Need New Diet

Guest shayla

Haji our 12 yo male has the beginnings of renal failure. Anybody have a diet directed at this problem? He has a great appetite and I've been feeding him 3 times a day and he continues to loose weight.

Do a phone consult with Dr Remaillard at Angel Memorial in Boston - she is a nutritionist. She can put together a "kidney diet".

I've used her for a few different diets (regular, kidney, cancer) - one of mine is currently on a "limited protein" diet due to kidney issues.

this might be old school, but my scottie who had addison's disease and who kidneys were not functioning well,(his urine was practically distilled water at one point) especially as he aged lived on RICE! plain old white rice or pasta, mostly rice. most of the world exists on it, if you are really concerned a multi-vit will suppliment his nutritional needs. i save a ton of $$$ not using a special diet and he out lived most addisonians....died at 12.5.

• 1 month later...

My littly guy who is only 4.5 years old showed signs of kidney damage on an ultrasound today. I'm considering a consult with a canine nutritionist. Will let you know if I discover anything life changing! Good luck to you and your boy.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest 2dogs4cats

I think there is another reason he is losing weight. If he is eating an appropriate amount of food each day, renal disease doesn't make you lose weight. A renal diet will not help him gain weight, it may make him lose more if you do low protein. I would figure out first why he is losing weight. Pups with kidney disease lose weight only because they lose their appetite and refuse to eat.