Just Won

Guest BlingDogs

Guest BlingDogs

For the past few weeks Dory has gotten more and more sluggish on her walks. In the morning she does a little dance with hops and sneezes and I know she's really excited. We step outside, and within seconds, she's plodding along behind me at a snails pace- I mean REALLY slow. Occasionally she'll whip around and stare back, clearly pointing to the house, and I need to drag her away. She already has sores on her neck from before we got her but I don't want to aggravate them again. At the dog park she's cling by me and won't run much at all. Could it be the cold? She has a warm jacket so I don't know what going on with her. She's still bright and happy in the house, but outside she's just tired. Has anybody else had a grey act like this?

Update: Just took her for her morning walk. Not being too ambitious, we tried to make it around the block (it's about 5 minutes walking). I must have looked evil, dragging her along behind me :( But in the house she's racing around, burning off the energy she already should have >:( Grrrr.

I must have pressed the enter button early. The title should read 'Just won't walk'

Edited by BlingDogs

Do you know why she has the sores? Are you putting anything on them? Has she seen a vet since you adopted her? How long are your walks? I don't know why she would be sluggish. Maybe her pads are sore?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

One of mine is like that; all excited when asked if she wants to go for a walk and then acts like she's on the Batan death march once we get going. Most of the time I can coax her along using my "excited to be walking" voice, but sometimes not so much. To make matters even worse, she's usually the first one of the three to take care of business, so then it becomes "why-am-I-being-forced-to-endure-this-hardship" while being "dragged" around until the other two do their thing.

Things improved after going through obedience training because she is very food motivated, so treats became my best friend for about 6 months. It took another 6 months to wean her off of them while maintaining some enthusiasm for going through the basic obedience commands while on our walks. She's still bringing up the rear, but it's much better.

Assuming that there's no physical reason (sore/tender pads, cold, arthritis), it make take some motivating to overcome her reluctance to walk.

Hope things improve for you and Dory, after all, walks are supposed to be fun!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hi, Dory's mom! I had to look up Dory's racing name but now I know who and where you are. If you want a harness, you can get hold of House of Earl and she sells the WWW (Wiggles Wags and Whiskers) harnesses which are great for the greyhounds.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest PiagetsMom

One of mine is like that; all excited when asked if she wants to go for a walk and then acts like she's on the Batan death march once we get going. Most of the time I can coax her along using my "excited to be walking" voice, but sometimes not so much. To make matters even worse, she's usually the first one of the three to take care of business, so then it becomes "why-am-I-being-forced-to-endure-this-hardship" while being "dragged" around until the other two do their thing.

This ^, describes Mirage's walks to a tee. He begs me to go, but once we get out there, he's at the end of his leash lagging behind. He tends to have one speed, kind of a slow stroll, and if I want to get any decent walk in for myself, I have to drop the pups off and head back out by myself. I always tell him that people would never believe that he ran around the track - and won! :rolleyes:

We just had to take one of ours to a rehab vet, where it was discovered that his difficulty walking is only at slow speed. He does better at a trot or a run. This slow-walk pattern has been going on for years, but we're just discovering its probable basis in an old injury now that his hips have become visibly skewed. This may not be a popular reply, but I always lean toward trusting the dog enough to consider that he's doing the best he can -- at least until and unless I can definitively find out otherwise.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Swifthounds

Is this new and accompanying the weather getting colder? If it is, the temperature difference may be the culprit. It's especially common where the house is kept warm in the winter (ie above 63-65) and it gets cold outside (say, below 45).

Mine will do this when they are bored with the route. Plain and simple, they want variety. Maybe that's all that Dory is telling you. ?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.