2011 Second Annual Ghwp Conference

Here's the linky: conference registration and the brochure. There's a group rate too! (Must find a way to sneak into the vet session...ph34r.gif)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am once again offering to help anyone needing some local logistical information. To start things off, I will post below some hotel information. Of course there are many more hotels to choose from, just let me know what you are looking for.

I have not checked on the latest rates for all of the hotels, so please double check when you book your room. Most hotels near the university have an OSU rate -- you must mention that you are coming to the OSU Vet Hospital.

PETS ALLOWED:

The University Plaza Hotel

3100 Olentangy River Road

Columbus, OH 43202

614-267-7461

OSU Vet School Rate: $85.00 -- Note that there is an additional $20 charge for a pet.

Red Roof Inn

441 Ackerman Road

Columbus, OH 43202

614-267-9941

OSU Vet School Rate: normally $54.99 but it will increase if there is something going on at OSU

Varsity Inn North (note that Varsity Inn South does not allow pets)

3246 Olentangy River Road

Columbus, OH

614-267-4646

I have heard that they are now charging a non-refundable pet fee

50 Lincoln Bed and Breakfast

50 East Lincoln Street

Columbus, OH 43215

614-299-5050

OSU Rate $109 to $119

Notes: An 8 room Italianate about 2 miles south of OSU in the Short North District. They have two rooms that allow dogs. Both rooms have a lot of steps. You must be with your dog at all times. This B&B gets great reviews but I haven't checked it out myself.

Motel 6 Hilliard

3950 Parkway Lane

Hilliard, OH

614-771-1500

Note: This motel is about 15 minutes west/southwest from the campus, however it is quite inexpensive ($39.99 for one person -- $42.02 with tax) and in a safe area.

There is also a Motel 6 in Worthington, in the I-270 and US Rt 23 area. It is about 15 minutes north and slightly east of the campus. This is a very nice area.

NO DOGS ALLOWED:

Varsity Inn South

1445 Olentangy River Road

Columbus, Ohio

614-291-2983

Fairfield Inn

3031 Olentangy River Road

Columbus, OH 43210

614-267-1111

1-800-228-2800

10% discount for OSU Vet Clients

The Blackwell

2110 Tuttle Park Place

Columbus, OH 43210

614-247-4000

866-247-4003

OSU Rate: $141.00

Hyatt Regency

350 North Hight Street

Columbus, OH 43215

614-463-1234

OSU Rate $109

This hi rise hotel is about 3 miles south of OSU next to the Columbus Convention Center and just 3 blocks north of downtown (the corner of High Street and Broad Street)

Most areas outside of the I 270 loop are safe. If you get a lower cost hotel in this area you should still be in a reasonably good part of town. If you have any questions, please just ask me.

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks for posting. I only want to go if I can go to the vet session! (Esp. the cancer one!!) Do they make you "prove" that you are a vet?? I'll probably be coming with my vet! Doesn't that count??

Thanks for posting. I only want to go if I can go to the vet session! (Esp. the cancer one!!) Do they make you "prove" that you are a vet?? I'll probably be coming with my vet! Doesn't that count??

There were several requests last year from non-vets wanting to attend the vet sessions. Since this seems to be a common desire, I will check with OSU for everyone and post it here.

I also wanted to let everyone know that if you must bring your dog(s), they are not allowed in the conference area. There will be a limited number of dog runs (in the hospital) available but you will need to make arrangements in advance.

Guest bigorangedog

I also wanted to let everyone know that if you must bring your dog(s), they are not allowed in the conference area. There will be a limited number of dog runs (in the hospital) available but you will need to make arrangements in advance.

That was my next question. :lol Thanks for checking on the vet sessions! With 5 osteo hounds in the past 2 years, I know all the "greyhound owner stuff" there is to know about cancer. I need the vet session!

Guest hlpnhounds

That was my next question. :lol Thanks for checking on the vet sessions! With 5 osteo hounds in the past 2 years, I know all the "greyhound owner stuff" there is to know about cancer. I need the vet session!

I attended last year. I am a vet tech and attended the Veterinary sessions. I will say that they allowed owners to attend the veterinary sessions but with the understanding that much of the material covered can be quite technical and that, with respect to time constraints and the professionals there for CE credits, they will not go into explaining some things that may be a bit overwhelming for non-medical people to "get" in a one-two hour session.

I am looking forward to attending again this year as the topics are very different from last year. Very educational no matter which sessions you attend !! You will learn a lot!

Oh, Dr. Dyce is speaking, too. Things are really tight, but I think I'm going to try to go to this. I wonder if my vet is going again this year?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I got a reply from OSU:

Any attendees can attend any of the sessions. :yay :yay :yay

Yeah!! Please be respectful with your questions and recognize that we don't want to ask questions that vets would know -- in other words, we don't want to slow the proceedings down. This way we non-vets will be able to attend any session in future years.

Also, bring whatever fun money you have. This year packmom, tallgreydogmom and I are organizing a silent auction and there will also be a few vendors. The proceeds will benefit the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness program.

Jane

There were several requests last year from non-vets wanting to attend the vet sessions. Since this seems to be a common desire, I will check with OSU for everyone and post it here.

I am also interested in the Vet cancer session also. I will pay the vet fee and promise not to say a word. I have had some experience with Osteo and Brain Cancer in Greyhounds.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is final clarification regarding the pricing (more questions were brought up in the other thread). This is from Dr. Marin.

The fees for the conference are as follows:

Veterinarian and vet techs: $100.00

All Other Participants: $75.00

Any attendees can attend any of the sessions without paying additional fees.

I am ccing Gen Thompson (CE Coordinator) so we are all on the same page.

Guest TinasTroops

Jiffer and I are booked in at Varsity Inn North and yes they said if you bring a dog there is a $10 fee.

Hope we can arrange a dinner gathering either the Friday or Sat night.

Wonderful Idea Jane!!!!

I got a reply from OSU:

Yeah!! Please be respectful with your questions and recognize that we don't want to ask questions that vets would know -- in other words, we don't want to slow the proceedings down. This way we non-vets will be able to attend any session in future years.

Also, bring whatever fun money you have. This year packmom, tallgreydogmom and I are organizing a silent auction and there will also be a few vendors. The proceeds will benefit the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness program.

Jane

Edited by TinasTroops

Jiffer and I are booked in at Varsity Inn North and yes they said if you bring a dog there is a $10 fee.

Hope we can arrange a dinner gathering either the Friday or Sat night.

Wonderful Idea Jane!!!!

I got a reply from OSU:

Jane

Edited by tbhounds

For those of you who are trying to make dinner plans in advance, here are some suggestions about area restaurants. I have not updated this since last year so be sure to doublecheck with them before making final plans:

The University Plaza Hotel is located at 3110 Olentangy River Road. This road runs roughly north and south, parallel to the US315 highway.

There is a McDonalds very close to this hotel. That would be a quick breakfast. For a more leisurely breakfast, I would suggest Bob Evans. There are two near OSU. One is right next to the hotel at 3140 Olentangy River Road.

The other one is south of campus at 1455 Olentangy River Road. This is called the Lennox Town Center area. From your hotel you would go south on Olentangy River Road (I think it would be a left). You will go past Lane Avenue, continuing on Olentangy River Road. The road "sort of" dead ends. At this point turn left to stay on Olentangy River Road (turning right will put you on Kinnear which heads off to the west).

These are two of the major retail areas around the Vet School. The third is the Lane Avenue Shopping Center Area. From Olentangy River Road, Route 315 or the Vet School, head west on Lane Avenue. You will see some restaurants along the way and then come to the Lane Avenue Shopping Center on the left.

There are a lot of choices for dinner.

If you want a very quick stop, there are good fast food Asian places (better than most fast food Chinese) on Lane Avenue, just west of campus. One is called Tai’s Asian Bistro. Entrees are $6.50 to $9.00. I have had the Dan Dan noodles and the Pad Thai. Both were very good. The other is called Pho Noodle. Pho Noodle has a larger selection and very slightly lower prices. The Pad Thai and Dan Dan are good but not quite as good as Tai’s. I LOVE the Thai green curry and the Thai red curry here, but beware, they are both very hot. I had the garlic chicken once and thought it was so-so. If you continue west on Lane Avenue there is a Graeter's Ice Cream Parlor (just before La Chatelaine). IMHO it is absolutely the best ice cream in the world. Be sure to get a chocolate chunk flavor. You can also get something healthy at the deli in the Whole Foods Grocery Store.

Other restaurants in the Vet School area are mainly chain restaurants. If you want something different try the following areas (just a few miles away).

Short North Area:

Head east until you get to High Street (the main north/south drag in Columbus). Turn right to go south. The Short North Area runs from roughly the 900 block (on the north end) to the 500 block (on the south end). The day of the conference is also the monthly Gallery Hop. The businesses in the Short North stay open late and there is usually music and streetside events. Expect parking to be difficult. The more upscale restaurants have valet parking for a fee.

Some restaurants here include:

Rigsby's (long time one of the top five in Columbus) -- upscale Italian and fairly pricy

Martinis -- pricy Italian but reputed to be very good, I have not been here

Marcella's -- mid price Italian and good

Hyde Park Steak House -- excellent steak house but pricy

Lemongrass -- pacific rim fusion mid price. I have eaten at Lemongrass once. I had Pad Thai which was good but no better than Tai’s Bistro. The atmosphere however was tons better

L'Antibes -- romantic French, very pricy (also a top 10 restaurant);

Rosendales -- classic fine dining, pricy;

Haiku -- upscale pan-asian and sushi;

Barley's -- a brew pub, known for great beer;

Betty's -- I have not eaten here but I hear it is good. Prices are $9 to $13 for pasta, $9 to $15 for entrees, sandwiches are $8 or $9.

Benevolence Café (41 W Swan Street) about 50 feet down Spruce Street from the North Market – homemade vegetarian soups, stews and homemade breads served at a communal table. I have not eaten here but have heard great things. I believe it is fairly inexpensive but have not found a menu. It is hidden on a side street (actually more of an alley). Profits go to a Nature Sanctuary. It is only open from Monday to Saturday from 11am to 3 pm. I recently heard that they might have closed.

Really for the Short North, you just park your car and walk up and down the street until you see something you like. There are some inexpensive restaurants here -- I just haven't tried them.

The North Market is just south and west of the Short North. It closes at 5 pm but if you are still here on Sunday (or Friday), it is a great place to walk around and try different foods. You buy your meals at one of the 35 vendors and sit at the tables located upstairs or various places at the market. The prices are inexpensive. It is located at 59 West Spruce (just a block or so west of High Street) -- The landmark is to find the Convention Center on High Street and head west. There is parking near the market but be sure to get your ticket validated by a market vendor.

If you continue south on High Street, you will pass Broad Street (the main east/west drag in Columbus). Continue south a little bit and the German Village will be to your left and the Brewery District will be on your right. There are a few restaurants in the Brewery District and there are many restaurants in German Village. German Village is centered around 3rd Street, which is one way southbound. (Take 4th Street, one block to the east, to go northbound). So from High Street you will turn left (anywhere from Broad Street to Livingston Avenue) and go three short blocks until you reach 3rd Street. Turn right on 3rd Street and that will take you into the heart of German Village.

German Village restaurants:

Lindey's (169 E Beck) (Lindey's is one of my favorites)

Barcelona (263 E Whittier Street).

Schmidts Sausage Haus (240 E Kossuth) provides German food but is quite touristy. They are known for their Bahama Mama sausages, meatloaf and cream puffs. It is more "family" than upscale.

Katzinger's deli (475 south Third) serves good sandwiches.

Thurman Cafe

The Old Mohawk

The Book Loft is an interesting Book Store in a twisty and turny old house. It is located at 631 S Third. Here is a link to businesses in German Village:

http://www.german-village.com/businesses/businesses.htm

For the most part, numbered streets in Columbus run north/south and numbered avenues run east/west. So Fifth Avenue runs east/west and Fourth Street runs north/south.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have a specific cuisine or price point.

Jane<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Great (but usually pricy) restaurants in Columbus:

The All-Stars

It’s not easy for a restaurant to receive a four-star rating from Columbus Monthly. It’s even harder to earn five stars, our highest honor. In fact, there are only 20 restaurants that can boast of either of those rankings.

THE FIVE STARS

Alana’s, 2333 N. High St. (campus), 294-6783. This gem serves outstanding creative and seasonal dishes, with such distinctive names as the “Cornmeal fried green tomato all cheesy like with chorizo and sweet corn vinaigrette.” Dessert menu is also creative, and the wine list is exceptional. Only menu I could find was from a New Years Eve. Entrees were from $22 to $28

Kihachi, 2667 Federated Blvd. (northwest), 764-9040. Kihachi offers gracious service, artfully arranged dishes and outstanding cuisine. The finest bluefin toro is available here, as is the traditional Omakase dinner, which must be ordered at least two days in advance. Very authentic Japanese restaurant with leisurely but excellent service. Best to select multiple appetizers for your meal. I couldn’t find a menu online but am told this restaurant is Pricy

Refectory, 1092 Bethel Rd. (northwest), 451-9774. The Refectory is located in a restored 19th-century church. Its French-style cuisine is prepared with great flair and attention to detail. The wine list is superb. Entrée’s are $25 to $34. Long considered one of the best restaurants in Columbus. Formal, coat and tie required. They also have a Bistro menu serving a light dinner in their lounge for $24, dress is more casual. Note that the Bistro menu has very limited hours (just 5 to 6 pm on the weekends, 5:30 to 8:30 M-Th). I have eaten here once. I found the food to be excellent but it was extremely expensive for what you got.

