Kidneys Failing - Anyone Tried Herbal Remedies?

Guest sjb

My 8 year old greyhound Simba is suffering with failing kidneys. It seems to be one of those thing that conventional medicine struggles to treat. Looking on the internet there are quite a lot of herbal remedes particularly in America and Australia that make claims of being able to help. Has anyone tried these? Any other natural or alternative treatments that may be worth a go.

Any experiences or things I can do to help would be very welcome.

Are you in the States? Who told you her kidneys are failing and what are the results of the blood test?

No I am in the UK. Protein levels in urine high showing kidney damage. Vet has just sent urine to lab to see how much worse than last test 6 months ago. He is also noticably starting to drink more.

OK. How old is he?

Acupuncture and chinese herbs have proven to give positive results when treating kidney issues.

See if there is a vet close to you here CHI certified

This one, if anywhere near you appears to have the most certification by CHI:

Joanna Ka Wai Lee, DVM, CVA

Specialty: Small Animal, ExoticKent, DA11 8RD, UNITED KINGDOMTele: +44 7990513583

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

The holistic vet I consult with on occasion recommended this: Standard Process Canine Renal Support . In general he seems to like the Standard Process products. I haven't used it myself, but thought I would pass the info along.

You might also look into a vet who practices chinese medicine - they may be able ot recommend a blend for kidney support. Generally speaking, you can't get the chinese blends on your own, you need to get them through a vet.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

A board certified nutritionist may be of some help, too, depending on the diagnosis. Sometimes diet can make a huge difference.

dogaware.com is also a great resource. Please update when you can. Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest fandogs

My Rhoda died of Kidney failure..

I think had I known about some of the alternative meds/CHI etc, I would have definitely tried them.

It's worth it.. standard meds don't do much.

I would definitely recommend joining the yahoo group below if you have not already done so

A wealth of advice and good success stories

Pam

Canada

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYDIET/?yguid=115070632

K9KIDNEYDIET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

So I just sent my request to join this group as it's looking like I may need to start making some dietary changes for Neyla based on her elevated kidney values and the email questionnaire I got back seemed more extensive than the interview I went through to adopt my dogs! :lol I understand why they do it, it just cracked me up. But, thank you for the resource. The bonecancerdogs and artemisinin groups have been so helpful to me throughout Neyla's treatment, so I am grateful to have one for this issue, assuming they let me in. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My bridge baby, Tawny, had renal failure for many years. I took her in on a regular basis for acupuncture and really believe it made a difference in her years with us. Sending your pup prayers and good thoughts.

Just thought of something else that helped my Tawny with her renal failure. I consulted with Marina at www.naturalrearing.com as she had a lot of Standard Process herbals.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Very daunting I agree, but I think the level of information they want is one of the reasons why their regimens tend to have a good results.

There are also vets on this group which I find reassuring

Pam

So I just sent my request to join this group as it's looking like I may need to start making some dietary changes for Neyla based on her elevated kidney values and the email questionnaire I got back seemed more extensive than the interview I went through to adopt my dogs! :lol I understand why they do it, it just cracked me up. But, thank you for the resource. The bonecancerdogs and artemisinin groups have been so helpful to me throughout Neyla's treatment, so I am grateful to have one for this issue, assuming they let me in. :P

Thanks everyone have signed up to the recommended Yahoo group and seems tons of good information. Waiting for the lab to get back with the results so we can find out just how bad (or good) he is.