Moving To Texas And Maine

Guest hattiepumpkin

Guest hattiepumpkin

Hello,

My husband and I are moving from NJ to Maine and then to Houston, TX for my husband's job. Our sweet little Hattie girl is going to be 7 years old this spring. She has a number of big adjustments coming her way. The first one is that, since the beginning of January, she has been at my mother's house with my mom and her greyhound. The reason she has been with my mom is that I am currently 42 (yes, 42--any day now!) weeks pregnant, and since my husband travels constantly for work, I was petrified of falling on the ice while walking her during my last month of pregnancy (we live in Northern NJ, and we don't have a yard-we live in a terribly maintained townhome complex). As soon as I have the baby, my mom is bringing Hattie back down so that she can adjust to the newborn. So, that's going to be another adjustment--there is going to be a newborn, and she's back in her regular house. In the spring, we are moving to Maine for 6 months, and then in October, we move to Texas for 6 months. Typically, Hattie has always traveled very well, and in the past, when we've both stayed with my mom for a month here and there in the summer, she adjusts fine. Is there any reason to think that she may not be fine this time around? Does anyone have any advice for making the transition as smooth as possible for Hattie? My other concern is the Houston heat. She HATES super hot weather, and when the weather gets to even around 70 in NJ after the winter, she pants like crazy. How do other Houston dog owners handle it? I usually walk with spray bottles in the summer and just continually mist her. Any other suggestions or thoughts? All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest PiagetsMom

No advice on the moving situation, but the good news for Hattie is that your 6 months in Houston will be Oct - April, and you'll miss our really hot and humid weather. It's not uncommon for it to be in the 70-80 degree range during some of those months though, so if she's that sensitive to 70 degrees or above, she may still be uncomfortable. We do outside time and walks early morning and late evening, and the pups enjoy the air conditioning the rest of the time :)

Good luck with the new baby and moves!

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest katethegreyt

I'm in Houston, and we just got a new greyhound, so I've been trying to research hot weather stuff (and have even needed cold weather stuff this year). There are "cooling" bandanas that can be good for some dogs, since there is a lot of bloodflow there. Also, there are several people who make "cooling coats" that you can soak before you go out. Then they keep the dog cool as the water evaporates and you can re-dampen as necessary. They usually come in white or a very light color which also helps reflect some of the sun away.

Keeping walks to early and very late can also be helpful, though the humidity can make the relatively pleasant 78 degree nights seem pretty disgusting.

As PiagetsMom said though, Oct-April is usually super nice, and you may even have need of your northen coats for part of that time period = )

How do other Houston dog owners handle it? I usually walk with spray bottles in the summer and just continually mist her

Don't walk long in the hot summers. There have been several greys lost to heat stroke taking their morning walk. You could do short, let's potty walks and that is it!

I am fortunate in that my guys love the heat, hate the cold. I brought out the sweaters for the last few days, otherwise, they stay in the closet (the sweaters, not the dogs) :lol This is the first year Huston willing stood and let me put a sweater on him--other years I've had to chase him :rolleyes:

75-78 in the house with ceiling fans is comfortable for them. A/C is a must, both in the car & house for all concerned.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I don't think you'll have too many problems with heat in Oct - April but if it starts to get hot for her walk early or late. I

Doubt misting will do you a lot of good in Houston with all the humidity and you might think twice about a cooling coat. :dunno I don't live in Houston but have been there enough to quote the adage "It's not just the heat, it's the humidity"....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Well, the good news is that you're moving at the best possible time. Others have pointed out that the heat is not too bad in Texas at the time you'll be moving there, and you are moving to Maine at the best possible time of year - the spring can be a bit wet here -- we call it mud season for a reason -- but summer is just WONDERFUL in Maine. 80s all the way and hardly ever have days in the 90s, let alone triple digits. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry - I'm in the middle of a Maine winter and it's NOT nice!

The main point here though, I think, is this: if you don't stress out too much about it, neither will she. I always feel that dogs tune into our moods so much, and if we act like everything is simply running its course and not a big deal, they eventually realize that everything is okay and that the sky isn't going to crash on their heads :rolleyes:

Congrats on your impending new arrival, by the way :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest hattiepumpkin

Thanks so much for all the great advice. Hattie is one of the most mellow, adaptable dogs I have ever seen--even for a greyhound. It probably helps that, when we first got her, I took her EVERYWHERE with me--friends' houses, traveling, the store, etc. She walks into a place and just flops after sniffing. I'll probably handle all these transitions and changes far worse than she will! It's good that it seems we'll be hopefully missing the extremes of weather in both areas. I didn't realize that spring in Maine is called mud season! I know the summer is fantastic, and I love fall up there--my husband and I used to go up the first weekend in November every year, and it was just great. No tourists, but still not too cold.

On a separate note, Merlin's Mom, I have another question now about bugs. I know that Maine has a LOT of ticks, and Hattie has TERRIBLE reactions to Advantix, unfortunately (I think it's the far more effective of the two big ones--Advantix and Frontline). Is there anything special you do to keep your pup(s) tick free? Are there any organic sprays out there that I can use in conjunction with the Frontline? We're going to be living in a house that is right on the edge of the woods, and I'm trying to plan ahead for bug control. Any thoughts?

Yes, Spring in Maine is mud season. Then around June or so comes Black Fly season. But you will be there roughly during the very best months (though I LOVE Octobers in Maine). There will be hot days here and there in the 80's and even approaching 90's, but it is occasional. And the nights are cool. So there is plenty of relief. The weather will be starting to get cool when you leave for TX. Depending on whether you will be in coastal or inland Maine it can be quite cool in early Fall. I am NOT enjoying or Winter in New England this year. It has been wicked. But I will take cold over heat any day. I can always warm-up, but when it's hot I cannot escape the heat! Enjoy and good luck with all the changes! You have a very interesting year a head of you!

finalsiggy.jpg

I have another question now about bugs. I know that Maine has a LOT of ticks, and Hattie has TERRIBLE reactions to Advantix, unfortunately (I think it's the far more effective of the two big ones--Advantix and Frontline).

You mention Advantix twice. Were you thnking of Advantage (which does not work on ticks at all) in your second reference? Many greys have had reactions to the permethirin in Advantix. We luckily don't have ticks in my little world but if we did I wouldn't use Advantix.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg