My Schnookie Is Lame

My Schnookie was a lame last night. When Dave walked the Greys in the morning, everyone was fine. There was a very slight swelling on her foot.

We checked between her toes. There was a residue of a gooie red brown matter near her toenails. The web of her toe appeared as scar tissue looks.

We suspected a grass seed had maybe burst from the site. However, their was no inflammation or swelling in that area.

This morning we noticed a dramatic improvement in her walking, so took her with the others for a small walk. (and chased a bunny a little way)

I had already made an appointment with the Vet.

By the time we got to the Vet, her paw was more swollen. In between her toes was normal. The Vet said that it was most probably a sesamoid fracture, and said that all I could do to treat her was rest. Schnookums came home with anti-inflammatorys and antibiotics.

If there is no improvement in a week they want to Xray to see if the bones are broken. Why? Rest I have been told is the only thing I can do!!! Is there a possibility that this could be just a sprain?

Could owners please share with me how this condition will progress, and maybe be treated. Does it mean that my Baby will have chronic lameness and pain?

Thanks so much.

He wants to do x-rays because, honestly, he's only guessing without them.

No experience with broken bones here, but I do know that your vet is suggesting a perfectly normal course of action!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I 'think' xraying a dogs toes requires them to push quite hard down on the broken/sprained foot, meaning they would probably have to sedate her.

So, myself...I would opt out of xrays.

If the bones are broken, what is the treatment? Rest & NSAID's?

If it is a sprain, then the treatment is the same. Rest. Meds.

This does not mean the dog will end up with chronic pain/lamness issues.

On the other hand, there are no guarantees he won't develop chronic problems.

I have had broken toes/crushed feet a few times myself (Oh, the joy of horses!) and the only course of treatment is rest and meds.

No cast. No surgery. Just go home, take it easy and hope for a good long-term outcome!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg