Getting Tired Of Her Kibble?

Beth has always been an enthusiastic, non-picky eater -- a member of the "clean plate club" (though I vaguely remember that she was something of a reluctant eater at the adoption kennel). I always feed her plain kibble in the morning, kibble with mix-ins like mackerel or tripe in the evening (or sometimes raw). She has been on TOTW Pacific Stream for about a year and a half -- after a lot of searching it was what finally worked well for her in the poop department. The second best kibble we tried was another fish-only one, Pro Plan Selects Salmon. She is clearly a sensitive-tummy girl.

In the past couple of days, Beth seems to have lost interest in eating her kibble when it's plain -- most of the time, anyway. Monday morning she wouldn't eat, and I thought she was having GI issues, as the only time ever she didn't eat before led to her vomiting and being sick for a few days. So I fasted her for a day and started her on a course of Flagyl as my vet recommends, and got some cans of I/D. But she seemed to feel fine and had normal poop. (And no, it can't be a dental issue; her teeth are perfect -- even my vet, whom I took her to for a check Tuesday, said so, and he found nothing else wrong with her on examination.)

So this week, she has continued to mostly (not always) sniff her kibble and walk away, sometimes looking at me with what I imagine as a "that all ya got?" look on her face. But she eats I/D eagerly and kibble when there's I/D or something else mixed in, and sometimes once she's eaten she'll eat some more kibble plain. But she's just not going for it the way she always did. I even opened a new bag to see if having fresher stuff made a difference, but it didn't.

It really feels like she isn't sick but has just all of a sudden decided she doesn't much like it. I know it's not unheard of for a dog to get tired of a flavor, but how common is it? Does this sound like that to you?

I hate the thought of having to change kibbles, when TOTW Pacific Stream has worked so well ... I'm going to try TOTW High Prairie first, as I know people here and greyhound friends not on GT who feed it with success, but the ingredient list has always sounded like the road to D to me. If that doesn't work, oy, it's going to be a pain. I guess I'd know at least if adding in a new flavor perks up her interest in plain kibble again.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest mcsheltie

That can be a slippery slope. Once you start catering to some dogs (I am talking about healthy ones) they can quickly get you over a barrel.

Me, if I was fairly certain there wasn't a health issue starting, I would practice tough love. Eat what I give you or you don't eat.

If you're not certain, have a quick in-house chem panel done.

Anne,

My Allie do this sometimes. What I do is get some parm cheese. (canned) and put a few sprinkles on her food in the morning. I only do this is she will not eat. She eats it right up. She will do this for about a week then back to eating regular. Good luck

Hugs to Beth. :bighug

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest sweetpea

Oy, welcome to my world.

Unfortunately Sweetpea has ALWAYS been ambivalent about food, and she has a super-sensitive gut,

so it's been hard for me to tell if she's being fussy or being sickly.

What I have found, is that a splash of warm water mixed with kibble brings up the smell of it a bit more, which

appeals to her a bit more. It's an easy fix to try.

Good luck!

Buzzy and da fuss-budget Sweetpea

Edited by sweetpea

She always gets (cold) water in it. I've been trying it dry as a variant -- and that way if she doesn't eat it, it doesn't get ruined! The warm is worth a try -- as is the cheese. Though yogurt definitely works too. Cully, it's interesting to hear that Allie goes through phases of this and then goes back to normal.

OK - since you started the thread.....I was afraid to bring it up. We have loved the results from TOTW until a month ago.

Rocket started having runny poop on TOTW High Prairie a little over a month ago. After switching bags, trying different lot codes etc, we switched to the lamb based food which is lower calorie and he firmed right up - for about a week. Then back to liquid poop. We did a round of fasting, Flagyl, Hamburger and Rice, and when he fimed back up we went back to the lamb, figuring we switched him too fast. It was a no go. He also can't tolerate the Salmon based foods, so that is out.

Tonight, he has eaten a small amount of scrambled eggs and rice after a 24 hour fast, and today during his fast, (sorry to be graphic) he pooped a huge bloody mass of gelatin like substance (vet says this is irritated stomach lining.) He was absolutley disinterested in his food the past few days, so I know the look you are speaking of - (IF it's so good, you eat it....that look)

I started Googling, and found that TOTW made a change to the High Prairie last year. Some people reported issues in July, others in December, and I'm speculating that the change was phased in over time at each plant, accounting for the spike in reports in those 2 months. The change apparently involves more Venison and less Bison in the food due to availability issues. I found most of this info an another forum, but don't have it handy to reference for this post.

