What The Heck Is Going On With Ollie

RobinM

I have seen flea allergies (on a GUR) where the patches were so bad it looked like ringworm. Once fleas were taken care of and after many baths, he again became his shiny self.

Good luck with it.

my welsh terrier was really sensitive to fleas and that is just about what he looked like. i called it "hot spots". they would get raw from him biting. i use aloe and hydrocortizone cream, that's what my vet recommended(costco sells it really cheap). even though the dogs love the taste of the aloe they don't get sick from it. i used generous amounts and rubbed it in, 2xs a day. the irritation needed to take it course, but raw areas came back with tons of hair. with as much hair as a welshie has, their skin can be really sensitive. one tick bite and it looked like a cigar burn!

I have seen flea allergies (on a GUR) where the patches were so bad it looked like ringworm. Once fleas were taken care of and after many baths, he again became his shiny self.

Good luck with it.

my welsh terrier was really sensitive to fleas and that is just about what he looked like. i called it "hot spots". they would get raw from him biting. i use aloe and hydrocortizone cream, that's what my vet recommended(costco sells it really cheap). even though the dogs love the taste of the aloe they don't get sick from it. i used generous amounts and rubbed it in, 2xs a day. the irritation needed to take it course, but raw areas came back with tons of hair. with as much hair as a welshie has, their skin can be really sensitive. one tick bite and it looked like a cigar burn!

These "spots" are not irritating to him, at all. There is very little scatching at all. The spots have hair loss but not totally. This is why it's so baffling.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Could it be the flea med you used?

I sure hope not cuz we are about to do it again tonight!!!!!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Doubt it's mange --usually they are beyond itchy with that.

Not with demodex. Often they don't scratch at all with that.

Those hairless spots do not look like flea bites...I have never seen hair fall out like that with flea bites.

Doesn't look like ringworm to me either...I have seen ringworm on horses, and it's a lot more 'crusty' than that.

Horses get something that looks similar to Ollies spots.....we call it 'rain rot'.... Easily treated by scrubing with with antibacterial soap.

They don't look like flea bites to me either, and if they were, they'd be itchy - as they would with an allergy, most likely. I still think it might be ringworm, and the 'coincidence' may be that he picked the fleas up from whoever he picked ringworm up from. It's so easy to detect ringworm with a blacklight, that I would ask for it to be ruled out, anyway.

Good luck with finding a dx!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Took the day off today to see one of the big guns over at the animal hospital that we use. He examined Ollie and said the only real way to deternine what is going on is to do a skin biopsy which he did not feel we should do yet. He said I should continue the clavamox (I have another 2 days) and see where it goes. I treated them again on Sunday, did the beds and linens too. And I STILL found 2 fleas on one of my cats in the last 3 days AND I found a live one in our bed. Nice.

I am combing them constantly and as of right now, they all appear clear but I know the fleas are still around. Vet said the pred could be contributing to the hair loss (even afer just 10 days of using it???!!!) and sometimes it gets worse before better.

Ollie is otherwise super happy boy and doing well.

But... he looks moth eaten.:blink:

Edited by RobinM

Guest TeddysMom

Poor Ollie. I hate it when it becomes a "wait and see" DX since I am not very patient, want to know what is wrong with my dog and what I can do to fix the problem. Still sending prayers that you find a solution.

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin, did you ask if it could be a food allergy?

I know that is the last thing you want to deal with, but my cat, Sunny had bald spots just like Ollie. She looked exactly like the picture of Ollie.

We had no fleas. I changed the food, and bingo... the hair grew back 1.. 2... 3....

I know with raw it is a difficult situation.

Just a thought...

Robin, did you ask if it could be a food allergy?

I know that is the last thing you want to deal with, but my cat, Sunny had bald spots just like Ollie. She looked exactly like the picture of Ollie.

We had no fleas. I changed the food, and bingo... the hair grew back 1.. 2... 3....

I know with raw it is a difficult situation.

Just a thought...

It's not a food allergy.