Rachael Ray

Guest BrianRke

Guest PawPrintsLife

Rachael Ray's dog foods contain sodium selenite. All dogs must have selenium in their diet, but sodium selenite is a toxic form of it. The only form that's actually safe is selenium yeast.

Why is the toxic form used? Until a few years ago, AAFCO regulations (the "standard" that govern our American pet foods) required the use of sodium selenite, even though the much safer selenium yeast was available. Fianlly, AAFCO relented and allowed pet food companies to choose between the two forms for dog food.

Companies that still use the toxic sodium selenite are way behind the curve, research-wise.

By the way, AAFCO still requires sodium selenite in cat food, without the option of the much safer selenium yeast. It's very discouraging.

That's just one of the objections to Nutrish, by the way, but in my mind, it's compelling.

Rebecca Forrest

Logan (7 yr old male brindle)

Zelda (4 yr old female parti black princess)

Jordie (3 yr old one-eyed male brindle)

Lucy (17 yr old female tabby cat--the dogs think she's a dog, too)

I'd rather feed Rachael Ray to my dog--but that's a bit off topic!

:rofl :rofl

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

To be honest IMO it is garbage. IMO GOOD food (e.g those on Whole Dog Journals approved list) and vaccinations (no more tha every 3 years) are teh best money you can ever spend in animal health. It will save you lots of $$$$ over the long run. True the really good food does cost more but I haev found I actually save $$$$ because vet bills are significantly less since there are significantly less problems with dogs getting better food. Just my experience of over 50 years on farms.:)

To be honest IMO it is garbage. IMO GOOD food (e.g those on Whole Dog Journals approved list) and vaccinations (no more tha every 3 years) are teh best money you can ever spend in animal health. It will save you lots of $$$$ over the long run. True the really good food does cost more but I haev found I actually save $$$$ because vet bills are significantly less since there are significantly less problems with dogs getting better food. Just my experience of over 50 years on farms.:)

Whole Dog Journal does all the challenging food research work for us. They offer such an extensive annual list of "approved foods" that most people can find a healthy dog food within their budget. :)

WDJ listed Rachael Ray's food as one to avoid that "missed the mark."

Guest BrianRke

Thanks everyone, I hadnt actually purchased any and I didnt read the ingredient list. Im just gonna stick with my Nutro Venison and Brown Rice.

She donated $25,000.00 to GPA National. I hope that doesn't mean they will start recommending her dog food. The skeptical part of me thinks that is why she donated the $$$$$. Some years ago it was Canidae, now Rachel Ray. At least Canidae was a decent kibble.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg