Amputation

Someone on this forum once posted helpful information and pictures, of what to expect post amputation. My dog is having his right leg amputated on friday. I would like to look at that information now, if anyone knows what I am talking about. thank you very much

o888p2.jpg

Nancy~Mom to Wizard July 9, 2006 and Lexie June 25, 2009

Always in my heart, my goofy boy Sarge 8-25-04....5-17-11

I can't help you with finding that info, but my girl had her right front amputated. Is his a front or rear?

The first day was the hardest for me because of the look of fear and astonishment on her face that something was wrong. Her leg was gone. But that lasted only a day.

By day 2 she was moving on her own.

By day 4 I was able to take her home(I went to OSU from NJ, a 9 hr drive)

The first 2 weeks she was anxious, panted a lot, restless. But as soon as I stopped the meds, she bounced back to almost normal.

She did have an infection of the area, so she wore a t-shirt all the time. Once we found what she had, we got her on the right antibiotic and she cleared right up.

She actually thought she could do more than she was able to do, so be careful about him wanting to do stairs, hop in the car, etc. I did make a ramp for her because she always had trouble with stairs.

The lengths of her walks was dimished because it took more energy to hop, however, when deer were around, she could still do a good run.

She went 6 months pain free until OS claimed another leg.

Dima was 12 when she had her leg amputated.

Goodluck.

Guest CampWhippet

My whippet lost her back left leg and was walking the day I picked her up. She learned to adapt right away and I hope yours does too.

I don;t know the info you are looking for, sorry.

Jen from Mnpls. (BigOrangeDog) has a blog on amputation here: http://minnesotagreyhounds.wordpress.com/what-to-expect-with-a-leg-amputation/

There are several good posts in the Osteo thread in H&M as quite a few pups have recently gone the amp route.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I have an album of pictures of my good boy Marvin you can look at. Click on the picture below and then you can click on each picture to see my comments. The pictures are disturbing and still make me cry when I look at them.

415067645sheXuD_th.jpg

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

Thank you everyone for your information, I appreciate it very much.He is having his right front leg amputated.By the way I have a greyhound and a lab. My lab Sarge is the one with soft tissue sarcoma,Sarge is only 6 yrs old.

o888p2.jpg

Nancy~Mom to Wizard July 9, 2006 and Lexie June 25, 2009

Always in my heart, my goofy boy Sarge 8-25-04....5-17-11

Thank you everyone for your information, I appreciate it very much.He is having his right front leg amputated.By the way I have a greyhound and a lab. My lab Sarge is the one with soft tissue sarcoma,Sarge is only 6 yrs old.

Amputation will be ever so SLIGHTLY more difficult for a Lab to adapt to, being a broad dog. As Dr. Couto explained it at a talk I went to, the reason why Greyhounds adapt to easily to amputation is because their legs are so close together to begin with. When they lose a leg, they only have to move the other leg over a little bit to have balance. A wider dog, like a Lab, whose legs are further apart, will have a slightly more difficult time, but he should do just fine.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Smiley

Jen (BigOrangeDog) is a wealth of info. and her blog is amazing. I see someone posted the link already, but I wanted to send you a big hug and good thoughts for Friday!

I'm sorry to hear about Sarge. Our girl, Lucy, had her rear right leg amputated in Feb. The first few weeks were really hard, but the support of so many people here who had been through it was a big help, and she's doing great now. I'll be thinking about Sarge on Friday - please let us know how it goes.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.