2011 Second Annual Ghwp Conference

I will keep thinking about a place for a quiet, yet not expensive dinner. The only place that comes to mind near campus is a new Greek restaurant. I've only eaten there once, for lunch. I just had a gyro and fries, which was good, but I can't really speak about the rest of the food. It did have white tablecloths and seemed more refined than the other restaurants in the immediate area. Most entrees are about $15 but a gyro sandwich is only $6 ($10 for the platter). Here is the website:

http://www.greekcornerus.com/Greek_Corner/Home.html

Of course I know more about the restaurants in my part of town (Westerville). Perhaps other central Ohioans could pipe in with their favorites). I also know some in other areas as we have a monthly "greyhound" dinner with my greyhound rescue group. Here are a few other thoughts (but they are further away)

Lucky House in Westerville (my corner of Columbus). About 20 minutes away from campus. I eat here a lot and also order take out. I have never had a bad meal here. White tablecloth type of place. Prices are reasonable. For a Friday night, you might want to make a reservation. I think they have a liquor license but you might want to ask. They are hard to come by in Westerville (The birthplace of the temperance movement way back when -- it was totally dry into the 1970s but it has loosened up a lot in the last 10 years).

http://www.luckyhouseohio.com/

The Banana Leaf Cafe in Dublin offers an excellent vegetarian Indian buffet. About 10 to 15 minutes away from campus but very easy to get to. Be sure to come very, very hungry. The buffet includes all you can drink Lassi (a yoghurt drink), up to seven rounds of appetizer, a buffet, dessert and chai tea. My memory is a bit hazy, but I think it is either $13 or $15. The atmosphere is not as refined as the other two but it is quiet as it is quite small. You may need a reservation -- not sure. I would guess that they do not have a liquor license.

http://bananaleafofcolumbus.com/

Cardone's in Westerville is very good Italian. It is small so make a reservation. Entree's are in the $13 to $15 range. It is on the north side of Westerville so it is about 30 minutes away from campus.

http://www.cardonesrestaurant.com/

I'll keep thinking on this.

For Saturday night, to combat all the sitting we will do at the conference, I suggest going to the short north for the Gallery Hop. One night a month, all the stores and art galleries stay open late. This happens to be the night. There are bands outdoors and lots of places to eat. You just find some parking (can be difficult) and walk up and down the 5 block area. The short north district runs from about the 500 block to the 900 block of North High Street (just east and south of campus).

Conference Motel Information

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Arriving Thursday May 5 by car

Staying at Varsity Inn North

Jen Komatsu (bigorangedog from Minnesota)

Fly in Friday May 6

Varsity Inn North

Jane Varley (joejoesmom)

Here all the time

staying at my home in Westerville (NE suburb of Columbus)

614-523-0754

Just thought of another dinner possibility but only if the weather is nice. Cap City Diner has excellent food ($15 to $20 for entree but sandwiches for $9). Inside though is noisy. They have a nice patio at the Grandview location but the weather may or may not be good on May 7. It is not far from campus. It is american cuisine. Reservations suggested.

http://capcityfinediner.com/

The Thurman Cafe tends to be a bit noisy because they have a jukebox but they have the best burgers ever! No reservations accepted and it can be a long wait. But it is located in German Village which can be a fun place to walk. It is small (only about 10 or 15 tables) so probably not a good place for your Friday night dinner. But a fun place for a smaller group for lunch or dinner.

http://www.thethurmancafe.com/menus

Edited by joejoesmom

The Panera Bread up the road from the Varsity Inn North about 10 minutes has a community room. It has soup, salad and sandwiches, they are probably only open until 9 PM.

Is there an Olive Garden around there? They sometimes have meeting rooms.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Adding to the list:

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Fly in Friday May 6

Varsity Inn North

Jane Varley (joejoesmom)

Here all the time

614-523-0754

Suzy Denniston (packmom)

I'm already here

614-475-9462

Guest mcsheltie

Adding to the list:

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Fly in Friday May 6

Varsity Inn North

Jane Varley (joejoesmom)

Here all the time

614-523-0754

Suzy Denniston (packmom)

I'm already here

614-475-9462

Julie Spayde (mcsheltie)

driving in Friday.

