Gas In The Evenings?

Guest StriderDog

Guest StriderDog

The dogs are gassing us out of house and home!! :fart

It seems to be worse in the evenings - much worse. What could be the reason??

They're fed twice a day, so it's not tied to feeding time. They've both done their evening poo, so it's not that either. It's also not just because we're home in the evenings to notice it - I've been home sick with a sinus infection for the past 4 days, so I've been with them 24/7 and can say with certainty that the gas is much worse in the evenings.

So, what's up? They're killing us! :sick

Gas is usually a direct result of what they eat. Ollie and Teddy have no gas- they eat raw. The other 3- all bets are off.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest StriderDog

It's the food

can you add yogurt?

We switched foods about 5 months ago due to Strider's issues with diarrhea - we're on a sensitive stomach formula. We've found in that time that Strider can no longer handle any food other than his kibble and milkbones. Any food at all other than that, even a little, will cause a day's worth of diarrhea. :(

So, I don't think yogurt is an option.

I guess we just have to live with it? Invest in gas masks? :blush

I agree, the food is likely the culprit. However, if they get treats, that can contribute to ass gas.

Give them acidophiles pills with their meals. I get them at Walmart and the dogs get one when they eat.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My Sam has killer gas when he eats products containing wheat. Guess what the number 1 ingredient in milkbones is. And guess what's number 2.

Wheat flour. Wheat bran.

For a couple of days, try withholding all biscuits for the dogs. For a treat, can you offer them a bit of extra kibble? Act all excited about it and see if the dogs fall for it. ;)

If the gas situation improves, you can blame the gas problems on milkbones and experiment to find something Strider can eat--or just stick with giving the dogs kibble as a treat. (Nutro's "Chops" biscuits are wheat-free.) But there's no reason to risk upsetting Strider's stomach with a new treat until you're sure the current treats are the culprit.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Besides the obvious food issue, when Beth has gas and it's not related to something she ate it typically means she has another poop in her. You say they've done their evening business -- are you sure they're 100% done? Might be worth trying a short mid-evening walk to see if anything else comes out.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Energy11

My Curfew had KILLER gas, until I added plain, unflavored yogurt and plain pumpkin to his food. That did the trick. Good luck on the gas issue .. never fun! :blush

GasX works wonders. Smokey had gas when he first came to us and occassionally he still does. He has IBD and gets upset stomach easy. Normally I use fennel seed tea and just pack the GasX when we travel. The tea works wonders.

Take 1tbsp of fennel seed and grind it. I use a coffee grinder. Steep that in 8oz water until cool. Strain and keep in fridge. I give them about 2 tbsps at a time. Usually I poor it in a bowl and offer it around and they all drink some

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge