Considering Going Raw

I am seriously thinking about switching Ruby to a raw diet instead of her kibble. She is currently on Blue Buffalo salmon and is doing ok but has some gas even with the addition of yogurt and pumpkin. This is her 3rd food in 7 mos. I have been reading about the benefits and it looks like a good way to go. Since I am new here, I wasn't able to figure out how to do the search and I am sure that somewhere on this board there are instructions for how to start this process. I need to know what foods are important? supplements? etc.. I know my girl is allergic to beef so that is out. Can someone give me the basics or how to get the search to work? Is there a good book you recommend?

Thank you again for all your help.

Karen

Guest Lovey_Hounds

There is a big difference between raw beef and it being processed and put into dog kibble, they are fed beef on the farm and at the track.

There are a lot of pre prepared raw meals that you can buy, i use the raw chicken with bone ground in or beef and i add in organ meat and dried sea kelp for extra vitamins and minerals. I also add in sweet potato and other veggies (for fibre) and my guys like having kibble soaked in with their meat.

SwiftHounds is a good person to contact as she knows her raw.

This is the most comprehensive thread I have seen on the topic: From Greyhound9797

Welcome to Greytalk! You have enough above to get started.

We feed our boys raw - same deal - 3-4 foods over 8 months or so and we switched to raw and saw an immediate benefit. No gas, no indigestion, stool 1/3 - 1/2 the quantity of kibble, no soft stool, great coats, tons of energy. Absolutely no regrets about switching. Good luck!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest zombrie

I too am interested in switching Doolin to a raw diet. He has so many issues with runny poo and is super gassy. Some days he is good, other days he is not. What I want to know is, that I can't seem to find, how expensive is it to feed raw? Especially with a dog SO big.

ETA That is a great link, I will read through it all

Edited by zombrie

There are lots of threads here about raw (& lots of people who feed it greenwave.gif). You can't search greytalk for a 3 letter word ("raw diet" will bring up everything for "diet"), but if you scroll through this part of the forum you'll see them.

Mary Strauss' dogaware.com has a series of articles on raw diets as well as links to sources & suggestions for finding your own. The key to keeping costs down is buying in bulk. If you can find a co-op or some other meat vendor that sells to pet owners, that will help even more.

I've been feeding raw to my hounds & kittehs for 10 years. It's a little more work but well worth it.

And welcome to greytalk! welcome2.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thank you everyone for your help. I will check out the links and see what I can figure out. I like the thought of a healthier coat, no gas and smaller poops. Sounds like Ruby would love the change. I do occasionally feed her raw chicken pieces and she loves those creepy chicken feet! They still scare me when I open the freezer and see those nails poking up at me....ugh.

Karen