Rigsby’s Kitchen, 698 N. High St. (near north), 461-7888. The frequently changing menu of American-style food with Italian overtones is full flavored. It’s one of those places where you can order at will. Rigsby’s sourdough bread is outstanding. Entrees are mostly between $23 and $30. Sides are extra. They have a bar with a less expensive menu. ($12 to $18). I love this restaurant – it was one of my favorites when I had an expense account. Too pricy for me now L .

THE FOUR STARS

Barcelona, 263 E. Whittier St. (German Village), 443-3699. A German Village favorite, Barcelona serves satisfying appetizers, pastas and delicious entrees in a casual, yet elegant environment. Try the artfully arranged hummus, calamari in a paper bag or a homemade dessert. Entrees are $20 to $28. Tapas (small plates) are $5 to $9. Lunch entrees are $9 to $13. I have had lunch here, on the patio. It was very good.

The Burgundy Room, 641 N. High St. (near north), 464-9463. Select a drink from the five-page wine menu, then decide on an entree or two, all of which are enthusiastically recommended at the hip, elegant tapas and wine bar. Standouts include home-style meatloaf, calamari, fried butternut squash ravioli and beef carpaccio. Tapas range from $5 to $14. Larger plates are $15 to $22

DeepWood, 511 N. High St., (downtown), 221-5602. Stuffed pasta in a spring onion broth, Vermont rack of lamb and bacon-wrapped monk fish are just a few of the simple and elegant American dishes offered at this four-star restaurant. Menu includes a broad wine list, as well as one of the best martinis in town. Entrée’s from $21 to $30

Doc Henderson’s, 318 E. Fifth St., Marysville (northwest), (937) 642-6661. This stylish restaurant in a former doctor’s mansion boasts a wide-ranging and interesting menu. Dishes are creative and well executed; items worth trying include chicken saltimbocca, panko-fried calamari and arugula salad. Entrée’s $22 to $30

Dragonfly Neo-V Cuisine, 247 King Ave. (near north), 298-9986. Dragonfly serves up colorful and boldly flavored vegetarian fare. Menu items change every three months, but stay imaginative and well executed. Wash the food down with an organic cocktail, wine or a nonalcoholic juice drink. Entrées are $17 to $22.

Eddie Merlot's, 1570 Polaris Pkwy. (northeast), 433-7307. Recommended dishes at this upscale steakhouse include artichoke dip, smokin' shrimp cocktail, Atlantic platter and just about any steak. The desserts were just as good, and the wine menu is extensive. Open for dinner 7 days. Entrée’s are $25 to $50 (a la carte)

Figlio, 1369 Grandview Ave., 481-8850; 3712 Riverside Dr. (in the Golden Bear Center), 459-6575 (both northwest). Two of the liveliest, and noisiest, gourmet pizza places in town. Look for pizzas such as kung pao shrimp and wild mushroom to emerge from the wood-burning oven. Pastas are $12 to $15, Pizzas are $10 to $13

G. Michael’s Bistro, 595 S. Third St. (German Village), 464-0575. Find delicious food and delightful dining at this Italian-American bistro, where dishes are well executed and salads have flavorful dressings. The cornmeal-crusted salmon and the lamb loin chops are first-rate. Entrees are $20 to $28

L’Antibes, 772 N. High St., Suite 106 (near north), 291-1666. This small Short North spot is a longtime favorite for French fare. Dishes include lamb loin, a filet of beef with a rich Roquefort sauce and veal sweetbreads. Entrée’s are $23 to $40

Latitude 41, 50 N. Third St. (downtown), 233-7541. Located in the Renaissance hotel, this restaurant emphasizes the use of fresh and local ingredients in its dishes, prepared excellently by chef Tony Miller. The menu of Latitude 41—the creation of South Florida chef Dean James Max—changes often. Entrées are $18 to $35

Lindey’s, 169 E. Beck St. (German Village), 228-4343. A favorite with Columbus Monthly readers, this chic bistro has fine cooking and service at lunch and dinner. Diners here love the tournedos as well as the pasta dishes and rack of lamb. Pastas are $13 to $18. Regular Entrees are $22 to $33. A la Carte (sides are extra). This is a long time favorite of mine. This, along with Rigsby’s was my go-to restaurant while entertaining business visitors on my expense account. Too expensive for me now though.

