Heavy Bruising, At E-Vet

Guest Hoolyghans

Guest Hoolyghans

Abba came home around 7 last night. Leg is much better, she's walking a little gingerly but putting her full weight on it. No new bruising and existing bruising doesn't seem to have any fresh bleeding.

She's on Doxy & Tramadol.

Just got a call from the regular vet a few minutes ago, tick panel negative. Seems to be "just a Greyhound thing" She wants me to keep giving the doxy until she talks to the e- vet. Can't hurt, right?

Here's her leg last night

IMG_0146.jpg

Don't know why we bothered with the vet, we could have had a cat scan at home for free!

IMG_0148.jpg

Boy that bruise looks just like the bruise my girl ended up with after she tore a muscle in her leg during a fun run. I just kept an eye on it and it resolved in about 10 days. I do consider her a greyhound bleeder because she bruised terribly after a dermal mass removal-- I now have amicar in the cabinet in case an emergency should arise. Glad your houndie is home.

I am glad that Abba is better and hope she continues healing. I love your cat scan by the way!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest snakes

Glad abba is doing better. Just a thought, but could Abba have gotten into anything poisonous? Often poisons cause bleeding. Either way, glad everyone is home.

Guest lynne893

Our Timber would get blood pooling under the skin like that when she had intestinal lymphoma. We didn't know what it was at the time. She got the first case of bad bruising after a non-Anesthesia dental. Then, after chest x-rays. I know the techs didn't manhandle her, but the bruises were so bad you'd think they had!

Good luck and keep us posted. We know how anxious and scary it can be!

Guest FullMetalFrank

Glad she's doing better. The bruising does look to me like what you'd see with a "dropped muscle" (a tear or partial tear of the gracillus muscle.) I wonder if maybe she slipped while she was outside?

:lol Cat scan :lol:lol

Guest Hoolyghans

Glad she's doing better. The bruising does look to me like what you'd see with a "dropped muscle" (a tear or partial tear of the gracillus muscle.) I wonder if maybe she slipped while she was outside?

:lol Cat scan :lol:lol

We were asked about rat poison and felt it was highly unlikely. We never use it here, she hadn't been off the property in 2-3 weeks, our immediate neighbors are all long time, nice people who like the dogs. Always the outside possibility some creep threw some in the yard or a poisoned animal got inside the fence.

I think a torn muscle is most likely the cause. When I made the vet appointment it was because of the pain in her leg!!! She did have some sort of "event" out in the backyard marked by a GSOD. Both baby vets seemed to lose sight of that. The bruising was ugly but I was pretty sure I remembered bruising in Greyhounds is not that uncommon. They managed to convince me this was *not* normal and internal bleeding was a very likely possibility. if I took her home, the most minor of bumps could kill her. I know dogs pretty well but I'm not a vet, what if I was wrong? We couldn't really afford "just in case" admittance but at the same time, I'd never forgive myself if I ignored what they said & something happened. It's frustrating because if our regular vet hadn't been on vacation, if a more senior vet saw us at the e-vet, I don't think things would have gotten as carried away as they did.

The good news is she's doing great today. No limp, the swelling has gone down and the bruise is much lighter.

Daisy had bruising like that when she had liver issues. She was given vitamin K (and I inadvertently doubled the dosage) and the bruising went away very quickly. We never did find out what Daisy had either, but after a few days she was fine.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04