White Rice/brown Rice

Guest spsjohnson

Guest spsjohnson

I often see white rice specified in posts and receips. Is there something wrong with brown rice for greyhounds?

Guest RichardUK

I think white is more bland - so slightly better for upset tums if the cause is unknown. I use both without thought - though it is very rare one of mine is ill.

I've always thought brown rice would be more nutritionally beneficial, but I think I've read where it is harder to digest. That is why I think it is advised to feed white rice when dogs have upset tummies and other digestive problems.

The fiber in brown rice can make diarrhea worse in some dogs, so best to start with white.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest IrskasMom

The fiber in brown rice can make diarrhea worse in some dogs, so best to start with white.

ditto

How is Julie doing ???? we all would like to know after 2 Weeks in the Wild ? :huh

Guest Swifthounds

:nod

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest Figmama

When I contacted Dr. Dodds about Ranger's protein problems, we were discussing diets and foods and she wrote back:

"

be sure you steam brown rice twice as long as white rice so he can digest the hulls]"

Over the years, I've given both to my dogs and never noticed any difference. I prefer the brown rice though.

Guest spsjohnson

ditto

How is Julie doing ???? we all would like to know after 2 Weeks in the Wild ? :huh

Julie is doing well. The blood panel taken on the first day came back fine for liver and kidney functions. She has three scrapes that are worth looking at, her front legs are stiff and slightly swollen in the ankle joints, and she is VERY skinny but all in all, she fine. Happy to have regular food and water, happy to have her people and starting to get her personality back.

Guest spsjohnson

ditto

Julie is up to 57 pounds. I just made a batch of high fat/protein meatballs to help her keep putting on weight- its amazing what good hand moisturizers all the ingredients are!