Marcella’s, 615 N. High St. (near north), 223-2100; 1319 Polaris Pkwy. (northeast), 844-6500. You’ll find a bustling atmosphere reminiscent of a Parisian brasserie, but the food here is a selection of well-executed Italian dishes, such as expertly fried calamari, carpaccio and linguine and clams. The menu lists extensive pizza selections, pastas and hot and cold plates for sharing. Entrees are $12 to $19. Salads are extra. I have eaten here twice and was pleased both times. Good Italian food.

Martini Modern Italian, 445 N. High St. (downtown), 224-8259. It offers tasty Italian fare, such as bruschetta, lasagna and veal and spinach ravioli. Also check out the inventive cocktails, a small but interesting wine list and the tasty desserts. Entrees are $17 to $42

Spagio, 1295 Grandview Ave. (northwest), 486-1114. A high-energy gathering place, Spagio serves “spa” food such as gourmet pizza and pastas. Always leave room for dessert. Entrees are $18 to $28. Pasta Entrees are $10 to $17. Gourmet pizzas are $10 to $14. I have had pizza here. The pizzas are on the small side (about 10 to 12 inches) for the price. Very good and interesting pizzas though.

Third & Hollywood, 1433 W. Third Ave. (northwest), 488-0303. A new concept from the owners of Northstar Cafe, Third & Hollywood is the city's newest four-star restaurant. Recommended dishes include guacamole and pimento cheese, grilled artichokes, cheddar herb biscuits, old-fashioned chicken dinner and the vegetable plate. I couldn’t find a menu but reviews say it is $18 to $30 for an entrée.

The Worthington Inn, 649 High St. (northwest), 885-2600. High-quality ingredients, culinary tradition and imagination blend at this comfortably refined country-inn-type restaurant. Start with a delicious soup or salad and an artfully elegant appetizer, and the entrees will not disappoint. Entrees are $18 to $30. This is a great white tablecloth restaurant. Whenever I had a large dinner party (once again, expense account), I would bring them here. They have several smaller dining rooms so we could eat by ourselves. The food was excellent but I haven’t been here in a while.

Wow thanks Jane! Guess if I leave Columbus hungry I did something wrong! Some of us Gters did get together for dinner last year-- forgot the name but, it was fun Mexican place -- met some new folks and had a wonderful time too. Looking foward to trying another get together again this year.

Guest mcsheltie

Wow thanks Jane! Guess if I leave Columbus hungry I did something wrong! Some of us Gters did get together for dinner last year-- forgot the name but, it was fun Mexican place -- met some new folks and had a wonderful time too. Looking foward to trying another get together again this year.

This year we need a restaurant we don't have to scream to be heard!

Guest bigorangedog

Is the conference actually on the OSU campus itself?

Wondering if it is possible to do this w/o renting a car. Any hotels/restaurants within walking distance of the campus, or wherever the actual conference sessions are held?

Thanks for all the info, Jane!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Yes, it is actually on the OSU campus. Actually it's at the Veterinary Medical Center and the adjacent Academic Building.

I would reccomend renting a car. The closest hotel is at least a mile and reseraunts aren't close either.

Guest mcsheltie

Wondering if it is possible to do this w/o renting a car. Any hotels/restaurants within walking distance of the campus, or wherever the actual conference sessions are held?

I would be glad to pick you up at the airport and chauffeur you around. But I do stay at cheapo motels :lol

The conference is held right on campus-- in the lecture hall.

There are a few hotels that ate pretty close to the hospital but, I'm sure if you need a ride back and forth it could be arranged!

Edited to add -- there's a bunch of us staying at the Varsity Inn North-- glad to help.

Also, Julie-- I'm with you-- would love to find a place that we could actually be able to converse w/o hollering across the tabel!!!!

Edited by tbhounds

Maybe we should start a list of who is coming, where you are from, when you are arriving, how you are arriving (driving or flying), and where you are staying.

What did the folks do last year who flew in? I would say just copy and paste to keep adding to the list

Conference Motel Information

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Arriving Thursday May 5 by car

Staying at Varsity Inn North

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest bigorangedog

Great! Thanks for the info. I just registered for it. The only reason I would not make it is if my husband happens to be in China on May 7th picking up our new daughter. Which actually is possible. :lol

Conference Motel Information

Cora Marro (Tennessee)

Arriving Thursday May 5 by car

Staying at Varsity Inn North

Jen Komatsu (bigorangedog from Minnesota)

Fly in Friday May 6

Varsity Inn North

Edited by bigorangedog