Raw Feeding Poll

Guest mcsheltie

Raw Feeding Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many times a day do you feed?

• once
    • twice
    • three or more (please add an explaination)
  2. 2. How much does your male eat each day?

3. 3. How much does your female eat each day?

Guest mcsheltie

I go back and forth between feeding once and twice a day depending on my schedule. I am curious what other raw feeders are doing.

You can enter more than one dog of each sex if they eat different amounts. Please post more details about your other dogs.

I raw feed 5 dogs - 4 greyhounds and a whippet. I didn't add info on all of them, but on the one female and one male. My males actually eat between 24 - 28 ounces per day per dog. They are all on the smaller size: 64-68 pounds. My female is 56 pounds. They have a RMB meal in the morning after a good walk and before I leave for work and another meal after their evening walk when I get home. They are going to be fed as soon as I get finished with this post, actually. Their evening meal varies - tripe, muscle meat (beef, chicken, turkey, venison, duck), RMB, fish, organ meat. I don't do any veggies at all - except dehydrated as a treat.

I started raw feeding because my first dog has IBS and simply cannot eat kibble. My vet gave me a choice - lose him or feed a prescription diet or raw. Didn't seem to be much of a choice! Now, 4 years later, he is doing great. The others are raw fed, too, because there was no way that any of them would eat kibble over raw! And, yes, the dogs eat better than I do. :P But, they are all happy, healthy, at a good weight and have pretty good teeth.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I feed twice a day because my male has IBD, and I don't think he would do well on a once a day plan. He eats a little over 1 lb a meal, but I said 2 lbs a day. One of the girls is 60 lbs, and one is 70 lbs, but the bigger girl is built like a tank, so in order to keep her from getting fat, they both eat almost the same amount, around 1 1/2 lbs for the day.

Guest Cris_M

I couldn't do the poll because it won't let you leave a section blank. (I don't have a female.)

I have a male who eats 3 pounds daily (4% of his body weight) and eats three times a day.

Before DH goes to work, he likes to feed Duncan a light meal. It's important to DH, but Duncan won't eat more than that early in the morning. Then, Duncan won't eat much at any one meal so he needs two more meals during the day.

He's a hard keeper who would starve in the wild. Good thing he is happy with a soft bed and humans at his bidding.

Ollie eats raw duck. He had a problem with some bones last week so I started giving Teddy some of the duck parts. Since he likes it so much, he is now on raw too. My other 3 for 3 different reasons do not get raw.

So, I feed 2 x a day. Elsie gets fed 3 x a day.

My 2 boys who get raw: Ollie- 14 oz 2 x a day. He weighs 92 pounds . Teddy- 12.5 oz 2x a day he weighs 83. They all get a raw duck neck at about 9pm every night (Expect Beau of course, IBD)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I feed my two twice a day. It allows me more variety for their daily meals. I will feed them gound meat in the morning, along with some organ meat, such as gizzards. The evening meal consists of more boney stuff, such as chicken quarters, duck necks, duck feet, and pork necks. If their poops become too granular, I'll cut back on the boney stuff.

I have, from time to time, skipped the morning meal and they don't seem to mind. However, if I skip dinner, Snowy has a barking fit and Daisy whines, so I never miss dinner. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest cyndiandsaoirse

I have a 50ish pound female (I say -ish because at 12yo she is losing weight on us). I feed her breakfast and dinner, because of her weight issues. She gets oatmeal and poached eggs for breakfast, and raw diet (Barfworld patties) with joint supplements and a little warm water for dinner, plus two chicken wings. I used to feed a turkey neck, but she cannot eat them anymore due to the loss of a large tooth on the side.

Some days she will not eat breakfast, sometimes she saves it for lunch, sometimes it gets mixed in with her dinner. Some nights she doesn't eat her bones, instead she "buries" them in her towel. Some nights she eats everything and looks at me like "Is that it?"

I think you have to go by your greyhound. I have a dog that will stop eating when full- some greys are apparently bottomless pits.

I recommend Dr. Billinghurst's book (Give Your Dog a Bone)- not necessarily to follow the diet, which I used to do but it's very labor intensive. But rather, because he explains how dogs evolved, and how they eat, and what they need.