Al's First Vet Visit

Guest greydreams

Guest greydreams

He needs to lose 9 pounds and he has hookworms. I got the meds to treat him. I also have to treat my other 2 dogs. The vet said Al had hookworms when he came to them, he was treated and tested before I got him, and now they are back. I also got the Sentinal for heart worm and other stuff. I was feeding Nature's Best lamb and rice, but just started my third bag of Kirkland's. I don't think I like it as much as the Nature's Best. Seems Al is hungrier on Kirkland, always barking for food, and his stool was just now getting firm enough for my liking, but still not as firm as on the Nature's Best. And there is a LOT of it! So I think I will go back, even though it costs more, I like the results a lot better. What to feed to loose weight? He needs more exercise too, just like his Mom.

Guest greydreams

About 4 cups a day. He barks and barks if I don't feed him. My fault for caving, I know. I guess I will try giving him carrots or something when he thinks he is hungry, and just give him a cup in te morning and a cup at night.

You can try just cutting back on how much he gets. If you're measuring out the food, just shave a bit off the top of every serving.

I scoop food out with a 1/2-cup measuring cup. When Jacey needs to lose weight, I fill the cup just less than level on each scoop. When Sam needs to gain weight, the measuring cup is heaping. (For both: 3 scoops at breakfast, 2 scoops at dinner, 1 scoop at bedtime.)

At my house, the rule is that barking earns a trip outside. Even if I was just about to get up and fix dinner for my demanding duo, if someone (Sam) starts barking, we go outside, take a walk to the corner for peeing and pooping opportunities, then come back for dinner. But if your boy ever barks and you get up and head for the kitchen, he'll make the wrong associations in his head. ("Look! I made her feed me!") Aside from nipping Sam's dinner demands in the bud, it also means I never have to guess what Sam's bark means.

If your boy really is hungry, you can feed some frozen green beans at meal times (or as a between-meal snack). Periodically, I toss a handful on food dishes. A little "bulk" to his diet without accompanying fat calories.

Also, I break "cookies" in half. The dogs each get two pieces--instead of two cookies--when I'm leaving for work. Fewer calories for them, fewer dollars for me, and it works. Sam expects two treats, and he thinks he gets them.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest greydreams

You can try just cutting back on how much he gets. If you're measuring out the food, just shave a bit off the top of every serving.

I scoop food out with a 1/2-cup measuring cup. When Jacey needs to lose weight, I fill the cup just less than level on each scoop. When Sam needs to gain weight, the measuring cup is heaping. (For both: 3 scoops at breakfast, 2 scoops at dinner, 1 scoop at bedtime.)

At my house, the rule is that barking earns a trip outside. Even if I was just about to get up and fix dinner for my demanding duo, if someone (Sam) starts barking, we go outside, take a walk to the corner for peeing and pooping opportunities, then come back for dinner. But if your boy ever barks and you get up and head for the kitchen, he'll make the wrong associations in his head. ("Look! I made her feed me!") Aside from nipping Sam's dinner demands in the bud, it also means I never have to guess what Sam's bark means.

If your boy really is hungry, you can feed some frozen green beans at meal times (or as a between-meal snack). Periodically, I toss a handful on food dishes. A little "bulk" to his diet without accompanying fat calories.

Also, I break "cookies" in half. The dogs each get two pieces--instead of two cookies--when I'm leaving for work. Fewer calories for them, fewer dollars for me, and it works. Sam expects two treats, and he thinks he gets them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the barking thing. And the green bean thing. I do break the treats in half already, they think they are getting more lol I like the 3 scoops in morning, 2 at noon and 1 at night too. I will try that.

Nine pounds is a lot to be overweight, so 4 cups is too much!

I only feed my dog 2 cups a day--granted he is a smaller male. If he barked at me for more food, I'd be working on teaching him "go lie down"! He's manipulating you, and it's working!

Just gradually cut back on his kibble, and increase his exercise if possible!

Just like a person would lose weight! Remember, it's in his best interest to be slim, the way nature intended. Those skinny little legs aren't designed to hold a lot of excess, so be strong! colgate.gif

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

string beans and raw carrots are good fillers and roughage. even though carrots are loaded w/ sugar they go right thru them. ice cube are also excellent- forefils the need to chew. i had to keep my scottie at one weight due to the meds he was on- scotties are notorious for being overweight. i managed to reduce 10% of his weight and keep him at the same weight for 9 years using the items mentioned above...and yes, i cut out doggie treats and reduced the quanity of food.

I like the 3 scoops in morning, 2 at noon and 1 at night too. I will try that.

The 1 scoop at night (at bedtime) means my guys are more likely to sleep through the night without a problem. Often, they let me sleep late in the morning, on days when my job permits it. (The magic word at night is "Snack!" That sends both dogs racing to the kitchen.)

If you cut your boy back to 3 scoops, 2 scoops, 1 scoop, you'll have him at 3 cups a day instead of 4, which may be what he really needs, but you'll be spreading the decreases in food out evenly. I'm not sure how big your boy is--or how active--but 3 cups a day should help get the weight off quickly. My boy is a lazy ten and a half, and weighs about 62 pounds. He could stand to add a couple of pounds because he's not as muscular as he once was, and he's looking pretty bony and thin. But he spends time climbing onto the sofa, going up and down the stairs, and leaping onto my bed, so excess weight would do his old bones no good at all.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)