Trying To Understand Behavior

We've had Tracker for a little over a year (my first dog, my husband's second). He's completely fine with other dogs off leash. He was leash reactive in the beginning until we started working with a trainer, which helped a lot. We live in a rural area, and all neighboring dogs are farm dogs who live off leash. There's one in particular, Mambo, a lab, whom Tracker has known since Mambo was a puppy. Mambo has always been intensely submissive. He's now an un-neutered adult. He's friendly with people, and sometimes hangs out by the open gates of his place. Whenever we walk by there on our walks, Tracker always checks whether Mambo is in sight. We'll not go past a certain point, since this is private property, and Tracker is fine just standing and waiting. If Mambo is around, he'll come over to where we are, sending calming signals like walking slowly, turning his head, not looking straight at Tracker; as he gets closer, he'll usually drop to the ground. Tracker will then approach him, sniff Mambo back and front to his heart's content, and Mambo lets it happen. Once that's done, after 15 seconds or so, Tracker has had enough info intake and then does what my question is about: he'll bark and do a HALF play bow which is when Mambo jumps up and scoots away; Tracker will bark some more and rush after Mambo until he reaches the end of the leash, which makes Mambo run off apprehensively. (Mambo, just to clarify, has NEVER shown any signs of aggression, rudeness or anything else that might provoke Tracker; he's always been submissive.) There are no exposed teeth involved; having observed Tracker for all this time it seems to me it's not aggression, but just orneriness of sorts--it's like ok "I've sniffed you, now get out of my face". As if he's enjoying making Mambo run off. That said, there have been times when they just sniff each other and then go their separate ways. Anyway, for weeks now when we've been walking by there I've just kept walking, because I feel bad for Mambo, since what's the point.

Also, Tracker does not strain or go nuts trying to get to Mambo; he'll calmly stand or approach slowly himself, and he even drops his ears in a calming signal kind of way while they approach each other.

Not sure whether this gives enough detail for anybody to tell what's going on; I'm just curious as to how to interpret this. I assume there is a connection to Tracker being on leash? Is Tracker just being a pill? Or is he bummed he can't play with Mambo?

He wants to play.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have to agree, it sounds like Tracker wants to play. If those two could be put into a fenced area together and Tracker let off leash, you would probably find they'd have a ball playing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Ditto on the above...my dogs often act that way to initiate play with one another :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm really glad to get all this reassuring feedback on Tracker. Jillysfullhouse was suggesting that if they were both off leash in a fenced in area, they'd likely go off and play. So it's possible that the dynamics as they are currently (Tracker barking, Mambo skittering away) could radically change as soon as they were both off leash, say, Tracker would stop feeling he had to be barky and pushy, thereby allowing Mambo to relax and NOT run away with his tail tucked?

I definitely agree that Tracker's behavior sounds like an invitation to play. If they were off leash in a fenced area, Mambo's response might or might not change. Some dogs just don't know how to play, or are intimidated by too vigorous play. Both Willow and Corey play rough and scare off a lot of dogs who don't like that type of play.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm really glad to get all this reassuring feedback on Tracker. Jillysfullhouse was suggesting that if they were both off leash in a fenced in area, they'd likely go off and play. So it's possible that the dynamics as they are currently (Tracker barking, Mambo skittering away) could radically change as soon as they were both off leash, say, Tracker would stop feeling he had to be barky and pushy, thereby allowing Mambo to relax and NOT run away with his tail tucked?

I kind of doubt that. A super submissive dog is apt to be a bit freaked out by a wild and crazy boy. My dog is VERY aggressive with his "let's play!" invites, and even the other greyhound in my complete is intimidated by it. Lots of noise, bouncing around, etc. Your boy needs someone who can handle his big personality, and a dog who tucks his tail and runs is, frankly, apt to get chased. Which would scare him even more...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

This may just be me anthropomorphizing, but is there a possibility some dogs (whatever the breed) LIKE to chase submissive/scared dogs, just like there are school bullies who love to intimidate? Not implying Tracker is one of them, just thinking out loud. Of course, greyhounds love to hunt/chase anyways as soon as something runs away from them, but still, maybe there is an element of enjoying needling? I have no experience with dog parks, so I really lack observation knowledge.

Guest Audeamus

My lurcher is kind of let's say socially awkward when he asks other dogs to play. He's very much asking to play but like Susan's George he can drive away other dogs with his asking to play antics. When he does hit that point I call him off and we wander more into the dog park, leaving the other dog alone. He does have some buddies he does like playing, some lab crosses and a shepard cross that play with him.

I personally think that greyhounds/other more reserved/shy dogs see him as the socially awkward dog and so they just leave him alone. Which is fine.

My guess would be that if these two dogs were allowed to play together, if the submissive dog ran and then rolled over, the greyhound would approach him and sniff him and then his curiosity would be satisfied. If the submissive dog were to stand up and move, the greyhound would likely follow, and the submissive dog may again roll over, but, as they spend time together, the submissive dog would realize that the grey is not a threat and would likely enjoy some play with him :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My guess would be that if these two dogs were allowed to play together, if the submissive dog ran and then rolled over, the greyhound would approach him and sniff him and then his curiosity would be satisfied. If the submissive dog were to stand up and move, the greyhound would likely follow, and the submissive dog may again roll over, but, as they spend time together, the submissive dog would realize that the grey is not a threat and would likely enjoy some play with him :)

This is my thinking too. They both sound like such nice dogs. Maybe Mambo wants Tracker to chase him but of course he can't since he's on leash. If Mambo was afraid of Tracker, their interaction at the gate would be much different. Greyhounds love to play by running. Tracker might run circles around the stationary Mambo. Mambo might play differently but they'd probably find some common ground.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis