Osteosarcoma

Zoolady

Oh crap! :cry1 I'm so very sorry to hear this news. Osteo is SUCH a nasty monster. :angry: Whatever decision you make, it'll be the right one for your precious Wonder. Don't ever doubt yourself. Spoil your sweet boy rotten. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. It's a tough call....you know Wonder better than anyone. What can he handle? I went through this two years ago with Lewis so I know exactly what you're feeling. I'm certainly not an authority but if you need a shoulder, PM me.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I am so sorry you're going through this. I posted a thread last week asking for info on dogs post-amp, and there is a lot of good info there (or links to info) on what to expect if you do go that route. No matter what you decide to do, I would suggest contacting OSU (Jane posted the contact info) -- they are a wealth of information. If you decide to do chemo, they will provide the drugs to your vet for free.

Big hugs to you and to Wonder. You are not alone in this -- there are many (too many) people here who have been in your shoes and will offer what ever support they can. Hang in there.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest bigorangedog

So sorry to hear that you and your boy are dealing with this horrible disease. We have lost 5 hounds to bone cancer in the past 2 years. We have done both pain management and amputation. If I had the choice, I would always go the amp route. While we only got 6 months with each of our tripawd boys, they were 6 beautiful pain-free months in both cases. However, with my other 3, amputation was not an option for various reasons (including personality of the dog, in our Annie's case). I'm happy to answer any Qs you have about the amputation process/recovery/etc. Also see the link in my signature here.

Wishing you the very best as you go on this journey with Wonder.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I'm so sorry :( We chose pain management with our Rose, and we definitely KNEW when it was time to let her go. The change was rapid and sudden. My heart breaks for you.

Guest jettcricket

My heart goes out to you and everyone who has had to deal with this horrible monster. I've lost 2 to bone cancer and it is awful. Our first grey, Chance, we opted initially for radiation/chemo to try and shrink the tumor....but it wasn't helping. We then decided to do amputation, but I think that we waited too late and my poor boy Chance only survived 2 months, if that, after his amp. He also suffered from phantom pain.....the guilt of putting him thru that will go with me to my grave. The boy had just turned 5 when we lost him. :(

Our Cricket, I believe, had chondrosarcoma (cancer of the flat bone). The tumor was in her pelvic region....we did radiation/chemo and pain management. She survived 9 1/2 months. She was our fighter and our miracle girl.

It is a very hard decision, but whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Hugs to you and your baby......:grouphug

I am so, so sorry to read about Wonder :cry1 Others who have sadly been through this monster disease with their hounds have better advice than I could ever give, I just wanted to send hugs. :grouphug :grouphug :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.