Tomorrow I am picking up some I/D food at the vet as long as there is no problem with the eggs and rice. She wanted me to try a scrambled egg and rice before buying the food. He is back on 2 weeks of Flagyl also.

We will be searching for a new food once he gats back on track. He has been perfect on TOTW until the past month, and I have a feeling that there has been some ingredient change that he just can't tolerate. As enthusiastic as he was on this food , I think Beth is probably on to something. His enthusiasm stopped - and this boy never met food he didn't like.

Also, there has been no rhyme or reason to the timing - new bag, 2 weeks into a bag - didn't matter. We even tried multiple bags with different lot codes triyng to rule out a bad bag or spoilage. This is the third or fourth time that we've had to change foods where we've found info about a formula change that coincided with stomach issues. We can't really do raw right now, but it sure is tempting.

Hope Beth feels better and gets her appetite back.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest PiagetsMom

Anne, I periodically go through this with Piaget. She's always been my pickier eater, even though she apparently has a cast iron stomach. I have Mirage on the Pacific Stream because he does have a sensitive stomach, and I've always tried to feed the pups the same food for convenience sake.

I don't know if you remember, but a couple of months back I had a thread about her turning down her TOTW Pacific Stream - however, it seemed to depend on the particular bag. After months of hit and miss eating, I switched her over to the High Prairie, and she's eaten like a trooper since. It was an easy fix, and really not that big of deal to have them on different foods......it's worth it to have her be excited about meals again.

I know there are two schools of thought about add ins - I found that the more I tried to entice her with add ins, the less she ate her kibble. She would literally lick off or pick out the add ins and leave the kibble, and I felt like I was creating a monster! So, I became a member of the "straight kibble" camp. I do add warm water to her kibble (I've been told that a little water added helps to release the aroma of the kibble) and let if sit until there's a nice gravy, but other than that, nothing with her meals.

Good luck - I know we always worry when there is food issues!

Welcome to my world also. :lol

How old is she? For whatever reason every female greyhound we have had has gotten really picky as they age, usually between 9 & 10. The males haven't just the girlies. Lucy is 12 1/2 and for a couple of years or so she will have meals she eats with no issue and meals she won't. When she isn't wanting to eat I do try to "jump start" her with some sprinkled parmesan cheese, a few sprinkles of grated colby/jack or some crumbles of whatever I have at the time. Once she starts, she will usually eat most or all of her food.

Of course if your girl is a youngster then ignore me. :lol

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Beth is on the Pacific Stream though, and this issue started about 3/4 way through a bag, so I'm really not thinking it's an issue with the food.

No problem, just wanted to put it out there as a possibility. Our first problem with the High Prairie started when we were more than halfway through a 30 lb bag, which is stored in a sealed, airtight container. He had been on TOTW for quite a while and we beleive that it is a great food. I've lost track, but I think we've used it for at least a year, and never had an issue until a month ago. After all the stool / urine samples, blood work etc, it seems to be coming down to the food for us.

We have noticed that the High Prairie and the Lamb based kibble is darker and appears oilier than it used to, so even if an ingredient didn't change, it's possible that one of their processes did, or it's just the batch to batch variation where they use a coating to make up fat or other content that is an issue for Rocket - not sure.

Hope it's an easy fix for you and Beth.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Anne, I periodically go through this with Piaget. She's always been my pickier eater, even though she apparently has a cast iron stomach. I have Mirage on the Pacific Stream because he does have a sensitive stomach, and I've always tried to feed the pups the same food for convenience sake.

I don't know if you remember, but a couple of months back I had a thread about her turning down her TOTW Pacific Stream - however, it seemed to depend on the particular bag. After months of hit and miss eating, I switched her over to the High Prairie, and she's eaten like a trooper since. It was an easy fix, and really not that big of deal to have them on different foods......it's worth it to have her be excited about meals again.

I know there are two schools of thought about add ins - I found that the more I tried to entice her with add ins, the less she ate her kibble. She would literally lick off or pick out the add ins and leave the kibble, and I felt like I was creating a monster! So, I became a member of the "straight kibble" camp. I do add warm water to her kibble (I've been told that a little water added helps to release the aroma of the kibble) and let if sit until there's a nice gravy, but other than that, nothing with her meals.

Good luck - I know we always worry when there is food issues!

Good to know of a dog who made the Pacific Stream to High Prairie switch successfully. It's looking like that's what I'm going to try.

