Strange Behavior When Wearing A Coat

Guest charlech

Guest charlech

When it get cold I put a coat on my grey. He doesn't seem to mind but he hunches his back like a cat and then prances sideways really fast until he runs into me. Do you have any idea what could cause this?

Could be it just feels weird to him. If it's fleece, it could be the static electricity that they sometimes get.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Most greys aren't used to wearing coats, so when they get put on them it feels weird. Fleece also builds up static very fast, and that doesn't feel good! One of mine also won't go potty when he's wearing a coat, so, unless we are going to be out for a long time, he doesn't wear one.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest zombrie

Doolin did this at first. After a couple weeks he was fine with it. Every now and then he gets goosey when it's on and does what we call the Doolin Dance.

Edited by zombrie

None of mine are crazy about their coats...except for Lizzie who loves hers. Unless we're going to be outside for a while or going to the park, I don't bother putting them on.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest Hoolyghans

We call that butt whompin'

Abba loooooves her pretty pink coat. We say "Want your pretty pink coat?" and she practically wiggles herself inside out until we get it on. Don't get in her way after that though...WHOMP.

She's done that with several styles of coat, her current one has a soft berber type lining in it and doesn't get staticky like fleece coats do. I'm as certain as I can be that she likes and wants to wear the coat. #1 she's a Diva dog. #2 Very thin coat #3 when it's really cold and she needs to go out, if we don't offer the coat she'll walk over to it (hanging on a hook) and nudge at it.

Guest Shermanator

Sherman and Patton refused to wear their coats or jammies. They'd stare at me like, "Moooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, are you serious!? All my friends will laugh at me." :) They refused to walk with them on, they'd simply statue.

The girls don't mind their coats. They are not amused with the static electricity, so I am quickly working on knitted coats for them. :)

Two of my girls love their coats and jammies (I like my house very cool at night). My third girl prefers to not wear the coat, but like the jammies. I try to accommodate her but sometimes it is just too cold (yesterday it was 2 degrees in the morning) I will make her wear it and then she does the butt whompin and when she gets back in the house will stand and stare at me until I take it off.

june

Guest jettcricket

I laughed when I read your description cause I've had a couple of fosters that did what you described. I'm thinking there just not used to it.

Beth often rubs her side along people, trees, fences, etc. when she's wearing her coat. The butt-whomping while I'm walking her can be a little annoying, though it's also sort of a play thing. Something about how the coat feels, it seems -- but I don't think the coat bothers her in a really serious way. And in Iowa winter temps, I'm not giving her the coatless option!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

My grey wears his jams and coat with no issue,, of coarse he is perfect :lol the "hunters" hate and ,I mean hate, to wear their's,, and you would think they would be used to it as they wear orange vests when out in the fields,,, if DH gets out the orange vests,,, they dance and bounce,,, anything else, such as jams which I put one them this time of year at bedtime,,, you would think I beat them with a stick :lol

He probably doesn't like the way it feels. I don't know where you live, but maybe he doesn't need a coat. Neither of my hounds needs one. My current hound gets cold sometimes, but only if he's standing still outside. If we keep walking, it doesn't seem to bother him.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest happygrey

Bentley does this too! Although he freezes without it, he just doesn't like his coat. He also often won't go to the bathroom in his coat. :rolleyes::rolleyes: So we have to let him out in the yard coatless to use the facilities before & after coated walks. He can be a lot of work. :lol :lol It's a good thing he's cute.

Guest TBSFlame

Memnmie hates a coat. Unless I am going to be out for a long period of time I don't make her wear one. We do the Renaissance festival and she must wear a coat there when it's cold. I have to be very careful b/c she will knock a patron off their feet. She does love her jammies. She will come to me waggin that tail to have her pj's put on.

Guest NYChound

So funny -- I thought our boy was the only one who did this! He seems very happy and excited when he's doing it, so I don't think it's a matter of not liking the coat. Just another greyhound quirk? It's a riot - unless he whomps into you when he's doing it!

Guest twhitehouse

I always called it butt slamming but I like whomping better! :lol

Lexi has almost blown out my knees before she slams (or whomps) me so hard!