Dysuria.....(Tying Up)

Guest twoskinnydogs

Guest twoskinnydogs

My 8 year old male has had issues with Dysuria for the 3 years I've had him. My vet has him on Methocarbamol and Tramadol for pain during his episodes. Has anyone else had dealings with their grey tying up? And if so what treatment did you use?

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I don't have personal experience, but an acquaintance of mine has a dog with this problem. They put him on Valium but I don't know what other meds.

Assume he's had x-ray, ultrasound, bloodwork?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest twoskinnydogs

He has had x-rays, bloodwork and a sterile urine sample taken. All has checked out, leaves us with Dysuria. How much aspirin?

Edited by twoskinnydogs

Be careful with aspirin. If you ever need to give other NSAIDs or a steroid such as pred, you have to wait several days after giving aspirin, which may delay treatment. This is just in general.

When is he tying up? Is it after hard runs or does he just randomly tie up?

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Lovey_Hounds

He has had x-rays, bloodwork and a sterile urine sample taken. All has checked out, leaves us with Dysuria. How much aspirin?

We give 1 adult asprin after he has been runnig hard or coursing (vegas weighs 68lbs) i was told i could give up to 2 asprins (by my vet) but 1 works for him. please make sure he is not getting other types of medications before or after he takes the asprin unless you have checked with your vet to see if it is ok to mix.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Cabby does this on occasion and I was told to give 400 IU of Vitamin E a day (one liquid capsule). sure enough it stopped happening. I ran out of pills once and did not get more for 2 weeks, he started tying up again. It works for him and I make sure I do not run out now! Cabby has had multiple cultures, had a urine sample taken directly from his bladder with a needle once and has had his bladder looked at with ultrasound. Everything has always tested normal.

The Vitamin E will not hurt to try and is inexpensive, I hope it helps....

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I asked my friend what her dog is on. The vet prescribed valium and prazosin. The valium decreases contraction of the external urethral sphincter and the prazosin causes relaxation of the internal urethral sphincter muscle.

That combination seems to be working very well for her dog.

Guest twoskinnydogs

Thanks everyone, I also made contact with someone I know who works at the JAX track. He suggested a product called K-Ease, I showed my vet and he said that the product was herbal and we could try it. It's fairly inexpensive and I already ordered it. I also have been giving the cranberry raisins. I wanted to try this using natural things rather than more drugs. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Jason, Toby and Emma

• 1 year later...
Guest jbbuzby

Did you have good luck with the K-Ease? My dog was having the same problem recently, and I found your posts! I just purchased some in hopes it helps him. It comes and goes without much apparent cause, but I hate to think of him being in discomfort during the episodes. Let me know!

Raisins?? Am I reading that right? How many are you giving as they can be toxic in large quantities.

She said cranberry raisins. I presume by this she means dried cranberries. As an aside, grapes and [grape] raisins should never be given in any quantity - as few as 6 raisins have been known to kill a 45lb border collie. Toxicity seems to be be variable and there is no correlation between weight of dog and amount of raisins consumed.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

If anyone is still interested, I found this:

Meds for Male Greyhounds That "Tie-Up" (Can't Urinate)

I recently advised a GH-Ler what to do about her greyhound that had problems with "tying up," which is essentially a urethral spasm seen only in male greyhounds. After cystoscopies and bladder biopsies and all sorts of diagnostic procedures, this person posted to the GH-L for help.

Anyway, I recommended 10 mg Dibenzyline every 12 hours as needed, I've used tons of this on racers. The dog responded immediately and was doing just fine. Now the news comes that Dibenzyline is increasing in price from $60-something per bottle of 100 to $600-something! So I researched around a little and found out that Novartis is manufacturing Ismelin, which can also be used. It's cost (to the pharmacist) is also $60-something per 100 of the 10 mg pills. The dose is 5-10 mg every 12 hours as needed.

Tuck this info away and save it somewhere.

Suzanne Stack, D.V.M.

Source

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Another possible medication is phenoxybenzamine. This is what my dog was put on. As a side effect it can lower BP. Indeed, my dog was taken off enalapril soon after starting phenoxybenzamine. Shortly after adopting my Greyhound someone else in our group had a male Grey with dysuria. After many, many tests, several medication trials & much money they put the dog on phenoxybenzamine. It worked.

Not sure what the real go to is for this condition in Greys. Can only report this anecdotal evidence that phenoxybenzamine might help.

Guest twoskinnydogs

Thanks for the info, Toby is currently undergoing chemo for hemangiosarcoma and luckly we have not had a bad episode of the dysuria during this time. Our oncologist only wants him to take tramadol and methocarbomol because of the chemo. He has two more chemo treatments so we have our fingers and paws crossed here!

The K-ease did not really work by itself. I continued to give it along with the methocarbomol and together he got some relief

Edited by twoskinnydogs