Found A Good Tail Dressing

I found a very simple but effective way of protecting the fragile tip of the tail stump after amputation (Mafi is 2 weeks out from surgery - I'd expect that more protection would be needed immediately post-op).

In the baby section at Target, I bought a packet of 8 little cotton mittens (the ones used to protect newborns from scratching themselves). They have an elastic band and are not at all bulky. The mitten easily fits over the tip of the tail, and then I use 2" vet wrap to cover about 4" up from the tip. It's light, not bulky, and just enough to keep her from getting to the healing wound.

I'd like to leave it uncovered, but Mafi starts gnawing and licking the wound, and I want to be sure it's completely healed before letting her at it.

Still haven't gotten biopsy results. Will have to call my vet this week.

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

What a great tip to keep in mind. You never know when something like this will be needed. I also use baby & toddler socks for various wounds. They are just the right size and help tremendously. Hoping for good news when you get the biopsy result! Heal soon Mafi!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

That sounds like a great idea! I used 12-18 month old toddler socks on Peggy's tail last year, never thought about the tiny little baby ones! I needed to use human micropore dressing tape around the tail and then vet wrap to hold the sock onto that. On its own it just got flicked off and if the dew got on the sock then that was the end of it so dry weather runs only.

Peggy lost the bottom 4" of her tail, including her cute little white tip, and took 8 weeks to fully recovered due to an infection that only got sorted out after they cultured the bugs and got the correct antibiotic. Every 3 days for the first month she went to the vet to have the tail dressing changed and the tail splint put back.

I hope you get satisfactory results back from the biopsy soon.

To give you a better idea, this is the dressing - vet wrap, with the mitten under it. I found I didn't need to use tape to hold the bandage on. I used the fabric tape initially, but Elastikon is a better choice -- more secure and easier to remove.

tail002.jpg

Here's the bitty mitten. At Target they were selling 8 for around $3-4.

tail005.jpg

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg