Questions About Osu Ghwp Membership

Guest caelanarcher

Guest caelanarcher

While we're waiting for some more test results to come back, I've been looking into the OSU greyhound cancer program. On the membership page, it lists the following benefits:

Your membership will entitle you to:

Access to all the current information on Greyhound Health and Medicine, frequently asked questions, and sources for the Greyhound community.

Downloading all the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program (GHWP) Research publications.

Downloading and receiving the GHWP quarterly newsletter.

Access to the GHWP memorial Website.

Access to the online consultation service.

Receive injectable chemotherapy at no cost for cancer patients.

Does that last point require you to travel to their campus in Ohio? Would a veterinarian with a membership receive the medications? If this turns out to be lymphoma, I plan on joining anyway for the publications and knowledge base, but I'm wondering if anyone has used the chemotherapy drugs provided by the membership.

When we received Jamey's chemo drugs (Jun 2009, before the membership requirements) they sent them to us here in Canada. We did not have to go to Ohio to pick them up.

The chemo drugs worked well on Jamey's osteosarcoma he's currently a 19 month survivor.

Good luck!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Our Callie broke her leg last night and it's probably osteo. Our vet called OSU and was told that the main drug they use is backordered, so they are using an alternate for their patients.

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Just to confirm:

You do NOT need to be a member of the website to receive free chemo from OSU. You and your vet can get free phone / email consults without being a member. The membership is primarily for fund raising to support this valuable program. If you can afford to become a member, please do so.

Typically, OSU will ship the chemo drugs to your vet at no charge. They currently are out of doxorubicin and have had a back order on the books for quite some time. This is the drug that they will provide free of charge for treatment of osteosarcoma. So until they receive enough to treat their in-canine patients they will not be able to ship this to other vets.

Please note that not all chemo drugs are available at no charge. When your vet contacts OSU, they will be able to recommend a treatment plan and will tell them what (if any) drugs they have available to ship.

I do not know what chemo drugs they recommend for lymphoma.

You still have to pay to have the drugs administered and all of the associated blood work. This can often be more expensive than the drug itself.

If you are within driving distance to OSU, your dog might be eligible for a study (cutting edge treatment at reduced cost). However, you would need to bring your dog to OSU regularly.

I hope this info helps.

Jane

from OSU Buckeye country

edited to add OSU contact info:

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Joelle Fenger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Roberta Portela, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest caelanarcher

Thanks so much for the information, joejoesmom. We've spent over a thousand dollars just trying to get this stupid thing diagnosed, and it's come at the worst possible time; our rent is going up, my fiance is out of work, we're trying to plan a wedding, plus some costly car repairs. At this point, it would almost be a relief to have a lymphoma diagnosis; then we can start some targeted treatment, and from what I've read, lymphoma is one of the most manageable cancers. Plus, Aaron's relatively young, and very healthy. His bloodwork is completely normal, his organs are all fine. If these tests don't indicate something one way or another, they're going to have to biopsy one of the nodes. Ugh. It all just piles up. So stressed about this. :-(

When we received Jamey's chemo drugs (Jun 2009, before the membership requirements) they sent them to us here in Canada. We did not have to go to Ohio to pick them up.

The chemo drugs worked well on Jamey's osteosarcoma he's currently a 19 month survivor.

Good luck!

That is wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg