Enzo's Tummy...i Can Hear It Gurgling. Upset Tummy, Quick Help?

Guest issy

Guest issy

Woke up this morning to a hound with a loudly gurgling tummy. Took him outside and he wanted to ravenously eat leaves/grass...vomited a small amount of bile soon afterwards. He was fed last night at normal dinnertime, nothing afterward, but he *did* get into the trash a few days ago and has been having smelly mushy poos from a hamburger and fries, lol. No onions or chocolate as far as I'm aware.

Is this just probably a lack of food issue? It's been about 14 hours since he ate, so totally possible, but he's never done this before when that's happened. That's why I question. After vomiting his tummy is not gurgly. I offered a slippery elm losenge, which he ate, and water and a handfull of his normal kibble. Which he ate about half of. Waiting game at this point? He just burped and he's not stretching/panting/looking in pain, but I'll just monitor him of course.

Any help pr insight is appreciated.

Just seeing this.

Usually when this happens to Rocket, he does vomit some bile. All of the symptoms are the same thing we sometimes wake up to around 4 or 5 AM. We usually give him some bread or part of a hamburger roll and his stomach settles out. If it continues, we will sometimes also give a Pepcid or Gas-X if we hear squeals along with gurgles.

It does usually seem to be an empty stomach. You might want to feed a small snack before bedtime, or reserve some dinner kibble and feed it before bed if this keeps happening.

Hope Enzo is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'd wait a while and see ... one thing I've learned from experience (and vet recommendation seconding it) is that if a dog doesn't want to eat you shouldn't force him. At least not in a situation like this, where the dog clearly has a sudden-onset upset tummy. You might try offering him a small amount of food midday and see what happens -- but don't bribe him to get down more kibble than he wants.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest ravenchilde

This tummy gurgly thing happens to Miley too if she gets too hungry. Her tummy squishes and gurgles can wake me up from sleeping! She always goes outside and tries to eat grass too. I usually just give a little pumpkin when it happens, and the gurgles stop within a few minutes. To combat this now, she gets an evening snack before bed and I haven't heard them in quite a few weeks. Hope this helps!

We have been battling stomach issues w/Dustin....either IBD or Colitis...haven't scoped, but regardless, gurgling, bloody diarreah, no appetite, etc....there are a few topics in this thread on it....

But, I am finding that one of the triggers for mild discomfort (i.e. grass eating and gurgling) is too long between feedings. He seems to do better on smaller, more frequent meals... Every dog is different - so it is a bit of trial and error.

If it continues or he gets diarreah w/blood, you want to contact your vet and get Flagyl (and my vet also uses sucralfate with it). One it an antibiotic for intestinal organisms and the other is a stomach coater.

Good luck!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.