Pet Ramps

Guest formercatlady

Guest formercatlady

It appears that I need to buy a ramp for my boy, Special Ed. I bought an SUV last year, and he's having trouble loading up. I've tried to teach/lead him to take a running start like Abby does, but he just tries to jump straight up, from a stand still right in front of the cargo area :o

He's sweet, but not the brightest bulb (LOL). I have a bad back, so I can't keep assisting him and we've had a couple close calls lately where he almost fell. I don't want him to get hurt, so I'm looking for a ramp. Does anyone use one or know of a good one? Does it make a difference as long as I get one for the appropriate weight? :dunno

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks!

Guest Furmom

We have 2 of these petstep ones - http://www.costco.ca/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=10324270&whse=bcca&Ne=4000000&eCat=bcca|20161|22471|22478&N=4010399&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=22478&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&hierPath=20161*22471*22478*&topnav=

Excellent non slip ramp, extremely durable - we leave one on our back steps all year long and it hasn't rusted or frozen over with ice.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Batmom has posted a few times her homemade steps for your situation. She will hopefully come along and re-post.

other ideas for training to jump in:

1) As far as the training, did you try having someone else in the car with a treat when you ran at the back? Someone he knows and trusts encouraging him to come may help.

2) Also, try instead of the back, one of the side doors with the other door open. Maybe if he sees out the other side he will jump in (of course don't let go of the leash as he enters so that he wont jump out the other side). If he does it this way, just tie his leash around the headrest and close the doors, then when in the vehicle, you can release the leash. If this method does work, repeat until he is consistent, then after he is 100%, close the door before he jumps in and then you are set.

3) When you have tried getting him to jump in, do you do it with your other hound at the same time? This may help as he may follow your other hound by instinct.

4) If you don't have a helper, and getting in the side door is just too awkward (some vehicles the side doors are too narrow, such as my Jeep Liberty), try a treat (VERY high value treat that he never gets, but is really good, like hot dog bits) and let him see you have the treat, then repeat the running scenario, but at the last minute, toss the treat into the vehicle so he can see where it goes and hopefully will follow.

Maybe if you haven't tried any of these other options it may help. I foster and have three of my own, everyone jumps in. The two things that hounds must do in my household are stairs and jump into vehicles. And yes its possible with any of them, I foster only broken leg hounds so believe me, if they can do it, any hound can. At one point we had a tripod (only 3 weeks post-amp) that came by to do a cat testing and she figured out the stairs in 2 tries. Its all about motivation and trust (which you transmit down the leash in the form of confidence).

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

We bought one from Solv-it but haven't used it yet. We left it laying on the floor to get them to walk on it with very little results. We really have to start working them on it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest MyCody

got one from dogramp.com non slip, telescopes, is not heavy and very sturdy. Cody was over 100 pounds and had no problems with it. Company is greyt o deal with.

Guest formercatlady

Thanks to all who responded! And to Chad..great suggestions. Think I'm gonna try the ramp b/c my pups are 7 & 8 and it'll only get harder to jump the older they get..but I do appreciate you taking the time to type your response :)

Edited by formercatlady

Thanks to all who responded! And to Chad..great suggestions. Think I'm gonna try the ramp b/c my pups are 7 & 8 and it'll only get harder to jump the older they get..but I do appreciate you taking the time to type your response :)

I agree with Chad.

I purchased a ramp for my last dog because he had MAJOR orthopedic surgery. When I picked him up from the hospital, I was shocked that his 27 staples were not even covered with gauze! Anyway, as I bent to unfold the ramp and set it up, he jumped in the back of my SUV! He never once used that ramp!

I finally got rid of it about 10 years later!

It was a nice wooden folding one from Orvis, with no-slip tape on it. Great idea, but some dogs don't want to use them.

I saw someone use the Batmom steps--they were great!! I'd try those if I were you.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Here's the homemade steps topic: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/232476-homemade-dog-steps/page__p__4056973__hl__steps__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=4056973

I have a ramp but still use the steps with the current dogs as I can load/unload through the side door this way.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jey, thanks for posting the directions again. This time I put them (with the pictures) in a Word document and saved them. At the moment, all my greys will jump in my SUV, but several of them are getting older, and I know the time is coming when they will expect Mom to get them in and out of the car. :rolleyes: This might be a good project for spring.

Pat

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest hlpnhounds

Although I am secretly a little jealous of friends whose hounds will jump effortlessly into the backs of their SUV's or other vehicles, I have not really attempted to teach my hounds to do this. Mine have been fine with a 'lift the front legs and then lift the back end' approach to loading into the vehicle. I would love to try a ramp for them.

We've seen too many injuries from pets jumping into or out of vehicles to worry about teaching them this skill.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Lori,

You don't have to be secretly jealous of Bart, he loves you! =} I hope everyone is doing well in your neck of the woods. It has been pretty quiet lately with adoptions.

Chad

Guest Emmiesmom

I purchased a Mr Herzhers Smart Ramp for my girl who refuses to hop into a car. She's fine getting out, just doesn't want to put forth the effort to get in it! :huh

I love this ramp because it doesn't have any sharp edges that could cut her and it telescopes to save room. Walmart has it listed now under $100 though I bought mine on ebay as a return for under $60.

It's been worth it to not have to lift a 70 lb dog into the car. Plus my dachshunds love to run up it too, saving strain on their backs.

Guest hlpnhounds

Lori,

You don't have to be secretly jealous of Bart, he loves you! =} I hope everyone is doing well in your neck of the woods. It has been pretty quiet lately with adoptions.

Chad

We're doing well.....considering.

The hounds are all great---Sis relapsed again so will be here a while longer.

Everyone else is great though !!