Gas, Red Skin/tongue Inflammation

Guest kerber

Guest kerber

My 13 1/2 year old greyhound has problems at night, it seems after he gets his meds with the wet food.

Meds=1 flamotadine, 2 cosequin, 1/4 tablet of prednisone, 1.5 shot of gabepentin. Wet food = Senior Canidae platinum (started 1 month ago) to administer meds, gets at night, dry food=TOTW poultry version. He has been on the drugs for 9 months now, and the following symptoms started this week.

Results: After about an hour from dinner, his tongue, ears, legs get a deep red and are hot to the touch. Wrenching and smelling gas, whimpering and panting. AFter about 4 hours of this, he is back to "normal" - no hot, no red, no gas, sleeping just fine.

What is this?

It sounds like a food allergy to me. You said you started feeding the Canidae wet 1 month ago, how long have you been feeding the TOTW? If you have been feeding the TOTW as long as you’ve been giving the medications and the trouble didn’t start until after you added the can of Canidae Platinum I would say that this is most likely your problem. Was there a reason you chose the Canidae Platinum? I only ask because TOTW has the Wetlands formula in cans also if your wanting to feed wet to give the medicines.

Have you told vet?

It could be either but, it sounds like a pretty nasty reaction and it could be a step away from having an even more serious reaction like having the throat swell up resulting in difficulty breathing.

In this case I would probably consider an emergency visit.

Guest kerber

It sounds like a food allergy to me. You said you started feeding the Canidae wet 1 month ago, how long have you been feeding the TOTW? If you have been feeding the TOTW as long as you’ve been giving the medications and the trouble didn’t start until after you added the can of Canidae Platinum I would say that this is most likely your problem. Was there a reason you chose the Canidae Platinum? I only ask because TOTW has the Wetlands formula in cans also if your wanting to feed wet to give the medicines.

The pet store I get the dry TOTW doesn't carry wet version...strange, I know!

Have you told vet?

It could be either but, it sounds like a pretty nasty reaction and it could be a step away from having an even more serious reaction like having the throat swell up resulting in difficulty breathing.

In this case I would probably consider an emergency visit.

I had a pre-scheduled appointment for another issue with Bo-D and mentioned these symptoms, she thinks it too is a food allergy - so I bought a grain free brand called Whole Earth - anyone here of that one?

Food allergy is not necessarily to grains only - grains just happens to be the "in allergy right now". the allergy could be to poultry, fish, whatever ... For example, my male happens to be sensitive to chicken and noodles.

You could try the prescription diet Z/D for allergies.

Food allergy is not necessarily to grains only - grains just happens to be the "in allergy right now". the allergy could be to poultry, fish, whatever ... For example, my male happens to be sensitive to chicken and noodles.

You could try the prescription diet Z/D for allergies.

It stands to reason if TOTW has been fed with no problem and the reactions started shortly after adding canned Canidae Platinum you would need to stop feeding the Canidae and compare the differences between the two. When I did a comparison of the two foods the following ingredients aside from vitamins and minerals was in Canidae and not in the Wetlands TOTW: Lamb, Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Sunflower Oil, Carrageenan, Physllium Husks, Flaxseed Oil, Kelp, Rosemary Extract, and cranberries.

It's easy enough to get those ingredients and test them one at a time for reaction.

Feeding Z/D wouldn't tell you what the allergy is to. We already know Chicken is not likely the problem because it's in the TOTW, which leaves you with Corner Starch, Powdered Cellulose (a.k.a. Sawdust) and Soybean Oil and a mix of vitamins and minerals.

Wishing you the best. My Dustin a few weeks ago was bright red on and off for two days and then had horrible stomach gurglingand evenentual diarreah. The vet thought he had gotten into something or was having a reaction. She actually gave him vitamin K believing that the redness was from possible bleeding relating to a reaction. Right after the vitamin K shot, he got hives and started blowing up. She did not think that the shot caused it (and later vitamin K tablets did not result in a reaction). She though the hiveswere a continuation of whatever was happening....and then he had benedry. He was fine after that. Clearly he got into something tha he was allergic to....we are assuming it is something he sniffed up on a walk.

Hope your baby is well.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest kerber

UPDATE and advice needed...

Now Bo-d has explosive, watery "D" with some mucous type stuff. He has made it successfully outside when "it" hit 3 times today, but 4 times unsuccessfully :( Was up all night antsy, but didn't get all inflamed like the last few nights - inflammation "flare" only happened at night, so I immediately associated it with his wet food.

I gave him maybe 2 tablespoons of the new wet food with his meds last night, so there will be no more wet food (he still eats plenty of dry kibble and won't starve, the wet food was to give him his meds, which we can just give by hand -just a bit of hassle to squirt the gabepentin down his gullet)until we figure this out. After reading the story about using vitamin K for an allergy - I am wondering if he got into something outside a couple days ago or was it the new food that gave him the D? Snow is melting outside, and of course he needs to smell every snowbank when out walking and who knows what he gets his nose/mouth into while in the backyard during this mucky season -when I am not looking

The question: Does a benadryl help with this stool issue? He gets one flamatodine a day to help with the meds so his tummy doesn't get too bad.

Bo-d is finally resting and is "running" in his sleep as I type this :)

...boy has it been a stressful time, this and his LS stuff I posted in another thread...but he really is my baby :)

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Benedryl won't help with the big 'D' but you could probably give some Immodium or Pepto for that. Both are safe to give with famotadine and benedryl.

Benedryl won't help with the big 'D' but you could probably give some Immodium or Pepto for that. Both are safe to give with famotadine and benedryl.

The thing is though if it's not an allergy and he actually got into something you don't want to give anything like Immodium that will slow the process of the body trying to rid itself of toxins. The thing you need to watch for is dehydration though.

Guest kerber

The thing is though if it's not an allergy and he actually got into something you don't want to give anything like Immodium that will slow the process of the body trying to rid itself of toxins. The thing you need to watch for is dehydration though.

He is drinking water

In my opinion you should be calling the vet and asking them whether you should be mixing in the benadryl to what is already being given.

edited to add -- can you try a bland diet of rice and beef chunks to see if it stops the reactions? Did your regular vet offer any suggestions for what you should do about this "allergy". If not, maybe you should go to an e-vet and see what they suggest.

Edited by MaryJane

After reading the story about using vitamin K for an allergy - I am wondering if he got into something outside a couple days ago or was it the new food that gave him the D? Snow is melting outside, and of course he needs to smell every snowbank when out walking and who knows what he gets his nose/mouth into while in the backyard during this mucky season -when I am not looking

I still have no idea what Dustin got into...but same thing...it happened about three days after I had taken him for several walks in one given day. It had been weeks since we could walk and not just use the yard because of all the ice. Then we had a warm day - we went for four walks that day.....I don't know if he got road salt or chemicals on his nose.....The vet did not give the benadryl for the initial issue - just the vitamin K. It was after that when the hives started and he began "blowing" up....at that point she gave the benadryl. Dustin's diarreah had distinct amounts of blood....some of it mixed with mucous. Sound like he might have a similar issue. I also have had to resolve myself to the fact that I think Dustin's very pink, thin skin makes the reddening very obvious, because even now that he is fine weeks later, I am noticing that he does get red now and again and then it fades back...but nobloody diarreah on those more "normal" episoded.

Continued well wishes for your baby.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.