Birch Had A Soft Tissue Sarcoma Removed

Guest JillinMichigan

Guest JillinMichigan

My almost 8-year-old Birch had his dental 10 days ago, and I got a call from Dr. Wilson (who is the busiest vet and owner of the vet hospital I visit), so I knew it would not be good news. There was a lump on his right rear leg (lower part of his thigh) that was removed, and it was sent out to the lab, and Birch has soft tissue sarcoma. Dr. Wilson said that it might not have spread, but I already have a follow-up appointment scheduled for Friday morning to see what the next step might be. Birch had 2 of his liver enzymes that were very high (200+) a year ago, but he has been on Sam-E since, and the one that was 200+ was 68 for the pre-dental bloodwork (can't remember if it is AST or ALT) and normal is 55 or less, so at least the Sam-E is working somewhat. Dr. Wilson said that the sarcoma on his leg and his higher liver enzymes may be 2 separate issues. On top of it all, he has 2 chronic corns - one on each of his front feet that were hulled for the umpteenth time when he had his dental, and his left foot his bothering him enough still that he will hold it up when he is standing on ceramic or concrete. He still is happy to go on a walk when it is on the grassy trail at the park. Also, an hour ago he was laying on his back scritching the floor and squeaking toys at the same time that he does a lot, so he doesn't know that he is sick. He also chewed on a chicken flavored rawhide (made in the US, of course!) with gusto in the last 20 minutes. Does anyone have any advice on what I should ask the vet on Friday? Or any advice from those that have had similar issues?

No experience, just best wishes for your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, just lots of good thoughts and prayers for both of you. So sorry you are going through this. Please let us know how things go.

june

l would ask the vet exactly what type of soft tissue sarcoma was removed, what the prognosis/treatment options are & get copies of his bloodwork & pathology results.

My Faolin had a lump about where Birch did. We thought it was a lipoma & had it removed the next time he had a dental. Quite a surprise to have it come back as a hemangiopericytoma with dirty margins. I took him to an oncologist & contacted OSU & they both advised additional surgery but I decided to wait & see what happened. And nothing ever did - it didn't come back & never caused him any problems.

So it's entirely possible that Birch will be fine but you need to get the details first. Glad to hear sam-E is working & sorry about his corns. Let us know what you find out.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Swifthounds

l would ask the vet exactly what type of soft tissue sarcoma was removed, what the prognosis/treatment options are & get copies of his bloodwork & pathology results.

:nod. If you're considering treating further, I would suggest an oncology consult. It's more $ but the advice is usually better because they have more experience.

My understanding from the oncologist we consulted with for Comet's suspected soft tissue sarcoma ( came back benign) is that they usually are locally aggressive, but not all that metastatic.

Best of luck.

Guest Fasave

My corn dog has soft tissue sarcoma. It's important for you to understand what grade the tumor is. My boy has had three surguries to remove the "lump" on his front leg. First surgery when he wa 8 and he is now 11. Please contact OSU as there is an injectable chemo treatment they use that most oncologists don't know about or recommend. If they didn't get clean margins, likely an oncologist is going to recommend radiation ($3000 - $6000) where this alternative chemo runs about $900. The trick is finding someone who will do it. I'd be happy to share more but know that my guy technically still has "cancer" as they didn't get clean margins on the last surgery but it is such a low grade tumor, the oncologist thinks it's unlikely to cause him many issues and certainly not what will likely take his life at this stage. There's hope.

My corn dog has soft tissue sarcoma. It's important for you to understand what grade the tumor is. My boy has had three surguries to remove the "lump" on his front leg. First surgery when he wa 8 and he is now 11. Please contact OSU as there is an injectable chemo treatment they use that most oncologists don't know about or recommend. If they didn't get clean margins, likely an oncologist is going to recommend radiation ($3000 - $6000) where this alternative chemo runs about $900. The trick is finding someone who will do it. I'd be happy to share more but know that my guy technically still has "cancer" as they didn't get clean margins on the last surgery but it is such a low grade tumor, the oncologist thinks it's unlikely to cause him many issues and certainly not what will likely take his life at this stage. There's hope.

Yes to this! Go to OSUs website and request a consult when you have the pathology report. Here's the site:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

There is no charge for a consult. You can submit your request via the web form or your vet can. Your vet can also call them.

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JillinMichigan

My vet recommended a second surgery to go back in since the margins were not 3cm especially the depth margin. Birch went in for this surgery today, and he had quite a bit of tissue removed from his right rear leg which looks just awful after surgery today. The vet tech who went over the release information said that he needs to have absolutely no activity for the next 2 weeks except to go outside to use the bathroom. At least his appetite is still good. I gave him his Deramaxx and Tramadol with lunchmeat and a plain cheeseburger since he was wimpering in pain earlier. People food always helps manage the pain a little better. :colgate

I could use some good thoughts my way that the pathology report comes back that his margins are what they should be this time.

PS - My 2-year-old brindle foster Tom who was on Amber Alert for a couple of days at the end of March is doing fantastic. His feet are healing very well, and the staples on the cut on his front leg were removed. He was given his vaccines on 4/15, and he weighs 69 lbs. up from 66 lbs. just after he was found from his "adventure".

Edited by JillinMichigan

No advice, just sending good thoughts for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BleuDog

Lots of Good Thoughts, Wishes, and Vibes to Birch, and to You, too!!!!

Don't tell Birch that anything is wrong.......He seems to think it is a lot of fuss about.......

Guest shesgeorge

Sending good thoughts for you and Birch. Sounds like they were able to get good margins.

My Splenda has a same/similar problem and they cannot get good margins unless they remove a ligament and main artery, so my vet and I are both doing research to see what we can do.

Good luck!!!!