Of Crates & Dog Beds (And Baby Gates?)

Guest katethegreyt

Guest katethegreyt

So I'm getting ready to adopt my first greyhound, and I'm trying to research/shop for all the necessities.

Crates: I know not everybody uses them (and I plan to explore the option of not), but I feel like it might be a good idea to have one on hand at first since my place is hard to close off and I'll be doing kitty introductions = ) I'm going to see if it would be possible to borrow one from the adoption group, but I know they're often short on supplies.

- So what size is best? I've gathered "extra large" or "giant" but what are the actual dimensions of those?

- Wire or plastic? I know some like the openness of wire, while others prefer the safety of plastic.

- Any brands you've had good luck with?

- What sort of pad do you use in the crate?

- What kind of clip on water dish do you use?

Dog Beds: I'm planning to keep the new addition off the furniture for the time being (will probably allow it later once we know each other better because I do so love a sunggly pup), so I want there to be comfy alternatives available. I'd like to not spend a lot of $ at this point since I might end up needing a couple (bedroom and living room) and I may inadvertently pick out something the new grey doesn't prefer, haha. But I'd like there to be something in the house when he/she first comes home. Any preferred brands, type, sizes? I think a washable cover would be a big plus = )

Baby Gate: I have 2 kitties that I will need to keep separate for a bit. I don't have a lot of rooms that I can close off with doors (loft style place), so I'm going to need some relatively sturdy baby gates for now. Any suggestions on brands, sizes and places to get them?

Thanks for all the advice for the newbie = ) I'm just trying to get my place ready for the new addition!

*Also, real quick on the kitty situation - any tips on nighttime at first? Like I said, it's not an option to close the kitties in another room, so would you put the grey in a crate for the night for the first bit? Put up baby gates but not use the crate if the grey isn't showing a lot of interest? Keep a muzzle on plus baby gates and no crate? I would like to give the new grey the option to not sleep in the crate at night since he/she may need to spend a good deal of time in it during the day at first. I realize this will vary very much by individual, so I'm just looking for a starting point = )

Crates: 48" is best although, if it's a tiny girl 42" would be fine. I like the Midwest metal

crates. The plastic are great, but the 48" is close to $300, so I'd stick with metal. Plus the metal folds up for easy storage or travel options. At first, I don't like to put crates or beds in the crate, I like a couple layers of blankets and towels because if there is an accident, the blankets are easier to clean than beds. Plus you don't know if it's a nester or chewer and you can keep reusing a ripped blanket, but a ruined bed is a goner.

Beds: Costco and BJs have great, well priced dog beds. I also like Ocean State Job lot and similar places. You can also look on e-bay and other discount places online. As for what the dog likes, it depends on the dog, they will all have different preferences.

Baby gate: The cheap old school wood ones are cheap and work well. Plus, if you put them 6-8" off the ground, the cat can go under for a quick getaway while the dog can't. (That's what I'd do at night in the bedroom.) Since you have cats, I'd crate at first when you aren't home, because even muzzled, a hound can do serious damage to a cat. Most cats can jump over any gate you set up, so gating may not be the best option. You can also get an ex-pen and use that to block off larger areas for the hound. I definitely recommend muzzling when there's any chance the cat will be around until you know how your hound will interact.

For beds, I second Costco. Less than $20, super comfy, and has cedar mixed in with the fibers. Washable zip cover, which makes it perfect unless your hound chews zippers :rolleyes:. Some dogs are sensitive to cedar, so you'll have to watch for itchiness. Hopefully you have/use a Costco, otherwise this doesn't help :P. That's my only experience with beds though!

Assuming your adoption group did a good job evaluating the dog you get with cats, it should be a relatively quick period of YOU making sure they're all safe. I crated George at first--my group insisted--and he actually did fine at night sleeping right next to my bed. It was when I left that it became a wire box of torture to him...but many dogs do just fine in a crate.

Beware of lifting the baby gates too far off the ground; I was shocked to come home one day and find claw marks (dog) under my gate and the dog on the wrong side. he crawled UNDER the gate. Not to get the cats, to get to the door and howl some more!

For the first few days, George wore his muzzle any time he wasn't in the crate. Better safe than sorry when it comes to your cats!

I don't think Greyhounds are terribly fussy about beds. Although I second not using anything fancy in the crate. George absolutely destroyed a sheepskin rug from New Zealand I thought would be nice and comfy for him.

For water, I use something called a "coop cup." You can get crate water dishes in any catalog and I suppose most big pet stores. Don't fill the dish too full or it may get spilled!

The most important piece of equipment, in my opinion, is a Kong. I like the King Kong size. And some peanut butter! You'll need to give the hound something to occupy it while you slip off to work. Oh, and the Patricia McConnell booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon."

Start working on the alone training IMMEDIATELY. It's important to remember that while some dogs enjoy the security of a crate, the notion that "it's familiar" sort of goes out the window when you remember that while the dog may have lived in a crate at the track, there is a HUGE difference between being in a crate surrounded on all sides by other crated dogs, and being in a wire box in a strange place all alone...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest racergirl435
Start working on the alone training IMMEDIATELY. It's important to remember that while some dogs enjoy the security of a crate, the notion that "it's familiar" sort of goes out the window when you remember that while the dog may have lived in a crate at the track, there is a HUGE difference between being in a crate surrounded on all sides by other crated dogs, and being in a wire box in a strange place all alone...

You know, I never thought of it that way and we're on our second hound. That certainly puts crating into perspective.

I agree on using blankets in the crate until your hound gets used to the routine and learns how to hold it all day. We've gone through several old dog beds and blankets are definitely easier to deal with.

In re the cats, you should be able to tell fairly quickly if your new hound is really interested in your cats. I'm sure that the group in Houston though will have done a thorough job of cat testing him/her before placing it with you. That being said, if your new hound shows ANY interest, even if it's just following and sniffing you want to curb that right away. We were told, and use, to say "no kitty!" if our hound shows even just a little too much interest. It works. We too have a baby gate that's about 6" off the ground (we have wood blocks on each side of the door for the gate to rest on) that gives the cat a "safe" room in the study. That is where they are fed and where their litter boxes are. If your litter boxes are out in the open now, I would suggest putting them in a closet or some other such space so they can have privacy and also to keep your hound out of the litter boxes. :) Nothing better to a hound that doggy nachos. Also keep your hound out of the room while the cats are eating.

Good luck and we look forward to pictures of your new hound. Say hi to Houston for me (that's where I'm from).

Jess

We're on our third adoption, and NONE of ours have ever wanted to be in a crate once we got them home. We've always read/been told that they may like the familiarity of the crate, but every time we've put them in one it's like they are going to jail. With our most recent adoption we left a crate out with the door open, and a bed inside, and she wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Our setup is we have a baby gate blocking the stairs to our 2nd level, and one blocking the kitchen (where all those yummy smells are!), so they have the living room with their beds, the dining room with their bowls, and can see out the windows. They seem quite satisfied with that arrangement.

One thing to consider though is we didn't have to worry about potty training with our new arrival at all, as she was acclimated in a women's prison here before we adopted her.

if you use the search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen you can dig up many old threads on these same topics you are asking about. :)

some recent dog bed threads:

here

another

more on beds

bed thread

still another

bed a palooza

bed beds?

more bed info

beds

here is an interesting thread about favorite greyhound products and vendors.

favorites

Happy searching! :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Well, just to offer a positive view on crates, my Beth loves hers, and I still use it when I go out after two years -- she goes right in when she can tell I'm about to leave (or when she hears me get the Kong out of the freezer!), and doesn't come out in a hurry when I get home and open it up. I appreciate having the crate as a familiar safe place for her when we are staying in other places -- I would not feel comfortable leaving her loose in a strange environment, so I haul it around with us. And I like knowing my cat is 100% safe, and that Beth isn't chewing anything up as she has been known to do. Anyway, mine is the folding wire kind, 48" -- I can just manage to lift it up on the racks of my Subaru by myself. I think I ordered it from Petco, they have free shipping over $50. I cut up an old foam egg-crate mattress pad to soften the tray, and now use a simple rectangular dog bed over that, I think I got it at Target (and a pillow, because like many greys she likes to rest her head on something!). When I first brought Beth home I used a folded quilt on top of the egg-crate, but found she tended to dig it up to nest.

When I first brought Beth home I used a baby gate (extra tall) with a little cat door in the bottom of the part that opens so that I could keep her in part of the house with no access to the cat at times (when I couldn't directly supervise), and then would open the cat door so the cat could choose to be in the part where Beth was or not. I highly recommend this style! After a while Beth and my cat were fine together (this took a few months until the cat was really relaxed in her presence) and I stopped using it -- it's at my parents' house to block off access to the bathroom where the cat's food and litter is when I stay there (at home they're in the basement, where Beth doesn't go). I don't remember which site I got it from, but this is the product: http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-0941PW-Extra-Tall-Walk-Thru-White/dp/B000JJFNJK

Also -- I have always kept a blanket or whatever on the top of my crate. At the track and kennel the top is never "see-through," so it gives more of the den effect. (Plus the crate takes up so much room, I tend to pile dog coats etc. on top of it anyway!)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Sweetreba

a lot depends on your adoption group and what they require. When I adopted my two a crate was a must when you first brought them home and they gave me the demensions on size. They sold them through the adoption group at a much lower price or if they were out of them they put out an email if anyone had a crate they were willing to sell or let someone use. Then if the dog did ok without it you can do away with it. After two years I also have two dogs who love it. They run to the crate if they see me getting ready to go so they can have their kong. When I come home I just open the doors and walk out of the room. I wanted to teach them not to be rowdy when I got home so I kept it calm. Now they sometimes come out or stay in and sleep. If they come out they come up to me for their pet and then go on their beds in the living room.

