Grumbly Tummy

Lately Zola has developed a grumbly tummy (gas, I think), almost always in the morning. This wasn't accomapnied by any change in food. Nonetheless, I did make her boiled chicken and rice for a week but the problem persisted. She's 10 years old and I am wondering if this is just a normal age-related ting. Is there anything I can do to solve the problem? It must be uncomfortable for her, poor thing.

Thank you!

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Guest Energy11

Sorry about the grumbly tummy! I hate that!

I actually give Gas X WITH my dogs' meals. Why? Well, I have in a very remote area, and I am hoping it helps with gas/therefore, bloat possibilities. Hasn't hurt them, anyway!

You can try giving Gas X with the meals. I use the Generic, which you can get at Dollar General or Wal Mart. Pepcid AC/or it's generic, might also help! Good Luck!

A tiny hijack here, if you don't mind... Energy11, how much of the Gas X do you give? I have the strips. Summer has a thing about farting at Grandma's house, which just is not the best choice of venue! :blink: She's also a newly certified therapy dog and she did some the last time we were at a nursing home, which was embarrassing. Although no one mentioned it, I'm guessing they all thought it was each other! :lol But even still, if a bit of Gas X will help...

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Our Diego has that too, I give him a bit of his food just before bedtime, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup. It seems to work for him most of the time.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest mcsheltie

When you say it is worse in the morning, do you mean before or after you feed? If it is before, try giving her a couple slices of bread right before you go to bed or a cup or two of her food. You could also try giving her bread when you wake up during the night to soak up the bile causing this.

If she is having problems after you feed there is something going on with her digestion. I would think about supplementing digestive enzymes as a first step. These are either plant or pork based. I would start with pork (dogs get more out of animal sourced nutrients) unless you know she has a food intolerance.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest Energy11

A tiny hijack here, if you don't mind... Energy11, how much of the Gas X do you give? I have the strips. Summer has a thing about farting at Grandma's house, which just is not the best choice of venue! :blink: She's also a newly certified therapy dog and she did some the last time we were at a nursing home, which was embarrassing. Although no one mentioned it, I'm guessing they all thought it was each other! :lol But even still, if a bit of Gas X will help...

I have the Generic Fart X ... :-) ... I mean, Gas X here. It is 125 mg. and I give two. Good Luck! Boy oh Boy! Farting at Grandmas!!!! NOT GOOD!!! :))))

With my previous dog, even though she wasn't a grey, she would have a grumbly tummy if it was empty. Same as a human, I suppose. If I forgot to give her something before bed, she would inevitably puke bile during the night. There always had to be something in her tummy or she was upset. Bread was often my choice, if I didn't feel that a cookie would be enough. And in the morning, if I got a couple of bites of bread into her right away, I could often prevent the barfing.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My two routinely get the last 1/2 cup of their day's allotment kibble at bedtime. No more of Jacey's stomach symphony waking me up in the morning...and both dogs are more inclined to sleep in and let me sleep late in the morning if they've had a snack before bedtime.

And a side benefit: Sam used to grumble when I'd wake him up on cold nights to take him out to pee before our "official" bedtime. But now he jumps up eagerly when I announce "Snack!" at bedtime.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)