Lizzie

Her teeth have been horrendous since the day she arrived. No amount of brushing, cleaning, etc. has helped much at all and the time has come. She's going in on Monday morning and will most likely leave that afternoon with a lot less teeth. I'm sure I'll come home with lots of instructions but after the initial healing process, what is she going to be able to eat? I mix kibble with home cooked and warm water for everyone now. Will she be able to eat that? I'm just trying to prepare myself to keep her eating...she's a picky one anyway (and right now, that's probably because her teeth are bothering her). It may be a little early, but any good thoughts you can send her way will certainly help. She's almost 10 but overall, in good health. Still makes me nervous putting her under for this.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest bigorangedog

She'll be able to eat anything she used to eat, but it may take her a bit longer. This guy, Chester, has one tooth. He was eating regular dry kibble within a week of the dental. Just feed mushy stuff for the first few days, then work up to her regular stuff.

17249_1299129352588_1061032718_30885226_1603957_n.jpg

A couple weeks ago, my Eyore had 9 teeth out. His head puffed up like a football, and on the second day he popped a clot on his upper gums and bled like a fountain for about 2 hours.... But within a few days he was eating almost normally. And now he is back to eating dried pig ears, albeit kind of slowly.

Your girl is going to be just fine!! :colgate

When she eats now, do you hear her crunch her kibble? Or does the kibble just rattle in the dish for a few seconds until she sucks it down?

If the latter, the extractions won't slow her down (once the swelling is resolved). If the former, it might take her a little longer to figure how to inhale it all.

I think many of our dogs have dental issues because they don't chew their kibble. If they chewed more, their teeth might get scraped a little by the kibble.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My late baby Diamond lost 23 teeth at one shot.

She didn't swell much but was uncomfortable for a few days. She was able to eat scrambled eggs during that time.

I've never fed just dry kibble, I don't like the way they choke on it after snarfing a huge mouthful. So it was either soaked or mixed with canned. She was able to eat that the same as before.

However, food tends to fly around a bit more. Notice the piece of spaghetti on her head?

DSC00033-1.jpg

Aw MOM! Didja have to take my picture with spaghetti on my head?

DSC00032.jpg

Guest KennelMom

Our toothless, one-toothed and few-toothed hounds always ate regular kibble like anyone else. A bit of water added, just like everyone else. Soaking isn't necessary.

Edited by KennelMom

My late baby Diamond lost 23 teeth at one shot.

She didn't swell much but was uncomfortable for a few days. She was able to eat scrambled eggs during that time.

I've never fed just dry kibble, I don't like the way they choke on it after snarfing a huge mouthful. So it was either soaked or mixed with canned. She was able to eat that the same as before.

However, food tends to fly around a bit more. Notice the piece of spaghetti on her head?

DSC00033-1.jpg

Aw MOM! Didja have to take my picture with spaghetti on my head?

DSC00032.jpg

:lol:lol:lol The spaghetti on Diamond's head!! That is way too funny! Totally cracks me up!

Gee came home with instructions from the vet to just give her 1/3 of what her normal dinner usually was. That girl wanted to eat and 1/3 wasn't making her happy at all! She was on chicken and rice for about 3 days after her extractions and then she was back on her kibble, soaked just as before. Now she's eating doggie cookies (hard ones) with no problems what so ever. She was on pain meds for 2 days and that was it. She drooled a little the first night but after that it's like she never had those teeth out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee