"pet Food: A Dog's Breakfast", A Special On Cnbc

Guest greyhound9797

I doubt I'll tune in. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to see a show on what is in the tasty chorizo and eggs the cooks at work make for breakfast, the tamales the grandmama down the street makes at Christmas (pork and beef heads) or an awesome chili cheese dog.

This rumble has been going on for years and years with varying degrees of validation. Bottom line for me is I don't have the time, desire or ability (balanced nutrient, vitamin and mineral etc. wise) to home cook for my pets so they'll just have to eat bags of food consisting of what some claim to be ground up cats and flea collars.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I've watched it, very interesting documentary and I would recommend viewing it and drawing your own conclusions.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greyhound9797

I checked my TV guide and CNBC doesn't seem to be airing it here?? It says something about Facebook will be on, instead. <_<

Unfortunately it's been pulled from the programming schedule. I'm a skeptic so I assume it's due to pressure from commercial pet food companies but that's just my personal opinion.

Sandra in FL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Profgumby

I doubt I'll tune in. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to see a show on what is in the tasty chorizo and eggs the cooks at work make for breakfast, the tamales the grandmama down the street makes at Christmas (pork and beef heads) or an awesome chili cheese dog.

This rumble has been going on for years and years with varying degrees of validation. Bottom line for me is I don't have the time, desire or ability (balanced nutrient, vitamin and mineral etc. wise) to home cook for my pets so they'll just have to eat bags of food consisting of what some claim to be ground up cats and flea collars.

I kind of agree, though I wouldn't mind a 30 second, cliff notes type, rundown of the content of the broadcast..

I do however trust that the regulatory folks keep the benzene and funny chemicals out of the food supply and for that reason alone I would watch the show, even with the cliff notes summary...

EDIT: I followed a few links after the one provided above...I wonder if any of the high end food companies are using the stuff as referenced in the Baltimore article...

Edited by Profgumby

Where is the "like" button when I need it?

I agree - I do the best I can, and research as much as I can. But, in the end, they get what I give them...

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest KennelMom

Do people really think "human quality" food goes in to dog food? Of course it doesn't! They only put pictures of that stuff (you'd eat) on the bag. Marketing. You probably wouldn't buy hot dogs or chicken nuggets if they put what went in to them on the package either.

Dogs have survived for thousands of generations living off the scraps and left over stuff that humans wouldn't or couldn't eat. Commercially made dog food is no different....though the chemicals, additives and preservatives can be quite sketchy. I guess someone in the gov't is regulating it all....

Here's an old "how it's made" episode for dog food...apparently some sort of vegetarian variety :blink: they dont' show any meat in the process.