +/- 18 to 11.3 +/-. 4.1 mg/L in the subpopulation with high CRP. In comparison, the control group experienced only a modest improvement in these parameters (2% in the WOMAC score, from 82 m to 129 m in the treadmill test, and from 175 +/- 12.3 to 112 +/- 22.2 mg/L in the CRP plasma concentration), while the treatment costs (use of anti-inflammatory drugs, treatment and hospitalization) were reduced significantly in the treatment group.

CONCLUSION:

These results show that Meriva® is clinically effective in the management and treatment of osteoarthritis and suggest that the increased stability and better absorption of curcumin induced by complexation with phospholipids have clinical relevance, setting the stage for larger and more prolonged studies.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]