Deramaxx

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

My girl is going to try a new NSAID to see if she can have some better pain relief. She was on Novox(generic rimadyl) and will begin Deramaxx Thursday. She is 63 pds. On Novox, she would take a half a 100mg tablet AM with breakfast and half PM with a late dinner. I understand Deramaxx is a once a day dose. Just wondered when I should give it to her for max benefits...I believe she will probably take this for the rest of her life, I know she needs bloodwork and monitored, scary stuff but I want her to be comfortable. Thanks.

What dosage are they putting her on? And what is this for? If it's anything above 50 mg/day I would be alert for signs of gastric issues. I would also give a pepcid 15-30 min before the Deramaxx and make sure the Der is given with food. You might also consider a milk thistle supplement for liver protection.

If the pain relief is for arthritis, I would also recommend checking out herbal anti-inflammatories, which while they generally take longer to kick in, don't typically have the side effects that nsaids do. They can be also be used in conjunction to enhance the effect of the nsaid. The one I know the most about is Boswellia, but there are others, including supplements that combine various anti-inflammatories (yucca, bromelain, etc.).

There have been some recent threads about all of these topics - Deramaxx dosage, herbal anti-inflammatories like Boswellia and Yucca, and milk thilstle/sam-e for liver protection if you just search around a bit.

As for time of day, it's supposed to maintain an even level in the body, but if you feel she'd get better results having it at one time, I would do that. For instance, if she's more active in the evening, give with dinner. If she's more active during the day, give with breakfast. But, my priority would be giving it with food and after pepcid. Hope that helps.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest peacehound

What dosage are they putting her on? And what is this for? If it's anything above 50 mg/day I would be alert for signs of gastric issues. I would also give a pepcid 15-30 min before the Deramaxx and make sure the Der is given with food. You might also consider a milk thistle supplement for liver protection.

If the pain relief is for arthritis, I would also recommend checking out herbal anti-inflammatories, which while they generally take longer to kick in, don't typically have the side effects that nsaids do. They can be also be used in conjunction to enhance the effect of the nsaid. The one I know the most about is Boswellia, but there are others, including supplements that combine various anti-inflammatories (yucca, bromelain, etc.).

There have been some recent threads about all of these topics - Deramaxx dosage, herbal anti-inflammatories like Boswellia and Yucca, and milk thilstle/sam-e for liver protection if you just search around a bit.

As for time of day, it's supposed to maintain an even level in the body, but if you feel she'd get better results having it at one time, I would do that. For instance, if she's more active in the evening, give with dinner. If she's more active during the day, give with breakfast. But, my priority would be giving it with food and after pepcid. Hope that helps.

Peace has arthritis, at least that is what I have been told for three years now. I am always worried that it is osteo that is just lurking in those bones. Yes I am a worry wart hound mother. The vet gave me 7 pills to try, at over 4 dollars a pill, I sure hope they help. Anyways, he said to give her 25 mg, that if it doesn't seem to help, she can have 50mg. I sure hope it works, she has been off Novox(rimadyl) for three days and she is limping more. Thanks for your information, I am ordering Dasuquin for her today.

Peace has arthritis, at least that is what I have been told for three years now. I am always worried that it is osteo that is just lurking in those bones. Yes I am a worry wart hound mother. The vet gave me 7 pills to try, at over 4 dollars a pill, I sure hope they help. Anyways, he said to give her 25 mg, that if it doesn't seem to help, she can have 50mg. I sure hope it works, she has been off Novox(rimadyl) for three days and she is limping more. Thanks for your information, I am ordering Dasuquin for her today.

Is her pill 25 mgs? Or, did he give you some to break. Fuzzy's orthopedist's deramaxx was almost $5 a pill. I ordered from Fosters and Smith, a larger quantity, and got the pills for $2.37. They are 100 mgs and I break them into four. If your girl is going to stay on them, this is another option for you for long term use.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest peacehound

Is her pill 25 mgs? Or, did he give you some to break. Fuzzy's orthopedist's deramaxx was almost $5 a pill. I ordered from Fosters and Smith, a larger quantity, and got the pills for $2.37. They are 100 mgs and I break them into four. If your girl is going to stay on them, this is another option for you for long term use.

her pill is the 100 mg to break into four pieces..just hoping it works, did you have good results??

her pill is the 100 mg to break into four pieces..just hoping it works, did you have good results??

I almost hate to answer, because I don't want to jinx anything, but, yes. Fuzzy was started on a 1/2 tablet for about two weeks and then got terrible diarrhea. Dr. Davis said to drop him down to a 1/4 since he was once again, doing stairs and sleeping on the upper level. Fuzzy had stopped coming upstairs, even to eat in the kitchen. If that didn't work, we would try another medication, but it has worked.

Shop around, get a scrip from your doctor, especially if you will need it long term. Don't buy the 25 mgs; it is less expensive initially, but it is cheaper to buy the larger and break it.

I also give him two milk thistle tablets daily.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Loki just finished her 7 day dose of 75 mg deramaxx. one pill per day. I was concerned about stomach issues as he has a very sensitive tummy , but no problems

Good luck !!

Loki just finished her 7 day dose of 75 mg deramaxx. one pill per day. I was concerned about stomach issues as he has a very sensitive tummy , but no problems

Good luck !!

Higher dosages are used for things like pain relief post surgery, it's long term use at higher dosages that can lead to severe stomach issues. That's more for the OP. :)

To the OP, 25-50 daily is a reasonable dosage. I would hope the 25 would do it. Neyla does actually have osteo and I've found the Deramaxx is really what gives her the most relief. If it doesn't work, I believe you can also use Metacamm and there may be other nsaids I'm not familiar with. And yes, I second buying the 100 mg tabs online and breaking them. I think the cheapest I found them was around $83 for 30 pills.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest peacehound

Good luck !!

Higher dosages are used for things like pain relief post surgery, it's long term use at higher dosages that can lead to severe stomach issues. That's more for the OP. :)

To the OP, 25-50 daily is a reasonable dosage. I would hope the 25 would do it. Neyla does actually have osteo and I've found the Deramaxx is really what gives her the most relief. If it doesn't work, I believe you can also use Metacamm and there may be other nsaids I'm not familiar with. And yes, I second buying the 100 mg tabs online and breaking them. I think the cheapest I found them was around $83 for 30 pills.

Thank you so much for taking time to respond. I hope Neyla has a long pain free time to enjoy life yet. My concern is the fact that this is the first time Peace has not responded to her rimadyl, she has been limping this time for almost two months I really hope the Deramaxx helps. The little bugger just jumped up on my bed which she hasn't done for weeks and yelped..augh...guess she just wants to be normal again It has now been 72 hrs since rimadyl so she gets the Deramaxx with her breakfast..hope, hope, hope it works

thanks again and I will keep you in my; thoughts..this is my first greyhound and I know now what an incredible part of the family they are, just wonderful creatures.