They never were too paticular on beds in the LR any blanket or comforter would do. I did buy them pillows at Sam's Club. I agree Cosco's, Sams are great for pet bedding. I now have two large Perla beds that I just put comforters and blankets in that I get at thrift stores. The nice thing about the Perla beds (they look like rubbermaid oval containers with sides) is when you give them something messy to eat or chew on it stays in the contained bed and not all over the carpeting. Unless they decide to eat on the carpeting instead. Most of the time they take it to the bed.

Good Luck with the new love of your life. Just be patient and after a few weeks when all of you adjust it will all be super worth it.

In terms of crating, you will quickly find out whether your grey likes the crate or not. Getting our foster dog into the crate was at times frustrating, especially in the morning when I need to leave for school. We had him for 3 weeks and he did learn to accept the crate but it was fairly obvious that he wasn't a fan. When we adopted our grey, Summit, he was a bounce who had lived with his previous family for 2 years. They were no longer crating and I wondered how he would feel about having to be crated again. He took one look at the crate and went right in. For the first couple of weeks he would actually spend a lot of time sleeping in there (I think part of that was because we didn't have a dog bed yet... if we took his blankets out of his crate and put them in the living room he was usually fairly happy to sleep in the living room with us, though sometimes he chose to sleep on the carpet in the bedroom right next to his crate). Some 2 months later he still loves his crate. He runs right in at night, and he runs in after breakfast in the morning. He always gets something tasty (a duck's foot at night after having his teeth brushed) and a treat and his Kong in the morning before I leave. I know other greys that have broken out of crates. It all depends on your dog.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Swifthounds

I use a prefer the airline style crates. I have the "500" size crates and have used them easily with hounds from 50-82 pounds. In fact, my littermate boys used to get into the same crate and sleep together (they were 78 and 82 pounds, respectively). Sure, they don't fold up, but they also won't collapse on the dog, either. If you reach a point where the crate isn't needed as a crate, you can nest the bottom half inside the top half of the crate to make a nice, three-sided bed. The openness of a wire crate is tempting as we're naturally accustomed to think that open and airy is a positive quality. To a dog, who craves safety and security, and not a room with a view, however, open and airy isn't a comforting attribute.I've never paid more than $100 for the 500 size.

Six of mine still enjoy their crates and this is years after being adopted. They only use them to sleep in at night. If you choose to use a crate, you have to make it a nice place to be in. Mine get treats when then go in their crates at night. They have soft beds and stuffed animals in there with them. A lot of hounds coming straight from the track love their crates. Dogs who have been in foster homes where crates weren't used may put up a fuss about being crated. You can still crate train them if you wish though. It's nice, especially if you get a hound who loves to chew and destroy things, and there are hounds like that. You can choose to use a muzzle for that but remember, some hounds can get their muzzles off also. It's a personal choice.

I also feed mine in their crates. That is another incentive to be happy in it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mcsheltie

We crate every dog when they eat and when we are not home. New additions are crated at night until I know they can be trusted. I have cats and I do not let any dogs loose when I am not right there to watch them until I am absolutely, positively sure there will be no problems. I leave the crates open during the day and at least half of them sleep in their crates, even tho there are plenty of dog beds upstairs.

We use 42 inch wire crates. I haul out the 48's if we get a really large boy in.

Quilts bought at Goodwill for $5 work well for making a crate very comfortable. Get to know your dog's habits, likes and dislikes before you spend big bucks on bed.

Your thoughts about what to do at night are well thought out. The first couple nights I would crate. Putting the crate in the bedroom would help the hound feel like he wasn't alone. I don't want to scare you unduly, but these are things you need to consider. Do not trust a baby gate to hold a dog who wants to get to a cat. They can get over, under or knock them down if they really try. Muzzles can come off. Running the strap thru their collar or a muzzle keeper can help to prevent it. Dogs can still get to small animals thru their muzzles. You would be amazed how much of a cat will fit thru a muzzle. I can't tell you how many dogs I have seen over the years knock down an x-pen.

