Lupus

Ok, so if you have seen my other thread http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/269845-pemphigus-foliaceous/, the derm vet is saying Pop has 'lupus like disease' and they want him in for a urinanalysis early this next week.

My question is, for those that have lupus pups, what do you use to treat it? In the past when we thought it was allergies, pred combined with cephalexin would clear him up, but this last time the cephalexin didn't work...the pred took the inflammation down tho. I have read through a few other posts and see that some have recommended putting straight Vit E oil on the nose, which I have a small bottle of it as I keep it around in case the pups lose hair on their butts...rub it on and after a few day their hair comes back (ok, so that's only been Pop who has needed it). Also a low dose of Pred in the past (every other day) seemed to make the symptoms stay away for awhile.

Thoughts? I'm still waiting on the culture results to come back, which won't be until about the end of this coming week.

Edited by kolarik1

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Lupus, Pemphigus whatever the case maybe, they are both autoimmune diseases. There is no cure you can only control the flare ups. Pred works for some but not for all. Niacinamide is often used as well. It will probably take a bit of trial and error to see what helps with Pop's flare ups.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

I know there's no cure...my paternal grandmother died of complications from lupus...I have no hope that he will be 'cured'...just wanted to know what others have done. Besides Pop having to pee more, the Pred seems to have worked for him in the past.

I honestly feel like someone ripped my heart out and stomped on it and I got sucker punched in the gut. I know all I can do is control the flare ups and love Pop as much as possible...and DBF can hardly wait to see Pop again, he is constantly telling me to give Pop extra loving from him. Even Zelda knows something is wrong (don't they always know?) and is acting a little strange. Once I've wrapped my head around it I'm hoping she will be more like her normal self, although she will be devastated when the day comes that she loses her big brother.

Pinky has discoid lupus. She takes tetracycline, niacinamide (NOT the same thing as niacin), Vitamin E, and Omega 3 capsules.

When I first got her she was a mess, so had to be on a long tapered course of prednisone, starting at 30mg and slowly moving down in dosage over about a month's time.

She has not had a significant flare up since we first got things under control.

Don't worry - as long as you keep things under control, pups with this can live normal lives - it's not a death sentence.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

One of my hounds had slo-- he took tetracycline and niacinimude-- short tapering dose of pred and lots and lots of essential fatty acids. He responsed well to the treatment.--I'm sure your pup will too. I would give the Doc's a call--ask them about adding the EFA's to your pups protocol.

One of my hounds had slo-- he took tetracycline and niacinimude-- short tapering dose of pred and lots and lots of essential fatty acids. He responsed well to the treatment.--I'm sure your pup will too. I would give the Doc's a call--ask them about adding the EFA's to your pups protocol.

essential fatty acids? I asked about the pred and they said no for now, still no thyroid med either, just the doxy & niacinamide. I actually have the direct email to the derm vet, so I could get a list of items together and send it to her so I have it in writing!

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has discoid lupus and possibly systemic. I haven't put him on the pred yet, mostly control his symptoms by keeping him out of the sun and on the I/D diet. Tetracycline and niacinamide did nothing for him. Just gotta find out what works for your pup. Oddly, Soul's symptoms are worse when the weather is colder.

Edited by SoulsMom

Thanks everyone.

The good news...his urinalysis came back good, so as of right now it's only in his skin...not in his organs. Pop is soaking up the attention & Zelda is showing some worry over him, but I think everything will settle back down. I just hope that this clears up for now.

And Soulsmom...Pop's symptoms also seem to flare up in the winter more...and we're in Michigan! Go figure.

Guest BiancasMom

My Australian Shepherd had discoid lupus. His black nose began to turn pink and lose it's "Cobblestone" appearance. Eventually he got ulcers and crusting as well. Luckily, his feet, ears etc were never affected. We tried lots of things from Niancinamide to Triamcinolone ointment. The only thing that worked for him was Prednisone. I found if I kept him inside during the day (rather than out in his kennel or the yard) he could get by with far less Pred. I tried Zinc Oxide cream on his nose during the summer but I'm not sure how well this worked as he licked most of it off. He was diagnosed at about 4 years of age and lived to be 14. He was on pred for that whole time, varying doses, depending on the time of year and sun exposure. He weighed 55 pounds and his highest dose was 20mg twice a day. I had him completely off pred at times but mostly about 10mg every other day. Hope this helps!

Pinky usually has a flare or two with her nose during the winter. I have lupus myself and wintertime is when I have most of my flares. For me it's because of all of the germs in the air and I have no immune response. I think for Pinky it's more due to the harsh conditions outside and the dryness inside the house.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Pinky usually has a flare or two with her nose during the winter. I have lupus myself and wintertime is when I have most of my flares. For me it's because of all of the germs in the air and I have no immune response. I think for Pinky it's more due to the harsh conditions outside and the dryness inside the house.

Well that would make sense. Pop is slightly irritated with me because the chlorhexidine solution showed up today so I was finally able to start soaking his paws. I diluted it according to the instructions and then make him stand with one paw in an old plastic bowl to soak his paws...he came out of the bathroom and sniffed his paws to see what I had done to him :rofl

Wanted to give you a tip about soaking feet. Ask your vet for an old iv bag - cut the top off and use it to soak the feet. Your pup can actually lay down while soaking because you can hold the bag closed at the top. Much easier than trying to make them stand still with their foot in a bowl!!

Wanted to give you a tip about soaking feet. Ask your vet for an old iv bag - cut the top off and use it to soak the feet. Your pup can actually lay down while soaking because you can hold the bag closed at the top. Much easier than trying to make them stand still with their foot in a bowl!!

That's a good idea...I may actually just get some gallon size ziploc bags and use those instead, we'll see.