Mystery Lump Update Post #7

This lump appeared on a friend's 11.5 year old girl. Vet doesn't know what it is but did take some fine needle biopsies from it. The aspiration was bloody. It will be a few more days before results come in.

The skin did not initially look this red when the lump was first seen a week ago. Perhaps it's bruising from a rough examination by the vet? Vet questioned whether it might be a mammary tumor but it is not falling along the milk line. This girl was spayed at age 6. No other history prior to then is known because she was an Orange County dog.

The egg-shaped lump measures 2"x4" and feels mushy like liver. There are some areas away from it that feel like fluid under the skin. When lying belly-up it does not protrude as much as when she is standing. When standing it might sag down an inch or two. In the photos the lump itself is not red. I think she was checked a few years ago for von Willebrands (sp?) when she had an episode of bruising?

Other than being sore from the exam, this girl did not show signs of discomfort. Prior to this appearing she had been laying outside on the deck. Any chance it's a bug bite? If so, why wouldn't the vet recognize it as such?

emma2small.jpg

emmasmall.jpg

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest bluefawn

It could be a brown recluse bite - that's what it looks like to me. Did it have a black center and a "halo" around it earlier on? I hope that's not what this is. Sending prayers and healing thoughts for this girl.

Guest tinams8

It is not a typical location for it, but the inflammation could indicate a mast cell tumor. If so I would give Benedryl around the clock until it is removed. It does also look like an insect bite. I hope it's a big, harmless mosquito bite!

Looks like a bug bite to me. I would give it a little time.

" If so, why wouldn't the vet recognize it as such?"

Nothing vets do surprise me. I had one er vet send me home to wait on a referral for "knee" problems (in a greyhound? not likely in the first place). Another vet QUICKLY diagnosed that leg was BROKEN. Poor Slim could of died or seriouslly done more damage waiting on a referall- not to mention the pain- had I not pursued it further. What can you say? Any wonder I don't trust them?

Hope it goes away fast and the ole gal gets well quick!

Guest Energy11

I agree with Karen. It looks like a spider bite of some kind. With this warm weather sooo early, the insects, bees and snakes are out FAR earlier than they should be! I would have to say, a spider bite, possibly a Brown Recluse. If it is a Recluse, they are tissue necrotic, and require special attention.

I'd mention this to the vet, and see if maybe (2) 25 mg Benedryl every six to eight hours might help the swelling.

Sending good thoughts your way, and hoping for a simple answer!

Emma's vet says she has a bacterial infection either caused by bug bites or something she picked up by laying on the ground. Whew!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest d0ggiem0mma

We went through the same thing a couple years ago. The no-see-um bugs had moved into our back yard and were eating my dogs alive. They had big welts like that on their bellies. We got the skin cleared up and put K9 Advantix on them to keep the bugs away. Haven't had a problem sense and the no-see-ums didn't come back the next summer!

Here's a link to a short piece with a pic of some "no-seem-um" bites. They don't usually get nasty looking and the dogs generally ignore them. They do like the belly and especially genital areas!

bugs-debbie-warner.jpg?w=443&h=332

I just figured out how to post an image. Here they are.