Here's this morning's report on what my best friend calls the Canine Enigma: :rolleyes:

--I served her the kibble with some low-sodium chicken broth mixed in instead of water -- she ate some, but didn't look very enthusiastic, and quit partway through.

--Then I sprinkled some Parmesan cheese, Cully's suggestion, on top of the rest, and oh boy! She liked it then and finished everything.

--I realized I had some little sample bags of the new TOTW lamb formula on hand (wish I could switch to the lamb but they don't sell it at Tractor Supply :angry:). I put a very small amount of that, just plain, in her bowl as an experiment, and she hoovered it down eagerly and looked to me for more. So that seems like more evidence that she just really wants a new flavor. Sigh.

Welcome to my world also. :lol

How old is she? For whatever reason every female greyhound we have had has gotten really picky as they age, usually between 9 & 10. The males haven't just the girlies. Lucy is 12 1/2 and for a couple of years or so she will have meals she eats with no issue and meals she won't. When she isn't wanting to eat I do try to "jump start" her with some sprinkled parmesan cheese, a few sprinkles of grated colby/jack or some crumbles of whatever I have at the time. Once she starts, she will usually eat most or all of her food.

Beth's just 4 and quite active, so she has no excuse! ;) But it's an interesting observation. Maybe she's just mature for her age. :P

This is the behavior that sends owners into a tizzy trying to get their pups to eat, so they try adding all kinds of things, switching meals, switching food etc. If you're dealing with a healthy dog, don't worry about it. Your dogs greatest instinct is survival and to survive it has to eat. They are smart enough to know this. If mine don't eat for a day or two, no problem, I guarantee you on the 3rd day they will eat. I've had several do this. Once you start switching food, adding really good stuff to their kibble, you're creating a picky eater. Now dealing with an ill dog is something else, but for perfectly healthy dogs, your dog will eat when it gets good and hungry.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

This is the behavior that sends owners into a tizzy trying to get their pups to eat, so they try adding all kinds of things, switching meals, switching food etc. If you're dealing with a healthy dog, don't worry about it. Your dogs greatest instinct is survival and to survive it has to eat. They are smart enough to know this. If mine don't eat for a day or two, no problem, I guarantee you on the 3rd day they will eat. I've had several do this. Once you start switching food, adding really good stuff to their kibble, you're creating a picky eater. Now dealing with an ill dog is something else, but for perfectly healthy dogs, your dog will eat when it gets good and hungry.

I see your point, but on the other hand, if she really doesn't like that food anymore, I don't see why I'd force her to keep eating that or nothing forever, if she'd eat another food with more enjoyment.

I see your point, but on the other hand, if she really doesn't like that food anymore, I don't see why I'd force her to keep eating that or nothing forever, if she'd eat another food with more enjoyment.

I used to think like that also until I realized dogs will eat anything if they're hungry. Heck, they will even eat poop. When they were racing, they got fed the same thing every day. It's routine. We as humans try and humanize our dogs so to speak. I've heard people say, I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day, well yes, you're a human, these are dogs we're talking about. I couldn't even try and imagine trying to feed my pack if I had to feed everyone something different because they liked something else better. I'd be running a restaurant. Myself, I'd rather keep them on their routine than to mess with things and have a dog that constantly has the runs from all the food changes and the stomach upset that can come with changing things all the time. That's just my personal opinion though.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PiagetsMom

I used to think like that also until I realized dogs will eat anything if they're hungry. Heck, they will even eat poop. When they were racing, they got fed the same thing every day. It's routine. We as humans try and humanize our dogs so to speak. I've heard people say, I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day, well yes, you're a human, these are dogs we're talking about. I couldn't even try and imagine trying to feed my pack if I had to feed everyone something different because they liked something else better. I'd be running a restaurant. Myself, I'd rather keep them on their routine than to mess with things and have a dog that constantly has the runs from all the food changes and the stomach upset that can come with changing things all the time. That's just my personal opinion though.

In most situations, with a healthy dog, I would agree with you Judy. I'm pretty stubborn about the food issue - I don't like to make a change unless I feel I really have to. It's hard for me to do, but I put the food down at mealtime, and if she doesn't eat, she's done until dinner.......no dinner, we start over with breakfast the next day. We went though months of really spotty eating, and yes, at some point Piaget would eat, but she was losing weight, and she doesn't carry a lot of spare weight to lose. We cleaned teeth, thinking maybe it was a tooth issue - no change.

So, remembering that we'd originally started on the High Prairie and she'd eaten well (we changed to the Pacific Stream because Mirage's stomach couldn't handle the High Prarie and Piaget seemed fine with that for quite a while), I decided to go back to what I knew she'd be happy with. I'm glad I did, but I do see your point, especially with as many pups as you have. LIke you, I don't really concern myself with feeling as though they need a variety in their diet.

I'm pretty much in the camp with mcsheltie and JillysFullHouse. I put the food down and they either eat it or don't. When I have a single dog in the house I have no problems with free feeding, but normally there are 2 hounds and scheduled feeding is the norm. Anything not eaten when the dog has walked away from it is picked up.

Over the yrs I've sort of ran the gamut of various high end foods and add ins and raw and found that overall my dogs stayed happy and healthy no matter what/how I fed them. I settled on a 'middle of the road' kibble and that is what they get.

Well Beth ate her regular food tonight, reasonably readily. I did wait until 7:00 to feed her, so she may have been extra hungry.

I think I'm going to take her back to the vet tomorrow or Monday and get a CBC and whatever else, though. Her poop quality has been gradually declining through the week -- they're big and increasingly soft, though not frequent/urgent or whatever. And she'd dropped some weight rather rapidly as of last Monday. I don't want to assume this is a food issue if she's developing IBD or something.

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest sirsmom

Beth took a long time on TOTW to turn her nose up at it. Our girl was done with it in a week no matter what add-ins I tried. After a long ride on the dog food roller coaster we're on Pro Plan and everyone is happy. No guilt; we give our goodies, too. Either the Selects or lesser amounts of the Performance works really well here.

Beth had gurgly tummy and gas during the night, though to my surprise her poop this morning, while on the soft side, wasn't bad. I took her to the vet this morning (my regular vet is on vacation, oy, but I really liked the fill-in vet) -- I'm back to thinking as I did the first day that her going off the kibble is a sign of GI illness, not pickiness. Her weight is perfect today (59 lbs.) and there's no tenderness in the stomach, she's active etc. The new vet suggested a conservative approach of continuing the Flagyl, feeding her just I/D until about midweek then slowly adding her kibble back in -- plus adding a new probiotic/prebiotic they've been having very good luck with (better, they said, than with Fortiflora), Proviable, since the gradually softer poop may be from the Flagyl. That sounded reasonable to me to try -- I don't want to rush into more meds if she can turn around without them, as the vet seemed to think was likely.

Meanwhile she has been sort of coughing a number of times this morning ... can that be a sign of nausea? Or does she have kennel cough (too?) -- I found some videos of that and this cough sounds the same way. :(

SIGH. And of course now the vet isn't open until Monday for regular hours. But if she's eating I/D, not losing weight, and doing full-out zoomies, nothing of this can be too serious, right?

Edited by PrairieProf

My Peggy can be like sometimes and definitely will not tolerate a kibble with lamb in it (even a hypoallergenic one) and does better on a premium Turkey & Rice mix. She's OK on regular Greyhound maintenance food too but then there is too much poop to pick up and I don't like the list of 'crud' in the recipe.

What I think causes a lot of these problems is wild garden birds getting in any outdoors water. I changed the routine last summer so the birds couldn't get it and the poop issues became a lot better. Now in the winter when it is freezing I gave the birds their own bowl up out of dog reach and put out fresh water for the dog every morning. (She doesn't like indoor water much even though it's the same!) I worm regularly with Milbemax too and I'm sure there is some poop improvement after. Some dogs just have more irritable guts than others.

Guest Swifthounds

That can be a slippery slope. Once you start catering to some dogs (I am talking about healthy ones) they can quickly get you over a barrel.

Me, if I was fairly certain there wasn't a health issue starting, I would practice tough love. Eat what I give you or you don't eat.

If you're not certain, have a quick in-house chem panel done.

:nod Very good advice.

If she's coughing just a little, more likely dry air or a kibble crumb caught in her throat. In any case, unless dog becomes quite ill (develops secondary infection), not much to do about kennel cough except ride it out. If she starts coughing more -- upon any exertion, for example -- vet can give cough suppressant to make your lives easier until it's gone. Fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Batmom. No more coughing after I posted, so I guess it was just a passing throat irritation.

She certainly seems A-OK today -- no rumblies or gas, and hoovering down the I/D like crazy. I'm going to follow the protocol the vet suggested, but I'm back to wondering if it isn't just a food issue, and the tummy symptoms of the night before were from the little bit of lamb kibble. Well, time will tell!