Metronidazole Again!

when felix had giardia my vet used Metronidazole and it did take a couple of rounds to clear it up. same symptoms and the poor pup( he was only 6 months old) had the loud gurgeling, runny stool and cramps and was not able to eat. boiled beef and rice were what he lived on for quite some time until his gut settled down. then i sloooooooooooooowly introduced kibble.

have you started giving your dog a non-kibble diet? if not, buy a rice cooker, cheap white rice and let that magic appliance do it's thing! it's a dog owner's best friend in the kitchen.

also, he was on and off of it for a good 3 months, he would clear up and then start all over again. it took a while, but i trust my vet of 30+ years.

Guest Cardiffcouple

I am so glad to see this topic and the responses. Our Ben is going through what sounds a lot like this. To see that the worms might be biting would explain some of his behavior. We are on a second course of Metro and only seeing a tiny amount of improvement. This would answer so many of the issues that have come up for him. Thank you to all who have responded.

Guest Swifthounds

If you suspect intestinal parasites, I would avoid giving anything binding, like rice. While diarrhea can be unpleasant to clean, it is the body's way of ridding itself of irritants. If you stop diarrhea, you also held bacteria, parasites, and irritants in the dog as well.