Calloused Nose

Guest westexhound

Guest westexhound

We got a new foster last night and she has a long, raised callous along the base of her nose. It is just kind of dry and leathery looking (NOT red or pink). We've started to put some vaseline on it.

What do you think?

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

Ewwww, that's nasty! My old boy (lab/pointer) had the same thing and I also put Vaseline on it, twice a day if I remembered. As long as I remembered, the thing went away. If I started forgetting, it came back.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I wouldn't use Vaseline--it's petroleum based. I'd try udder cream.

I'd look for the folks who has a dog with lupus. They can probably tell you if it looks like what their dogs have.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

No idea

I know my old gal Brookie started to get a more calloused nose but there really was no reason I could figure out.

Doesn't look like it was an ill fitting muzzle because there are no other marks from a muzzle.

Could it be from being sunburn? I'm really just guessing here

Guest westexhound

No idea

I know my old gal Brookie started to get a more calloused nose but there really was no reason I could figure out.

Doesn't look like it was an ill fitting muzzle because there are no other marks from a muzzle.

Could it be from being sunburn? I'm really just guessing here

Yeah possibly sunburn. She is just off a lengthy stay on the farm after a short racing career.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=Killer+Saige&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland= (I'll add a photo shortly)

Our director asked her vet about Lupus, and was advised that it was most likely not due to the fact that it was not red.

Guest Tokolos

Sprinkles has discoid lupus. You can see that his nose has the typical loss of pigment and smooth texture. Sprinkles's nose will also scab off and on. While this dog has some scabbing, his nose is still black and has retained its texture. This may just be a fungal infection.

4713062546_ed32a8c55d_b.jpg

Edited by Tokolos

Guest westexhound

Before and After photos.

10/01/10, the day we got her.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

10/04/10, 3 days of applying Bag Balm twice a day.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

Edited by westexhound

Yep,,,, Bag Balm,, the wonder gel!

that stuff is THE BEST!!!

:yay

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Sprinkles has discoid lupus. You can see that his nose has the typical loss of pigment and smooth texture. Sprinkles's nose will also scab off and on. While this dog has some scabbing, his nose is still black and has retained its texture. This may just be a fungal infection.

Sorry to hijack, but Gia's nose has starting looking like this (as well as her upper lip) and while we haven't taken her to the vet yet, we've pretty much self-diagnosed lupus. (The vet visit is coming soon, I promise!). Is there anything that goes along with this disease other than the facial disfigurement?

That's wonderful that her nose is improving and looks like a nose again! Not sure if Bag Balm is all that different from Vaseline (they are both petroleum based) but I'm no chemist. Besides, whatever works is the important thing and her nose is lovely!

Lisa B.

Guest westexhound

Wow, what an improvement! Way to go Bill!

Thanks Judy! She goes to her forever home the end of this week. So we were really glad to see this clear up this quick.

That's wonderful that her nose is improving and looks like a nose again! Not sure if Bag Balm is all that different from Vaseline (they are both petroleum based) but I'm no chemist. Besides, whatever works is the important thing and her nose is lovely!

Yeah, Bag Balm is just another brand of Utter Cream, and I think they are both just kind of "Extra Strength" vasoline.

Be aware that it may very well come back. I could never get my old guy's to clear up and stay away. Once it was clear and I stopped moisturizing it, it would gradually return.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

What a huge difference

Maybe some dogs just have dry noses and this is what happens when they dry out :dunno

and wow, that was a super quick foster :lol

Guest westexhound

Be aware that it may very well come back. I could never get my old guy's to clear up and stay away. Once it was clear and I stopped moisturizing it, it would gradually return.

Yeah! I am pretty sure this is going to be the case, because even though the nose is nice and smooth and black, it isn’t the typical moist cold nose, it is very dry.

and wow, that was a super quick foster

Yup! It was designed that way. The lady here in Midland put an application in a week or so ago, and we needed to get this dog off the farm as soon as possible, Soooo, I went up to Lubbock to pick her up after spaying last Friday, We did the home visit Monday with the dog. All went well, and it was agreed since they both work it would be best if they took the dog at the beginning of the weekend.

I guess Missy is in her forever home now? I noticed she is not listed on the GPA-LA web site any more.

My old boy with the nose thing... his nose was also always dry and warm, never cold and wet. Weird. Well, at least you repaired it and you know how to treat it going forward. And here's something... when you have shorts on and the nose is in bad condition... boy, that hurts when they nudge you for petting!

Lisa B.

Guest westexhound

My old boy with the nose thing... his nose was also always dry and warm, never cold and wet. Weird. Well, at least you repaired it and you know how to treat it going forward. And here's something... when you have shorts on and the nose is in bad condition... boy, that hurts when they nudge you for petting!

:lol Yup! That would, especially with this gal, she nudges pretty firmly. :lol

Guest Tokolos

Sorry to hijack, but Gia's nose has starting looking like this (as well as her upper lip) and while we haven't taken her to the vet yet, we've pretty much self-diagnosed lupus. (The vet visit is coming soon, I promise!). Is there anything that goes along with this disease other than the facial disfigurement?

Giadog, from what I've read and been told, the discoid lupus may spread to the foot pads, but that's about it. It won't develop into systemic lupus.

Guest Tokolos

Sprinkles doesn't seem to be in pain at all. I touch the nose to put creams and such on it, and he doesn't seem to react at all. He's 5 now, and he doesn't seem to have any problems with his pads---none that I can see or feel anyway. I'm not sure how often it spreads to the pads, but he seems fine in that regard for now.

His nose actually looks really good in that picture. There's no scabbing. He has a bit of scabbing now, but that seems to come and go at random. He's such a happy fellow that I really don't even think much about the nose unless it's particular calloused or someone posts about it.