Clicker Training

Guest Duke

Have been using the clicker to work on Duke’s leash reactivity, I bought the book click to calm and read and re read posts about the topic. I just wanted to report that I saw results yesterday and I was so choked up. I took him to the park where dogs are allowed leashed, there were three separate dogs at varying distances, I was able to click and treat the whole time with him way below threshold (if I am using the terminology correctly). On the way home I had to jump off the curb and cross the street because there was a dog coming in our direction, I also had run out of treats but was close to home, as I crossed the street there was a dog coming our way on the other side, So basically I was somewhere in the middle and I clicked away and used praise to walk past these two dogs. Duke looked to his right and left and I managed to get past both without an eruption. I was choked up, I feel really hopeful that I can continue to use this tool with greater success and more progress.

I feel a little choked up just reading this. You are really working hard to help Duke & now getting to see those efforts pay off. It is such an amazing feeling when that happens. It is made even better by getting these results using rewards & praise rather than corrections. I enjoy seeing my dogs' enjoyment. Am relieved & feel good when I have helped my dog feel better about something.

My Greyhounds do not seem to care a wit about pleasing me except when it pleases them. Its all about what works for them. The are so wonderful in so many other ways that I accept this. Early on praise had no meaning to them. Over time they seem to start to associate it with rewards. Now praise seems to be a reward in itself. Getting to that point is my reward. I love it when I say "Good" & they light up even when I have nothing else to offer them.

You & Duke are becoming quite a team! :thumbs-up:yay

I've been using the clicker to work through leash issues with my poodle. Right now we're focusing on cars and he's doing really well. Once cars are conquered we'll move on to dogs...which is going to be much more difficult but hopefully the work we've done with cars will help with the dogs. It's such a relief when a car goes by and there's no reaction from him so I really know where you're coming from. We're not at 100% no reaction yet but slowly moving in that direction.

Congrats on the success!

That is really fantastic!!! :clap

Kudos to you for actually being proactive about changing his behavior rather than just managing it! So many people don't realize that a dog who is feeling forced to react around other dogs is an unhappy dog and needs help changing his feelings about being around them.

I don't remember (shame on me) and I may even be one of the people who recommended the Emma Parsons book, but does she recommend using a "look at me" cued behavior or does she teach the auto-check in (your dog sees another dog, looks at you on his own and gets clicked and rewarded)?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am waiting for that book - I ordered it with something else so have to wait for the other item before it is shipped. My problem will be finding time to work with each dog and then working with them together.:rolleyes:

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

I am waiting for that book - I ordered it with something else so have to wait for the other item before it is shipped. My problem will be finding time to work with each dog and then working with them together.:rolleyes:

Load them all into the car and go to Petsmart. Park away from where everyone else parks (lazy humans all park as close to the door as they can get). Get your dogs out one at a time and do a training session with each of them. Go at a busy time, Saturday morning or something so there are certain to be a lot of people with dogs coming and going. Or if it's closer, you could also use a dog park. I would bring something to cover the windows with so when you're working with one, the rest of them don't get worked up inside the car.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."