Looking For Help With A Part Shepherd Dog

Guest ejw

Someone who visits where I am brings a very nice older dog. The owner obviously lovers her dog and has tried everything she can think of, but Luna is endlessly allover itchy. She keeps Luna in a cone most of the time at home. She has tried duck along with other foods (not sure which) but nothing so far is helping.

Luna has created wounds on her butt, neck, belly and shoulders and taken all the hair off about a 6" strip of her tail chewing at herself. You have to be very careful where you touch her in case you run into a new wound.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Its painful to watch a dog who can't go three minutes without attempting to scratch some part of her body with either her teeth or claws and realize this is Luna's whole day.

I have a JRT that is allergic to grass :rolleyes: I know, weird. Anyway, every summer we go in and get a steroid shot and it really helps her. We usually can get by with only two shots during the summer.

Worth a try anyway...

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest BiancasMom

Usually when dogs get to that point, they should see a veterinary dermatologist. However, a knowledgeable regular vet may be able to help. Sounds like the culprit could be allergies. There could also be secondary infections (yeast and/or bacteria) or even an underlying demodex infection. I would make sure the vet does skin scrapings, and impressions. Sounds like the dog is rather miserable and may need a short course of steroids just to bring some comfort.

Usually when dogs get to that point, they should see a veterinary dermatologist. However, a knowledgeable regular vet may be able to help. Sounds like the culprit could be allergies. There could also be secondary infections (yeast and/or bacteria) or even an underlying demodex infection. I would make sure the vet does skin scrapings, and impressions. Sounds like the dog is rather miserable and may need a short course of steroids just to bring some comfort.

What about benedry? But, a dermatologist sounds like the fix.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest BiancasMom

You could try Benedryl (1mg/pound) but if a dog is so itchy it needs a cone to prevent self multilation, it usually isn't strong enough to help. :(

Edited by BiancasMom

Sounds like allergies and maybe secondary infections from all the scratching and biting. Gee was like this, chewed bare spots all over herself. She is allergic to the grass and pollen and so we first switched her to a grain free food, that helped 90% of her problem. Now we just have to wash off her feet and if I see her start to scratch, I dose her with Benadryl for a couple of days.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Sounds like she definitely has a bad skin infection at this point, and underlying allergies. She needs to see a vet. They will likely do skin scrapings to see if it is yeast, bacteria or both. They will probably put her on oral & topical meds. Would be a good idea to do a STRICT food trial as well. It's going to take a lot of work to get her feeling better and it won't happen without a vet.

Guest tricolorhounds

I'd like to add that my shepherd mix used to do the same thing... she would scratch her rear end on the stucco walls (when we weren't looking ) until the skin was raw. What use to help her was spray on benedryl. Whenever she seemed especially itchy, I'd say lets go get your butt spray... it apparently felt good because she knew to turn around and wait for me to spray some on her.

Edited by tricolorhounds

Guest KennelMom

My BIL had a police k-9 that was allergic to dust. Most people do extra house cleaning because of the dog...they had to keep their house extra clean/dust-free FOR the dog :lol

At any rate...a veterinary dermatologist would probably be in order here. Maybe some prednisone if OTC benadryl isn't cutting it. I'd also make sure she was on a grain free food...raw or homecooked would be preferable, if they're willing to do that. Otherwise, a good quality grain free food (if she's not already on one)

My last dog was a mixed breed and he had allergies to pollen. People tend to jump right to thinking food allergies; there are plenty of dogs who are allergic to things other than food!

Once the dog has scratched and chewed itself to that point, it does need antibiotics and steroids to stop the itching.

Once the symptoms are under control, antihistamines MIGHT help control them. But my dog became so allergic it was nearly year round misery.

Inhalant allergies are a true misery. Some people have success with skin testing/shots, but many dogs don't really respond well to those.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was finally able to pass on the information. She had never heard of a veterinary dermatologist and is going to look into that at well as some of the other suggestions. Again, thanks for the help.