Just Dusted The Dogs With Diatomaceous Earth

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I might try it to kill ticks. Fleas are ancient history since the Dog Gods invented Comfortis. They have my undying worship for making what is now the only flea control product on the market that works where I live. But, unfortunately, ticks are still an issue. I am bummed to hear ticks are a problem in Mobile. I already figured fleas would be.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

• 1 month later...

Seems to be working well, no buggs yet, can't say we had that much success with Frontline Plus, so we'll keep this going. :)

Dusting was kind of a PITA, so we have wound up putting about a tablespoon of DE in a squirt bottle and filling with water. Shaking, and spraying the dogs down. Seems easier for all of us that way. We do it every 3 weeks to a month.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

We have had as many as 6 Greys in our house at one time and we have NEVER had a flea or tick , several times I have posted what we use but no one has ever tried it , it costs 3.50 and a bottle last a year or longer , I guess people think I,m crazy.

• 1 month later...
Guest Adrianne

another flea/tic free month, seems to be working well in hot Alabama with a forest for a back yard so far.

I'm glad you posted this update. I've been considering trying it because the fleas have been horrible here this year. I put in an order for a bag at my local feed store and am going to try it.

another flea/tic free month, seems to be working well in hot Alabama with a forest for a back yard so far.

I've had really good luck with it here in North Carolina for many years now.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Swifthounds

Good to know.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Im so glad you updated, I found a flea on one of my dogs yesterday who are all on frontline so needless to say with my crew getting one flea can soon get out of hand. I was thinking of getting this to put around the kennel room and dust the dogs. I think I will be stoping at the feed store tonight.

Didn't see this til now or would have posted sooner.

We successfully used it at the greyhound kennel, both added to food as a wormer and topically for fleas and ticks. We used an empty clean carpet fresh bottle with the holes in the top. That kept the dust to a minimum. I repeated the dusting after wet weather, but they were kenneled dogs who often were silly enough to stay out in the rain. I dusted their inside kennel areas when we had an outbreak of ticks who seemed to be nesting in the wood. I also sprinkled it around window sills here at home where bugs came in.

I did an experiment putting a tick in a jar with some DE on the bottom. Took about two hours to kill him.

Did not use it on the collies, too much hair.