The Honeymoon Is Over

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

I guess the honeymoon is over for me and Augie. He is a great dog don't get me wrong but after being home 14 days he is finally letting all hang out. Augie has been a dream since we brought him home over 2 wks ago. He just fell right in line and is the sweetest beta boy all 87lbs of him. Today I woke up with a kidney stone and ended up being knocked out on pain meds. I woke up from a 2 hour nap and that's where the trouble was discovered. I painfully followed the dogs into our fenced backyard for a pottybreak (I try to supervise them since Augie and Ava are still getting used to each other. I noticed that Augie had brought my DH's professional grade BBQ mit into the yard. (He hoards toys back and forth from his bed to his favorite spot in the yard). It wasn't damaged so I told him I would keep the incident a secret for now. I went to the kitchen and saw a trail of shredded newspaper going into the sunroom. He followed me in there since he's my velcro dog and I scolded him and gave him a chew toy and sent him outside with it. Fast forward two hours and I notice it's too quiet in the living room. I go downstairs and he's standing there in the middle of the room with the "OOPS I am so busted look" on his face. It's the one where they stand really staight up with their necks stretched and ears up in the air. I didn't see anything wrong so I went back to bed. Later I went to the LR to see what they were doing and then I noticed what I had busted him doing before. He had chewed the corners off two of my nicest coffee table books. One of them was a Greyhound Photography Book (the one by Barbara Karnhart). I gave him the riot act and he pouted in the bed for awhile. I proceeded to check his bed for other contraband. I found my husband bamboo backscratcher unchewed. I fussed at him AGAIN feeling like the meanest mommy ever. I proceeded to call the DH and vent. I then heard a couple of thumps in the LR and had yet again go down the stairs (everytime I move I feel like the guy in Aliens with the alien popping out of his belly). I cold busted him with yet ANOTHER GREYHOUND BOOK IN HIS BED! This one was the Cynthia Branigan History of Greyhound Book. Luckily he hadn't eaten it yet. I am beginning to see a theme here. I know he's just bored and desperately needs to go for a walk but I can barely make it to the kitchen much less walk my two greys and play leash tango with them. My DH is on the way home by now. I call him and he promises to play with them and wear them out for me when he gets home. He comes home and what do ya know the dogs greet him happily like nothing happened. I showed the DH all the damaged goods and he gives him the talk and takes them out to play. They all get in the yard and BOTH DOGS proceed to turn around go back inside and lay down. They then slept for 3 hours. I have yet to pass the damn stone and daddy goes back to work in am. I have a feeling we are in for more book eating tomorrow. I've put up what I can but I am a avid reader and we have books everywhere in our house. We named him Augustine Dogestine and call him Augie. Augustine was a saint know for his scholarly ways and it also means he who is highly praised. I wonder if there's a name that means "HE WHO EATS BOOKS"?

-ava and augie's mum

Edited by avadogner

I am so very sorry you are not feeling well - know you don't need more stress.

I too am an avid reader and just like in the kitchen, I have sadly learned to dogproof myself as far a reading material. All books go in drawers if I have anyone that might be tempted (My current three are not "readers" but two that I dogsit are).

I lost greyhound books, an address book and half the cover off my cherished $140 Ffilofax that I got on deep discount before I becae vigilant.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We went through something similar with Bella. Once she discovered toys, it was as though she made the connection that anything she could reach and pick up was also hers. She would bring everything into her crate - slippers, books, even tried the dustbuster once. I dog-proofed better for a couple of weeks and she stopped. We've now had her 6 months and she hasn't destroyed anything in at least 4 - well, other than accidentally, that is, but not by chewing.

Hang in there!!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest KennelMom

To a dog, the world is a toy. I mean seriously, you think a dog knows the different human values placed on a stuffy vs an oven mitt or a book? Things in the world, to a dog, smell interesting, taste interesting or are just fun or satisfying to chew on or play with. Especially for a new dog. Racers have never lived in an environment where there were "off limits" things humans put out for decoration. If they have access to it at a track, it's pretty much fair game. Why would magically know your "kennel" (house) is any different?

They also don't understand things like the human is sick and doesn't feel like taking the dogs for a walk. All they know is they have energy and need to expend it. It's not their fault, it's their nature.

Dog proof everything. If you can't supervise, muzzle him or crate him so he can't get in trouble. I've usually found that over time their curiosity with new things wanes and they are less likely to chew stuff we don't want them to chew.

Beth chewed a dog book early on in our time together too -- one a colleague gave me as a gift, called "What Is Your Dog Thinking?" She chewed "Greyhounds for Dummies" too now that I think of it.

My only real comment/suggestion is . . . this is why crates are a good idea. After 2+ years I still crate Beth when I go out. Partly because she is calm and secure in the crate, partly because it 100% protects my cat, but especially because I know she has a tendency to chew stuff if she can find it when left unattended -- books and items possibly more dangerous to her. I've never quite been able to imagine dog-proofing to a sufficient degree and staying consistent about it (I'm a college prof and tend to have books scattered all over!), so I keep on with the crate. Of course, I'm flexible enough with my time that she rarely has to stay in for more than 4 1/2 hours at a go.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest avadogner

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the tips. We had to ditch the crate because Augie nearly flipped it the first night. He went crazy every time we tried using it. He got so worked up he vomited buckets of goo from his poor tummy. We put up 4 baby gates to limit his access to the house. I noticed all the stuff he ate was at his level so I didn't dog proof as well as I thought. I put everything up I thought he could get or covered it up with a blanket. He is sweet but not the smartest grey I've come acrosss. I pulled out the 3 Kongs Ava (our senior girl) never touched and filled with treats and peanut butter and froze them. It seems to be keeping him busy today. I passed the stone last night but still feel bad but was atleast able to get in the back yard and throw pieces of broken bones around for him to chase down. Hopefully I'll be able to walk them tomorrow. This whole PKD kidney failure stuff is unpredictable and not fun so it's hard to know what each day will bring. I have started working on teaching tricks to entertain him. He's very treat oriented so he picked up sit right away. he's not sure about shaking hands though. Having Ava as a teacher helps too.

thanks,

ava and augie's mum

Before becoming known for his scholarly ways, St. Augustine was quite the rabble-rouser as a youth. He famously said, "Lord, make me chaste - but not yet!" Seems your boy is aptly named. :)

Anyway, chewing books is common. Our girl does it with any paper - paper towels, books, magazines, napkins, mail etc. You name it. The solution is to dog proof the house and make sure none of that stuff is laying around where he can easily get it. Ellie got to the point of pulling books off the shelf to chew, and it took a bit more sophistication to break her of that habit, but it doesn't seem you're there yet.

Right now, for so long as your stuck in bed most of the time, I'd keep him in the room with you and make him nap in there. If the other rooms aren't dog-proofed, don't trust him alone in there.

Guest TBSFlame

I like to take my shoes off. After losing several pair of shoes I got a container with locking handles. I keep it right beside the sofa and when I take my shoes off I place them in the protective box along with the current book I am reading, glasses, remotes anything that needs to be protected. They stay safe. :) I have had the dogs steal my shoes right off my feet while I am taking a nap. lol. Stinkers. No point in fussing at your pups after the fact. It's your fault if you don't put your things away.

Guest IrskasMom

You are on the right Track. Right now , I to think he is still a little stressed. Kennelmom said it right , it is all New to him .Give him more ,much more time to settle down with his mischiefious ways.Doggieproof a little more and Augie will be a greyt Dog . Good Luck :):):)