Probably staying at a Red Roof or Motel 6

517 455 9322

Okay, one last restaurant thought for today:

Skillet in German Village would be a great choice for Sunday brunch. Be advised that it is very, very small. If you have more than 4 people, sign up for separate tables. Not good for a crowd. Can be a wait, depends on the day. Very imaginative food, focusing on breakfast foods but lunch and dinner options available. Only open until 2 pm on the weekend. Get their skillet cinnamon roll, ask for it if it is not on the menu. Yummy.

http://www.skilletruf.com/index.html

Columbus has some great ice cream. Check out Jeni's Splendid (Salty Caramel is a local fave) for some unique and yummy treats. It is quite pricy though but worth every penny in my opinion. For those who like more traditional ice cream, Graeter's is incredible and a bit less pricy. Be sure to get a chocolate chunk flavor if you like chocolate. Black Raspberry Chip is a local fave but I prefer the coconut chip or buckeye blitz.

I have not included chain restaurants figuring that most everyone knows what they are like. You can find most chain restaurants within a reasonable distance of campus.

Edited by joejoesmom

Adding to the list:

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Fly in Friday May 6

Varsity Inn North

Jane Varley (joejoesmom)

Here all the time

614-523-0754

Suzy Denniston (packmom)

I'm already here

614-475-9462

Julie Spayde (mcsheltie)

driving in Friday.

517 455 9322

Ok--I'm adding too

Tracy Brauch

Driving in late Thursday afternoon

Wish I was there all the time :rolleyes:

201 417-3095

Staying at the Varsity Inn North

Guest TinasTroops

Kewl staying at the same hotel too.

Maybe we should start a list of who is coming, where you are from, when you are arriving, how you are arriving (driving or flying), and where you are staying.

What did the folks do last year who flew in? I would say just copy and paste to keep adding to the list

Conference Motel Information

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Edited by TinasTroops

Guest TinasTroops

Jane, Are you also looking for donation to the silent Auction?

Happy Houndz Home & Greyhound Supporters will be happy to provide donations.

I got a reply from OSU:

Any attendees can attend any of the sessions. :yay :yay :yay

Yeah!! Please be respectful with your questions and recognize that we don't want to ask questions that vets would know -- in other words, we don't want to slow the proceedings down. This way we non-vets will be able to attend any session in future years.

Also, bring whatever fun money you have. This year packmom, tallgreydogmom and I are organizing a silent auction and there will also be a few vendors. The proceeds will benefit the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness program.

Jane

Jiffer and I are in for either Friday or Sat's get togeather.

Cora I would love to met you and place another order this year too. :P

Hi Tina,

I will be taking pre-orders for the scrubs and t-shirts as soon as I get my husband off to Sandy Paws. On the t-shirts, I will be taking orders for the logo Running Greyhound with Ohio State Greyhound Program, under the paw you many order

"2011 Member".

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest boondog

Adding to the list:

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Fly in Friday May 6

Varsity Inn North

Jane Varley (joejoesmom)

Here all the time

614-523-0754

Suzy Denniston (packmom)

I'm already here

614-475-9462

Julie Spayde (mcsheltie)

driving in Friday.

517 455 9322

Ok--I'm adding too

Tracy Brauch

Driving in late Thursday afternoon

Wish I was there all the time :rolleyes:

201 417-3095

Staying at the Varsity Inn North

I'm local, too.

Julie Dzielawa (boondog)

614 239 0943

• 2 months later...

I'm here now with sweetdogs. Looking forward to the conference. Sorry for all that wanted yo come but, couldn't make it. Still looking to see if any other GTers would like to get together for a Friday night dinner.