Meana Isn't Eating Well

Guest K9Cookies

Guest K9Cookies

Meana has not eaten well since the peach-pit incident in the summer. We had a small peach tree in the backyard (chopped it down after this whole thing) and the dogs were eating the peaches, pits and all. We noticed trouble with Meana and got her to the vet's office. In the summer, we did X-rays, a barium swallow-type test and all. Things came back fine without any obstructions.

We've tried several types of canned food, wetting her kibble, adding yogurt, nutritional yeast, probiotics, etc. Still, she'll pick at things and eating takes her about 5-10 full minutes. She was always a food-hound before the peach problem. Now, she rarely finishes what we put down and will sometimes skip meals all together.

So, we're going to schedule a vet appointment. Any suggestions on a game-plan? :dunno This is really frustrating and we want her to be her normal self! Thanks! :)

Meana has not eaten well since the peach-pit incident in the summer. We had a small peach tree in the backyard (chopped it down after this whole thing) and the dogs were eating the peaches, pits and all. We noticed trouble with Meana and got her to the vet's office. In the summer, we did X-rays, a barium swallow-type test and all. Things came back fine without any obstructions.

We've tried several types of canned food, wetting her kibble, adding yogurt, nutritional yeast, probiotics, etc. Still, she'll pick at things and eating takes her about 5-10 full minutes. She was always a food-hound before the peach problem. Now, she rarely finishes what we put down and will sometimes skip meals all together.

So, we're going to schedule a vet appointment. Any suggestions on a game-plan? :dunno This is really frustrating and we want her to be her normal self! Thanks! :)

I sometimes jump start Spencer's eating in the morning by giving him some Ensure (1/3 bottle) or else his thyroid pill in a meatball. Usually he'll then go ahead and eat his kibble and gravy. Like Meena, he really takes his time finishing that morning meal, though he's faster with the others. But he's an IBD dog and may not be typical. On the other hand, maybe age comes into play, since he's 10 and I gather Meena's not a pup.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What about adding baby food, especially the meats. That was a God send with Misty.

And this is probably a long shot but any chance a pitt did some damage to a tooth?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest K9Cookies

Meana ate pretty well tonight. I tried some squash baby food. Thanks for that suggestion, Claudia. I happened to have 1 jar in the pantry. She licked up most of the baby food, but left the dry food that I had mixed with it. DH had some kibble in the fridge that he soaked in water. After the baby food, I gave her that with some yeast and she ate all of it.

Meana just turned 10 as well. We've had her about 1 1/2 years (a brood mama) and she was totally a chow hound before this summer. The vet has checked her teeth out a few times and hasn't found anything. We did find a little growth on her gums recently, but I don't think that's the problem. I suppose we'll ask for another X-ray, the normal work-up and see what we find.

Our 11 yr old Pointer/Spaniel was 'off her feed' about 3 weeks ago.

Blood panel was excellent and vet could find nothing in the physical exam to cause her to not want to eat.

We tried a couple of different soft foods/yogurt/pumpkin and she'd pick at them for a day and then say... 'no thanks'. The only thing she seemed to like was cheese.....

I went to the pet store to see if they could suggest anyuthing to perk up this girls appetite, and the suggested some 'Tripe'.

Well...I put a generous blob on top of her soft food and she gobbled that down. And wanted more.

Slowly we started doing less Tripe and more of her regular kibble and she is back to gobbling down just the kibble, but we are keeping a can of tripe on hand just in case.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My Lizzie is the worst eater ever (and that is with no peach pit incident). I don't bother putting her bowl down until the other four are finished and even then she'll either pick around, eat, or just walk away. If she doesn't eat her breakfast (that's the one she'll usually walk away from) I'll add sardines to her dinner. That works almost everytime. I keep a couple of cans in the pantry to add as a treat for all of them about once a week or when she's in her picky mode. Not sure if Meana is a fish kind of girl but it usually does the trick for Lizard.

Edited by fourofem

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)