Protecting Healing Tail Stump

Mafi is one week out from tail amputation. The wound is healing very well. I've kept it wrapped for the past week, but thought it could probably go uncovered at this point. However, the second I removed the bandage, she was licking at it as if it were a Tootsie Pop. :huh I immediately re-wrapped it, but since I'd like Mafi to have a bare tail again, I'm looking for a less bulky way of keeping the wound covered, and also suggestions for keeping her mouth off it. I was actually thinking of a finger cot (a small latex finger covering), but don't want to risk her ingesting latex if she decimates the finger cot.

Any tried-and-true ideas?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

old fashioned hair curler?

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

istockphoto_5604342-hair-curlers.jpg

NO clue how to "attach" but I would imagine the same way as the TP tube?

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

It takes tails a long time to heal. I'd keep it covered a bit longer. When Valentino had his tail amputated, the vet kept it wrapped for 2 weeks if I remember right.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sorry ... tp holder is the tried & true method in this house ... One vet used a wide diameter syringe that had been aerated (drilled holes) ... nice idea, but I couldn't replace.

I tried the fingertip bandage route, but it was too hard to get the tail into the bandage, and then I worried about the wound being able to breathe & heal.

good luck! watch for infection, too --- Riley's tail amputation is where we learned that he does not respond to one particular antibiotic, and he got really really sick (and almost required a 2nd amputation) to deal with the infection that occurred.

We used 1/4 inch pipe insulation for Idol's happy tail injury. We kept it on (checked the wound periodically) for 6 weeks.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Ask your vet for an extra large barrel syringe (large enough to slip over the tail) and cut off the tip where the needle goes. If necessary, you can also slit it up the side to make putting it on easier. Clean the wound as you normally would, then apply neosporin and a loose gauze wrap. Secure with as little tape as will hold. Then slip the syringe over the gauze. Secure the syringe with Elastikon vet tape followed by regular vet wrap. Start wrapping the elastikon and vet wrap several inches down the tail to create a secure anchor for the syringe. You can take the vet wrap all the way over the syringe. As long as there's no seeping or bleed through you can leave this on for several days.

The syringe should be loose enough to allow for air circulation, and it will help protect the wound from getting banged around. If for some reason she keeps shaking it off or it won't stay on, you may have to tape/secure her tail to her hind leg. She will hate it, but she won't be able to get at it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly