Know Anything About Amikacin Use In A Kidney Dog?

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with using Amikacin in a hound on the edge of kidney failure? 14 1/2 year old Aggie has aquired an ecoli UTI that lab tests say is a resistant kind that is only sensitive to amikacin. Vet says is dangerous for kidney's but that it should be OK to use with constant monitoring of enzymes etc. Vet said it is ONLY antibiotic that it is sensitive to. Vet also said it may not clear the infection even if we risk using it . If we don't use it then she will continue to deteriorate but that she felt there were other issues going on to and that even if it cleared it she may well continue to deteriorate. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using this drug or knows anything about using it in a hound with kidney disease. Any and all info and opinions will be gratefully received. I am inclined not to use it as I am greatly concerned that it may push her over the edge sooner than what would happen if I don't. Thanking you in advance for any info!

I would confirm that it was the only effective antibiotic and then use it with caution and monitoring. You really don't want her harboring an E. coli infection -- that can get ugly and fast; best treated before that point.

We blitzed Gidget (severe acute kidney failure incident less than a year ago) with antibiotics that aren't terribly kidney-friendly; she did fine. Granted she is a young, strong dog who was mostly recovered from her kidney insult so YMMV.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would confirm that it was the only effective antibiotic and then use it with caution and monitoring. You really don't want her harboring an E. coli infection -- that can get ugly and fast; best treated before that point.

We blitzed Gidget (severe acute kidney failure incident less than a year ago) with antibiotics that aren't terribly kidney-friendly; she did fine. Granted she is a young, strong dog who was mostly recovered from her kidney insult so YMMV.

Hugs and best luck.

Aggie is VERY debilitated and weak. Been researching it on web and it is ototoxic, neurotoxic, and nephrotoxic and the odds of induced deafness increase with age, impaired kidney function, and dehydration- all of which applies to her. I couldn't stand myself if I caused her to go deaf so I reckon its not an option. Theres no question in my mind or heart that she would not want that. It would be horribly cruel to do that to her on top of all her other issues etc. Drug info also says it can happen AFTER the drug has been stopped and there is NO WARNING during treatment that would alert you that it was happenning. Further it can cause instant respirastory arrest. Something else which I couldn't stand being responsible for doing to her. Above all I want to respect Aggie's wishes at this critical time of her life and operate out of love for her first before anything else. THANKS for the reply and info. Prayerfully considering all options.

Might be worth trying a different antibiotic, then. I would talk to the lab about their findings. Something that knocks it back or keeps it in check might be quite safe for her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You might have to do the culture and sensitivity again, but could be worth it. Gidget's UTI responded well to plain old Clavamox -- it was undetectable while she was on it -- it's just that she needed different meds to get rid of the nasty thing for good. Fingers crossed you can find something to help your girl without making her ill!

"Sensitive" doesn't mean that it's going to work. I agree with Batmom..................try something that is more "user friendly.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

No suggestions. Just sending good thoughts to you and Aggie.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.