Eating Too Fast

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

Hi, all. Italy seems to be eating her food super fast lately. This morning she actually threw up a big chunk and ate it again. What are some tips here?

I am sure you will get many suggestions, i think there was a thread recently about this....

Personally I find adding water slows them down a lot, i have heard that placing some large palstic bowls in teh dish works well since they have to push them around to get to the food. the do make special bowls for that too, think they are called "braek fast bowls".

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I find this very common with track dogs... the track dogs I know eat kibble mixed with meat and water. I add some canned and water to the kibble and mix it and they seem to do very well.

I add water to her kibble but if she was a true food bolter, I would get one of those special dishes that are made for slowing them down. Luckily, she doesn't truly bolt her food. I think every dog in the world has probably, at one time or another, tossed their food and then eaten it again. Sure saves you having to clean it up! :lol

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest caelanarcher

With Aaron, we cured this by taking a tin of canned salmon and putting that in the middle of the bowl. Way cheaper than buying a custom bowl. When we're in Pennsylvania (and don't take his food bowls along), we usually just spread the food out on a big tray. That way he can't just bury his face in it and inhale. Adding water never worked for us.

Guest KsFrets

We bought Magnus a Break-Fast bowl 3 years ago. It works as advertised, and he still uses it for every meal. It reduced his ability to inhale 2 cups of dry dog food in 15 seconds, to about 3 minutes.

Edited by KsFrets

I add warm water and let the kibble soak a little bit and put a raquetball in the middle of it. It has helped A LOT and was way cheaper than buying one of the slow eating bowls.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest d0ggiem0mma

A couple of my dogs had the same problem. We bought a couple of the obstacle bowls and they are working very well!! There are several different brands of the same idea. PetCo has a house brand one called a "Slow Down Feeder Bowl," PetSmart has the Martha Stewart brand one (we have this one,) and some stores have the Contech brand "Eat Better Bowl" (which is the other one we have.) I tried a metal one that only had 1 big lump in the middle as an obstacle, but that proved too easy for my Joey to eat around, as did just putting a kong or can in the middle of the bowl.

Guest goofydog

Low tech cheap way is to spread her meal on a cookie tray that has sides. Will definitely slow her down. Or you can use a kong instead of a bowl.

Heidi is my gobbler. We've recently started adding water to her food. That has slowed her down a lot. It has also helped with her coughing them back up from eating too fast. We do this when she is eating from a regular bowl.

Before adding water I had started feeding her in a muffin tin. Just seperate the food into the different muffin pockets. That slowed her down a lot too.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Profgumby

Beauty just pushed the obstacles around or out of the bowl. We ended up getting her a slow feed bowl that has 4 wings that jut out from the sides and it slows her down quite nicely. She still eats much faster than PatC but she no longer re-feeds part of her meals.

Also, they get pumpkin and yogurt once each day (one in the am feeding, the other in the pm feeding) and both girls wipe out the tasty stuff first, then on to the kibble. I find Beauty eats a lot slower when I pour any yogurt whey that has collected onto her dry food before putting the added food in....I think I will also wet her food and see if that slows her up a bit.

Guest Profgumby

I went to edit my last post but it is too late...so I am adding this -

We have been wetting Beauties kibble and she no longer has to hack up a few pieces of kibble like a small frag grenade....but it does not slow her down a bit...