Tramadol And Xanax Together?

Dylan hurt his back yesterday and we spent all morning at the EVet. He gave him Tramadol, Rimadyl and Acepromazine. I told him I don't like Ace but he gave it to me anyway. He is very restless!! I have Xanax here for Daisy's thunderphobia. Can I use Tramadol and Xanax together??

I am so sorry about the back problem. I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a question for you. How did you get a scrip for Zantax? My vet would not give it to my dog and gave him a scrip for Prozac. I liked the idea of just giving him Zantax when he needed it and not having to give Prozac all of the time. Hope he feels better soon.

Xanax has become pretty popular for thunderphobia, fireworkphobia etc...Both of my vets agree to give it when necessary. Prozac can take up to 6 weeks to get into the system. Xanax is a benzodiazapine which works pretty quickly. There is some literature out there that is fairly new about using Xanax for dogs with phobias.

Interesting. My vet says NO to xanax but yes to valium.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Tramadol is generally safe with benzodiazepines (like Valium or Xanax) but not with SSRIs (like Prozac). For specific cases, I would always recommend checking with your vet before adding medications. If the current meds aren't enough to give Dylan relief, consider asking our vet about methocarbamol (Robaxin). It's a muscle relaxer often used for back pain, and it also causes sedation so can help him rest.

Both Xanax and Valium are commonly used for situational anxieties in dogs (storm phobia, fireworks, travel, etc). Abuse by the owner is always a possibility, but I think we just need to be careful about monitoring refills and not refuse treatment for dogs that need it because of this risk. JMO

There are different situations where Prozac may be more appropriate - such as generalized anxiety and dogs that have severe enough anxiety that they need a 'background' anti-anxiety medication. But for most cases, I don't feel Prozac provides enough relief for intense stimuli like a bad storm or fireworks. If the dog's only problem is with very specific situations, I don't feel daily Prozac is needed, and a short term, immediate-acting drug like Xanax is more appropriate.

If your vet absolutely refuses to prescribe a benzodiazepine (Xanax, Valium, and others in this class) and you feel your dog needs it, I'd find another vet who has more experience with behavioral meds, or even ask for a referral to a veterinary behaviorist.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Swifthounds, Xanax is not a SSRI, it is a benzodiazapine drug. Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks for catching that. I personally would not use a psychiatric drug together with tramadol, but that's just me. I wouldn't use xanax at all.

My daughter, the RN, said maybe the vet was reluctant to give Zantaz because of people becoming addicted, but then guess people could become addicted to Prozac also???

Not likely. It's much easier to obtain from a doctor, and if one has insurance,much less expensive. Different vets have different preferences in medications (sometimes, but not always, influenced by economic factors). A vet isn't a pharmacy, so they don't carry absolutely everything that might be prescribed for a pet. They usually carry what they most often recommend.

Patrick has to have a benzodiazapine (not xanax) after coming out of his surgery and he takes tramadol. It should be fine, but it never hurts to check with your vet before giving a new medication. Also, some dogs (and people) can have a paradoxical affect on the benzos, so if it's her first time keep an eye on her.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Sam recently saw a chiropractor for back pain. At the time, he was on vet-prescribed Rimadyl and Tramadol. The chiropractor advised Rimadyl (or Deramax) and Methocarbemol (the muscle relaxer mentioned by jjng in #8) for future incidents.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Update-Sunday 4/3/11

Dylan hurt his back yesterday and we spent all morning at the EVet. He gave him Tramadol, Rimadyl and Acepromazine. I told him I don't like Ace but he gave it to me anyway. He is very restless!! I have Xanax here for Daisy's thunderphobia. Can I use Tramadol and Xanax together??

The pain got worse late last night. We got him back to the evet and they started him on IV's with a Methocarbimol injection. It worked wonders. He is home this morning and on Rimadyl, Tramadol and the Methocarbimol. Seems to be a great combo for him.

Edited by Newgreymom

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I'm glad the new meds are working for you and I hope Dylan feels better soon!

Just FYI- if you decide to use Daisy's Xanax for another dog, you really need to do a test dose before you actually need it. It is possible to have a paradoxical reaction from benzodiazapines. In other words, a small percent of dogs will have a reverse reaction and actually get hyper instead of being calmed by the medication. You want to give a test dose when you will be home for 6-8 hours so you can observe the dog and make sure they are reacting the right way!