We have seven GHs and usually three fosters and have never had any problems crating. Even with dogs we took in because they had SA. Susan makes a very good point.

Guest katethegreyt

We crate every dog when they eat and when we are not home. New additions are crated at night until I know they can be trusted. I have cats and I do not let any dogs loose when I am not right there to watch them until I am absolutely, positively sure there will be no problems. I leave the crates open during the day and at least half of them sleep in their crates, even tho there are plenty of dog beds upstairs.

We use 42 inch wire crates. I haul out the 48's if we get a really large boy in.

Quilts bought at Goodwill for $5 work well for making a crate very comfortable. Get to know your dog's habits, likes and dislikes before you spend big bucks on bed.

Your thoughts about what to do at night are well thought out. The first couple nights I would crate. Putting the crate in the bedroom would help the hound feel like he wasn't alone. I don't want to scare you unduly, but these are things you need to consider. Do not trust a baby gate to hold a dog who wants to get to a cat. They can get over, under or knock them down if they really try. Muzzles can come off. Running the strap thru their collar or a muzzle keeper can help to prevent it. Dogs can still get to small animals thru their muzzles. You would be amazed how much of a cat will fit thru a muzzle. I can't tell you how many dogs I have seen over the years knock down an x-pen.

We have seven GHs and usually three fosters and have never had any problems crating. Even with dogs we took in because they had SA. Susan makes a very good point.

Thanks for the good advice guys. I've been reading up a lot on alone training because I do work away from home during the day, though I can come home for lunch. I gather the first few days are pretty important for establishing a good routine and foundation - makes sense.

I did try to do a search for crates but wasn't getting quite the info I was looking for - I do apologize if this thread was repetitive. I will check out the other dog bed threads for sure. And I think I've found some good baby gate options online.

I definitely don't plan to spend too much on dog beds and such at first because I know some animals are rather finicky (understatement? Haha.) But the Costco idea is a good one (and I am a member, woo!) And I will see if I can find some old blankets for the crate and extra sleeping places for the time being.

I will play it safe with the kitties for the first bit because I know muzzles and baby gates are not fool proof when a big dog gets an idea in their head = ) So perhaps the crate in the bedroom is the best idea at first.

Also, I'm planning to look at dogs that have had some time in a foster first, but I will keep in mind that racetrack life is very different from home life, including the crates. I'll think of it a bit like when we work with thoroughbreds fresh off the track - don't take it for granted that they know anything, haha = )

Again, thanks for indulging a newbie. And don't worry, I will be flooding the forum with pictures as soon as the new addition arrives.

I use a prefer the airline style crates. I have the "500" size crates and have used them easily with hounds from 50-82 pounds. In fact, my littermate boys used to get into the same crate and sleep together (they were 78 and 82 pounds, respectively). Sure, they don't fold up, but they also won't collapse on the dog, either. If you reach a point where the crate isn't needed as a crate, you can nest the bottom half inside the top half of the crate to make a nice, three-sided bed. The openness of a wire crate is tempting as we're naturally accustomed to think that open and airy is a positive quality. To a dog, who craves safety and security, and not a room with a view, however, open and airy isn't a comforting attribute.I've never paid more than $100 for the 500 size.

All of this is quite trued. For in the house my personal preference are wire crates. However, it's the dogs' opinions that matter. If the dog wants a cave then the plastic may be better. If your home is drafty or cold then plastic again would do better. We usually just throw a sheet, blanket or throw over the wire crates for the same effect. Our tried & true 42" folding crate has seen a ton of use over the years. Anytime it is set up with the door open there is quite often a dog sleeping in it voluntarily. However, the same could be said of the old 40" plastic crate. I would not want to leave a larger male Greyhound crated in a 40" crate for a long time however for a female or smaller male it would be fine for sleeping in at night. For use in our van I chose to go with plastic crates for a variety of reasons. The Deerhound rides in a 40" & the Greyhound in a 36". (Both are smaller females.)

Edited by kudzu

Guest Wasserbuffel

My girl loves her crate. She watches me all morning from the couch, just waiting for the signal to go into her crate. We took it with us when we went camping over the summer. Once it was set up and she knew where it was, she would drag me to it when she wanted a nap. Recently, she's decided to sleep in the crate rather than in the bedroom with us.

I have two cats that were living here before the dog. Their safety is very important and when I first got Jayne she was always leashed to me or crated for the first few weeks. I never baby gated any rooms. My cats' litter box is under the basement stairs and I put their food into an old rabbit cage so the dog can't get at those. Both of my cats are very confident and have been around dogs a lot, so they never ran when she came their direction. It's been ten months now and I'm confident they would do well if she were loose when we're gone, but if she's comfortable in the crate, why take the chance?