Interpreting Lab Results

Bandit, age 13, saw the vet recently. My main concern was a lump on his leg but vet says it isn't osteo. I know it could be other cancers or benign growths and we're to see if it gets any larger.

He's in pretty good shape for an old fella, good appetite, firm poop (except for yesterday).

A basic blood panel was run, mostly due to his age. Most things are in the normal range. Below are what's out of range.

I was delighted to see Idexx report: "Please note: normal reference range for greyhounds (not italian greyhounds) in the platelet, WBC and PCV.

LOW

Albumin 2.1 (2.5-4.0)

Total protein 4.8 (5.1-7.8)

HIGH

BUN 35 (7-27)

Creatinine 2.2 (0.4-1.8)

Vet phoned me with the abnormal results and had me bring in a urine sample. I have a printout of the test of the blood test. Don't know if they are sending out the urine test or doing it in-house.

Is there anything alarming in these results?

Editing to add:

I checked his bloodwork from January 2010:

BUN normal 23

Creatinine normal 1.4

Albumin normal 2.8

Total protein normal 5.2

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

FWIW: I just had bloodwork run on DesiRay because I was concerned about his kidneys. His numbers were normal (can't remember what,

don't have them with me); but they did tell me that if he was having renal issues, the Bun & Creat would both be elevated.

Can't help with the others.

Wishing Bandit the best!

Kathy & DesiRay

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Those don't look really outrageous to me, especially for his age. His kidneys are older. If you had him fasting, he could have been a slight dehydrated which would have have altered the kidney results. His Albumin and TP aren't alarmingly low either and I'm not sure I think they'd have been lowered that little bit by fasting. Checking the urine is a good idea and perhaps having those four tests redone in 6 months too. If he's beginning some sort of digestive malabsorption, finding it sooner over later is a good thing.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Energy11

The results don't look that bad to me, either. I did send a copy to Dr. B., and I will let you know what he thinks :-))

As they get older, you can expect some minor abnormalities, just like with we humans.

Hugs to Bandit!

Thanks ya'll. He wasn't fasting. Depending on the urinalysis I'd rather repeat the tests in a few months. It is a change from Jan 2010 though.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I should have such good blood work! Granted the renal values are creeping up but, he is 13 !! Also his protein values are a touch low but, GH's run on the lower side. I'm sure your vet is running a u/a to see what the specfic gravity is-- that means how concentrated the kidneys are making the urine-- would love to see it above 1.030. Was the urine sample you submitted the first voided urine of the morning??--- that would be the most accurate.

I should have such good blood work! Granted the renal values are creeping up but, he is 13 !! Also his protein values are a touch low but, GH's run on the lower side. I'm sure your vet is running a u/a to see what the specfic gravity is-- that means how concentrated the kidneys are making the urine-- would love to see it above 1.030. Was the urine sample you submitted the first voided urine of the morning??--- that would be the most accurate.

Oops, no. It was taken midday when I got home from work.

Urinalysis in a greyhound - the values are the same as regular dogs, yes?

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Is he on any NSAIDs? They will affect kidneys adversely many times.

If he's having a "stiff" day I'll give him 1/2 a Rimadyl and that might only be once a week. Otherwise he's on Fresh Factors.

Still waiting to hear on the urinalysis results.

tiny hada siggy.png