Yikes!

Yesterday, while grooming Wendy, I found two fleas on her butt. None of my dogs has ever had fleas! She's on Sentinel, which destroys flea eggs, but not adult fleas. What is safe to use on Greyhounds to get rid of these nasty critters? Uggghhh! :puke

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'd think you could use Advantage (topical) but check with your vet. I feel for you -- hate those little buggers with a passion.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Batmom. We have an appointment on Saturday for vaccinations and fecal but I can't stand the thought of those things crawling on my girl and in my home. I need to do something now! Ewww. Can flea shampoos (like Adams) be safely used on Greys?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

We use Frontline Plus on our greys. Frontline also makes a spray (clicky). If the spot-on is safe for greys, I imagine that the spray is too. The only problem right now is finding the spray - most places seem to be out-of-stock until June.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Take a peak at Shoo Tags, I have been reading the reviews and they all are a big thumbs up. Some GH people from GFNJ mentioned the product and have started using it, and so far, it's been great

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You can use flea shampoos. You can get Advantage over the counter, tho, at most pet stores, don't need to wait for the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest hlpnhounds

Although, if you are planning to contact your vet anyway, a Capstar will kill the fleas on the dog within 20 minutes and then you can apply Frontline after that as a preventive.

I wonder where she picked them up ?

Although, if you are planning to contact your vet anyway, a Capstar will kill the fleas on the dog within 20 minutes and then you can apply Frontline after that as a preventive.

I wonder where she picked them up ?

I think that Capstar is suggested with the Sentinel protocol for killing adult fleas. I'm calling the vet right now. I'm guessing she picked them up in my MIL's yard which is a haven for the neighborhood feral cats.

Guest BiancasMom

I use Sentinel on my grey as well, but during the summer months I also use a topical. I prefer Revolution or Frontline Plus. They are safe to use at the same time as Sentinel. Boo for fleas!! :angry:

I use Sentinel on my grey as well, but during the summer months I also use a topical. I prefer Revolution or Frontline Plus. They are safe to use at the same time as Sentinel. Boo for fleas!! :angry:

Are Revolution and Frontline Plus sold over the counter?

Are Revolution and Frontline Plus sold over the counter?

Frontline Plus certainly is... (I think Revolution requires a script).

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

These days, Capstar is available at PetSmart. It's an over-the-counter item, usually shelved with the rest of the flea/tick products.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Sunset123

I've had great luck with Advantage.

I also keep a bottle of Adams water-based spray for spraying the dog beds.