Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

Guest jeremiahsmom

Guest jeremiahsmom

My boy Jeremiah is 12 years old. He took a fall yesterday and was limping this morning so I took him in to our vet. He sprained his leg and the vet put a splint on it. He can't walk without help right now. The vet said that he needs a few days to get used to the splint. My immediate issue is that he just does not seem to be able to get comfortable. I gave him the pain medicine about an hour ago. I guess I thought that the pain meds would kick right in and he would fall asleep. My next issue is, what do we do in a few hours when we need to take him out to potty? I just am at such a loss. The vet said to put a towel under him and help him outside and then take the towel out and let him lean on us to potty. He is a bit frail due to his age and arthritis. Has anyone been through this that can give me some suggestions? I appreciate any replies. Thanks.

I have never heard of a vet splinting a "sprain."

Did he take x-rays, or is he just guessing?

Dogs can get around on three legs with very few problems. I'd be inclined to take the splint off if he can't walk with it.

My old dog had major leg surgery once, and the vet put this MASSIVE wrap on it. He couldn't hop up the stairs with it on (I lived in a basement apartment at the time, and I'm sorry, I can't carry 75 pounds up the stairs!) so the vet told me just take it off. So I did--problem solved.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It sounded weird when I first read your post... but when a human sprains a finger, it gets splinted. So I suppose it really could be a sprain? Must be pretty darn bad. Hang in there, Jeremiah, it'll feel lots better tomorrow!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest IrskasMom

FWIW I have never heard either about a Splint on a Dog. Vet needs to take XRays

ASaP . If anything a little Bandaging for Support ( not to tight ). :):):)

Guest Swifthounds

I've never heard of a splint to treat a sprain, though I guess it's possible. :dunno I've always just done crate rest, pain management, and sometimes a light bandage. IME, where not absolutely necessary (like with a surgically repaired break) a splint on a sighthound is more trouble than cure.

What did the vet say was sprained in the leg? How did he/she determine it was a sprain?

If you vet did not do an x-ray to determine that the leg is only sprained, and he's in that much pain, I'd want an x-ray done ASAP. If he did do an x-ray, I'd call and get a different pain med if you believe it's warranted.

Good luck :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~