Question About Muscle Atrophy

Our Fuzzy is being treated with deramaxx, long term, for a bad lower back. He has been to a holistic vet, acupuncturist, chiropractor, and orthopedic surgeon.

Last night I noticed, while looking at him from the rear, on one side of his tail, it looks like the muscle has sunken in. There is a depression. I poked in there and it doesn't seem to bother him, but he is a very stoic dog.

I looked up in "Care of the Racing Greyhound" and muscle atrophy is mentioned, but sometimes that book is a little too technical for me. It seems to say, that there is really nothing to do for this. We have also noticed lately, that he is dragging that leg again when he runs. But, Paul, lifts his leg in a funny position when he runs, so what is normal for not being normal? With so much stuff going on with my guys, I hate to make another trip to the vet for something that doesn't seem to bother him, or that there is nothing to be done about.

I have an appointment in a week from Monday at NGAP for dental touch ups for Fuzzy and Idol and Paul will get some of his stitches removed. I intend to point this out to vet there an see what she says.

Any ideas or suggestions? Your thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Does he have lumbar stenosis?

George does.

My treatment plan includes walking to keep his muscle strong. Of course I don't have a yard, so walking was on the menu anyway!

Aside from exercise that he can tolerate, no, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

And George also takes a daily Deramaxx. Actually, half of one!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Does he have lumbar stenosis?

George does.

My treatment plan includes walking to keep his muscle strong. Of course I don't have a yard, so walking was on the menu anyway!

Aside from exercise that he can tolerate, no, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

And George also takes a daily Deramaxx. Actually, half of one!

The diagnosis was a bad back. The ortho said he sees many greyhounds with this type of chronic issue. Fuzzy has been better since the deramaxx. We have dropped him down to a quarter dose. How would I recognize lumbar stenosis? Fuzzy loves his walk and I try to walk him at least once a day. Now, the first vet said to limit his walking. I tried, but the boy was miserable without at least one walk. Who to listen to?

We are vending at Greyhound Angels Holiday Shop. We had our neighbor come in twice today to let the dogs out, as we were gone from early morning to later this evening as it is also our granddaughter's birthday. We went out to dinner with the family after vending. Anyway, our neighbor said that they all ran when she let them out, including Fuzzy.

While I think the dermaxx is working, somewhat, at times I feel like he is going downhill right before my eyes. Again, he is only six years old.

I am just a worrier about my guys.

My grey is also having back problems. he is six. Changed vets and she noticed that one side of his hindquarter was larger than the other. She did xrays no osteo but said there might be some kind of mass. Or it could be muscle atrophy. I take him back in two weeks she wants to see if the area is larger. Hoping the vet for your grey. I know I have to limit mine's activity - no walks and no couch. But he is just miserable. I'm wondering if I shoud take him for a short walk.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I personally think it is important to let them exercise as much as they can tolerate. Leash walking is great because you can monitor their activity level; sometimes they might over-do it from running before they even realize they are tired, but an easy, gentle walk will let them have some exercise without so much of that risk. And like another poster said, the mental stimulation is vital to their health, too. Regular walking will help maintain his muscle tone, which, IMHO is important to prevent further degradation and possibility of re-injury.